Followup housekeeping poll #5 Please participate!

Check all that apply for you on checkout day.

• I load and run the dishwasher when I am ready to check out.

• I take the sheets off the beds and ready them for clean ones

• I consolidate all towels in one spot (like the tub)

• I tie up all garbage and recycles and replace the liners

• I dispose of all food and drink...leave nothing in the unit

• I make sure remotes and all items used are replaced to their original location.

• Leave a note for housekeeping about missing items

• Call maintenance if something is broken or not working.

• Return all pool towels to the pool area

• I clean up any spots or stains caused by us while there.

• Call mousekeeping when we are ready to leave so they know the unit is empty.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
We had interesting results from the 4 original housekeeping polls I ran last week. In the recap thread, DVC_John suggested another poll, and I have to say I think this one is going to be the REAL telling one!

Once again, this is a multiple answer poll. Check all that apply to you. It's anonymous too, so please feel free to be honest!

My thoughts are that all of these things make the turn around time easier for housekeping and might help get someone else settled earlier. It really only takes me a few minutes to do this so why not?

My thoughts are that all of these things make the turn around time easier for housekeping and might help get someone else settled earlier. It really only takes me a few minutes to do this so why not?

Absolutely, but from many posts on these boards, I'm also quite sure most people aren't doing those things. Of course, perhaps many of us here are a bit better about doing them than folks not on these boards.

These things are all nice to do, but I do feel many people will consider them "optinal."

There is one item that didn't make your list that I would strongly encourage *everyone* to do. If you've used one of the pullout couches - leave with it open (and preferably stripped) to let mousekeeping know it needs service. In all my trips, the only mousekeeping problem I've ever had was pulling the couch to find that it hadn't been cleaned from the last guest.

If the dishwasher are big enough, why don't all DVC member place unclean dishes in before they leave. It would make sense to me.:yay:

I have to say I do some of the things on the list - others I never even thought of - but will do next time I stay. Thanks for the hints!

These things are all nice to do, but I do feel many people will consider them "optinal."

There is one item that didn't make your list that I would strongly encourage *everyone* to do. If you've used one of the pullout couches - leave with it open (and preferably stripped) to let mousekeeping know it needs service. In all my trips, the only mousekeeping problem I've ever had was pulling the couch to find that it hadn't been cleaned from the last guest.

I'm not sure what you mean by "optinal". Do you mean "optional" or "optimal"?

Actually, your example IS covered in the above poll under removing all linens from the beds.

This would be great if all DVC members did this. Like you said "it only takes a few minutes"
Absolutely, but from many posts on these boards, I'm also quite sure most people aren't doing those things. Of course, perhaps many of us here are a bit better about doing them than folks not on these boards.
Some things others need to know. But, common sense stuff is well,:confused3

If the dishwasher are big enough, why don't all DVC member place unclean dishes in before they leave. It would make sense to me.:yay:

Yes, they're big enough, and just because it makes sense doesn't mean folks are going to do it. Our poll shows that they don't all do it anyway.

Yes, they're big enough, and just because it makes sense doesn't mean folks are going to do it. Our poll shows that they don't all do it anyway.

It would be nice if it was done, but that is why we always run a load of dishes as soon as we arrive to make sure the dishes are clean.

Mousekeeping at VGC says that the owners generally are much cleaner and not as hard on the units as the other guests. I think that is the same at WDW as well.

Are you going to do a recap post, Diane?

I'm not sure what you mean by "optinal". Do you mean "optional" or "optimal"?

Actually, your example IS covered in the above poll under removing all linens from the beds.
Sorry, I meant to type optional.

The problem with the polls is you have a limited number of options to give us. Stripping all the beds is different from stripping the couch. I could care less if somebody strips the beds*. The bed is going to get stipped... it's just whether the member or mouskeeping does it. The problem with the couches is that mousekeeping apparently doesn't always change them if they don't know they have been used.

Same poll issue with the diswasher. We always load the dishwasher, but we don't run it (someone once told me that mousekeeping has to run it anyway so it's a waste if we do... don't know if that's true but I see little harm in not turing it on.) If people aren't checking that box, it doesn't mean they aren't loading the washer, just that they aren't loading and running it.

*Yes, "these things make the turn around time easier for housekeping and might help get someone else settled earlier." But so would scrubbing the toilet. And I'm not expecting members to do that when they leave.

We take the sheets off the beds before we leave. If we've been using the pull-outs, we take those sheets off, too, and leave the sofa open.

Cyn

We do everything on the list. Being a believer in karma, our feeling is if it helps someone else get into their room quicker....

I do it all, except the last one. I've never called housekeeping upon leaving, I'm typically out no later than 10:30. I leave the Do Not Disturb sign till that point and I remove it as I exit.

As far as putting the dirty sheets/towels in a corner, I've found over the years and travelling all over, it prevents us from leaving behind stuff (ie: teddies/socks in the sheets), it's part of my departure ritual!

Well I would say we do most of the things on the list just not necessarily at check out. If I notice something missing I've already called when I noticed it. Broken things are called when I notice. I do turn on the dishwasher so the dishes are complete. Most of the time I call housekeeping unless we are leaving rigth at 11 then I think they should realize we are out.

Not sure were the remotes are when we arrive but we always leave them by the TV.

Denise in MI

I didn't check notifying DVC about missing or broken items because that is not something we do on checkout day. If we find anything missing, dirty, or broken, we call right away.

We personally have never had a dirty villa, but we have had items missing or not working. I attribute that to the complete lack of supervision of housekeeping. You can't expect a housekeeper to check every lightbulb, but if the supervisor checked each unit to be sure it was ready to go back into inventory, you'd have a lot fewer horror stories.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to get by with just one supervisor for multiple resorts! :rolleyes: That's not supervision -- that's a scheduling person.

We don't load the dishwasher because I'll wash all the dishes we used as we use them and put them away. So there aren't any dirty dishes when we leave. And I hate to use the dishwasher for four or five dishes - not economical or environmental. So I'll hand wash them.

I do almost all of what is mentioned here. I guess I think of my DVC resorts as a 'home' and not just a hotel stay. So I think if I was staying at your home how would I leave it upon my leaving and I would take extra care since it is your home.

Well DVC is my second home so I try to do everything I can to keep it up and be able to flip that room as quickly as possible. Many of us are truly ecstatic when we arrive early and the rooms are available. If we