• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FOMO

Lisaloo

DIS Veteran
Fear. Of. Missing. Out.
I have it when it comes to Disney. I don't have it when it comes to anything else! I have grossly overbooked my family for our trip in two weeks and I am going to cancel some things. Honestly, reading about everyone's awesome experiences has just increased my FOMO for this trip. I need to reel it in quite a bit.

What kinds of things do you mean that you have booked and are considering canceling?

Don't cancel FP+ -- they are free, and IMHO vital to enjoying a summer trip.

ADRs? I am in the minority on this, but I rarely do TS at WDW. The time it takes out of a park day, the expense, the pressure to meet the reservation time all are negatives to me. I have some favorite CS places that have very good food at a fraction of the TS price. Maybe a couple TS meals over the course of the trip, but definitely not every day.

Tours? The only one I have done (and sadly, it is no longer offered) was the Epcot Segway tour. Loved it! If you have more than one tour booked, pick a favorite and do just one.

Relax! If you are worried about what you are missing, you aren't enjoying what you are experiencing. Be with your family, embrace your time together, and HAVE FUN!

Don't cancel FP+ -- they are free, and IMHO vital to enjoying a summer trip.

ADRs? I am in the minority on this, but I rarely do TS at WDW. The time it takes out of a park day, the expense, the pressure to meet the reservation time all are negatives to me. I have some favorite CS places that have very good food at a fraction of the TS price. Maybe a couple TS meals over the course of the trip, but definitely not every day.

DITTO!!!

While I am a Hard Core Foodie (I test recipes for 2 food magazines) and I love to try new foods at WDW, the now mandatory pre-planning and the expense ($$$) are no longer worth it to me. $42 for a buffet for ONE person without any alcohol???? Hard to justify. I ad _I_ set aside 3 hours for a TS (travel time, wait time, eat time, travel back time) and that is not going during busy seasons.

I will keep the Fp and ADRs (except a V&A because we have been before and don't need to do it again), it is the extra magic that is going to exhaust us. DH isn't involved in the planning and I am doing it all as a surprise to him and the kids, but I think it's too much to even enjoy. We have the pirate cruise, private touring for two days, wild trek, thrill tour and cabana booked. I did cancel the wishes party and the wild trek and thrill tours are on the chopping block. That will free up two days for park hopping and resort time.

Fear. Of. Missing. Out.
I have it when it comes to Disney. I don't have it when it comes to anything else! I have grossly overbooked my family for our trip in two weeks and I am going to cancel some things. Honestly, reading about everyone's awesome experiences has just increased my FOMO for this trip. I need to reel it in quite a bit.

Let me just say: My first WDW trip (with my sister in 1999), we were there for 4 nights/3 full park days. There were SO many things we didn't do. But there was plenty we did do, and it was an awesome trip! I get the FOMO thing (love the acronym!), but at some point, you have to step back and breathe. Even now, doing my annual solos, every year I have things I plan to do that just don't work out. It's OK!

I'm going against the PPs and saying I always like having some TS meals - there are places I like (Via Napoli!), places I want to try, and sometimes it's nice to sit down somewhere and relax and enjoy a meal instead of always watching the clock.

My biggest advice for you: Look at your plans and be honest - What things do you and your family really WANT to do, and what things have you planned because people here have said, "You HAVE to do these!!!" Set your own honest top priorities. Try to just embrace whatever you are able to do, and don't sweat what you don't do. Most important, don't get caught in the trap of "I have to get my money's worth!" I think that pressure leads to more stress and meltdowns and dissatisfaction than anything else.

Trust me, if you miss a parade or skip a FP, you will still have plenty of fun.

Edit - I was writing while you posted your more recent post. I'm just going to say, I have never sprung for any of the "extra magic" things (tours, etc.) and I don't think I'd get so bogged down with those. I bet your family will have a great time without a lot of extras, but I'd take a look at which ones are really the most important to you. I have no problem with ADRs and FPs, but the extras mean too much scheduling to me. Just IMO.

Last edited:
That's a good idea to cancel some of the extras if you are feeling overwhelmed.

Remember, it's going to be really hot and stormy too (summer in Orlando!), so you will not be able to get as much done as you could during the cooler months.

I like to make a must-do list of a few items for everyone in my family and then try to get those done. Everything else is a bonus.

Have a great trip :)

I get it, which is why I plan so much. However, by the end of the trip I just.don't.care. And I have learned that some stuff will go by the wayside once we get there. I expect it and it's ok with me. My advice is: if it's important to you and/or non-refundable, plan it for earlier in the trip.

If your plans are cancellable/refundable, I would keep them until you have to make a decision. That gives you options that you wouldn't have otherwise.

How old are your kids? I booked a lot of character meals for our first two trips and I felt it was worth it because we actually saved a lot of time over waiting in line to meet them. If your family is not interested in characters, I agree about canceling the TS meals. Also, we have never done any of the tours. They sound really cool, but my kids don't know anything about them, so they don't feel like they are missing out on anything.

I will keep the Fp and ADRs (except a V&A because we have been before and don't need to do it again), it is the extra magic that is going to exhaust us. DH isn't involved in the planning and I am doing it all as a surprise to him and the kids, but I think it's too much to even enjoy. We have the pirate cruise, private touring for two days, wild trek, thrill tour and cabana booked. I did cancel the wishes party and the wild trek and thrill tours are on the chopping block. That will free up two days for park hopping and resort time.
There's so much to do at the parks.

I try to book one special thing each trip. On our first trip, it was the Sleeping Beauty tea at GF. My daughter did the Alice In Wonderland Tea a different time. Last time, it was the Wishes Dessert Party (which was a bust). This time, I'm in between the Marceline to MK Tour, Hoop de Doo or La Nouba.

Very scheduled days will wear you out after awhile, but something special here are there can be fun.

If you have the tour guide for two days then definitely cancel the Thrill Tour, it's definitely not necessary! You could always add an hour and a half or to your touring days for approximately the same cost.

The Wild Africa Trek was wonderful but it might be quite hot during the summer. Maybe replace that with the Epcot specialty boat cruise if there is one available? We found that very relaxing and a fabulous way to watch Illuminations.

My kids are 12, 13, 15 and 17 so we have really outgrown the character meals.

Thanks for all the great advice. Definitely slimming things down so it isn't so go-go-go the entire time. And DSs and DH aren't in the know so they won't miss anything. DD12 is helping me plan so I will keep something special for her.

My kids are 12, 13, 15 and 17 so we have really outgrown the character meals.

Thanks for all the great advice. Definitely slimming things down so it isn't so go-go-go the entire time. And DSs and DH aren't in the know so they won't miss anything. DD12 is helping me plan so I will keep something special for her.

My daughter is 13 and she has outgrown the characters too. I do find myself trying to find other stuff to fill up that spot that characters used to occupy ... hence the possible tour or show. I get it.

if you get rid of FOMO, don't catch ATMS!!! (Afraid To Miss Something)

Those 2 tours, while great, may just give your family a "another tour??" attitude....cancelling them might give your family time to relax and wander, be spontaneous.....

And you can save them for next time!!!!

I sometimes get the FOMO as well when I'm planning-and that's without all of the extras you have booked! I would cut down some things just so you and your family don't feel so overwhelmed. Also don't forget the unexpected changes that can come up. One year we happened to find out that there was a Jack and Sally meet and greet in DTD-they are so rare and our favorites! We scrapped our DHS plans to line up 4 hours early. Stuff happens, plans change. Hope you have an awesome trip!!

I used to feel that way because I was afraid that I'd never get to go back but then I discovered that wasn't true

Sometimes, while in the parks, I get that same feeling but I remind myself that it wasn't true the first time, nor is true this time!

I'd definitely cut back on the tours. Personally, with the ages of your kids, I'd keep some table service as they are part of the Disney experience, imho. And, my opinion, even without kids, we still go to at least one character meal because in Disney, everyone is a kid!

Can you and your dh do something without the kids? Dinner perhaps? Just a few hours? Would that be a surprise for him or is that something you don't want to do?

Where are you staying? maybe I missed it in here?

We have one down day and two water park days. It makes it all relaxing. I only regret missing RR last summer of all I ditched from original plan.

Glad to hear that you have 2 WP days. Our family just finds them so much fun and a chance to relax. Your kids are perfect ages for it also! I also suffer some FOMO as I always think this trip will be my last. Actually, the next trip will be my last (waiting for Avatar to open, then doing a solo trip). Have fun!

_I_ would cancel the tours other than the private touring. They are great for when you return someday. But as PPers have said, SLOW IT DOWN. Your scheduling isn't allowing time to wander, absorb the details, repeat rides over and over and over if you like.

With ages of your kids, I would not cancel all TS, but maybe drop to one every other day--and inside the park you are touring.

Year ago I took three teens (first visit) and DH on a surprise trip. I didn't plan NEARLY as much as you did--and it was a train wreck. Because the kids were not involved in the planning, they had NO idea what they wanted to do, and they were so overwhelmed and overstimulated that *all* they wanted to do was hang out in the hotel room and eat junk food.

IF this is your first family trip (or first in a long time), I beg you to involve the kids in the planning. Your kids are old enough to really grasp what they want to do. Then SLOW IT WAY DOWN. If they like coasters and you do RD and they want to ride BTMRR 5x in a row, let it happen! Let the family linger over ice cream in a shady spot at AK and people watch. Watch Illuminations every night if that is what the kids want. Allow some midday breaks to nap/rest/swim and EVERYONE will be a lot nicer to everyone else (TRUST ME on this one!)

You are going to miss out on some things. ACCEPT IT. But having new things to do is what draws us addicts back time and time again!

_I_ would cancel the tours other than the private touring. They are great for when you return someday. But as PPers have said, SLOW IT DOWN. Your scheduling isn't allowing time to wander, absorb the details, repeat rides over and over and over if you like.

With ages of your kids, I would not cancel all TS, but maybe drop to one every other day--and inside the park you are touring.

Year ago I took three teens (first visit) and DH on a surprise trip. I didn't plan NEARLY as much as you did--and it was a train wreck. Because the kids were not involved in the planning, they had NO idea what they wanted to do, and they were so overwhelmed and overstimulated that *all* they wanted to do was hang out in the hotel room and eat junk food.

IF this is your first family trip (or first in a long time), I beg you to involve the kids in the planning. Your kids are old enough to really grasp what they want to do. Then SLOW IT WAY DOWN. If they like coasters and you do RD and they want to ride BTMRR 5x in a row, let it happen! Let the family linger over ice cream in a shady spot at AK and people watch. Watch Illuminations every night if that is what the kids want. Allow some midday breaks to nap/rest/swim and EVERYONE will be a lot nicer to everyone else (TRUST ME on this one!)

You are going to miss out on some things. ACCEPT IT. But having new things to do is what draws us addicts back time and time again!

I like your way of thinking. It isn't a surprise trip, but the extras are all surprises. We have all been to WDW multiple times, but we have gone from every year visits to every couple of years now. We probably will take an even longer break after this trip because the older my kids get, the easier travel becomes and we really enjoy exploring different places. I think I'm trying to cram a whole lot of Disney into the trip knowing we might not be back for a few years.

I did cancel the wild Africa trek and ultimate thrill tours. Canceled V&A. Canceled Boma for the family and reserved Jiko for just DH and me. The kids can order room service or get CS since we are staying at AKL. We are keeping the guide for 2 days and I am not planning any RDs so the kids can relax in the mornings. Keeping the cabana at TL because that is my treat. I'm seeing some breathing room! And I don't feel any FOMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter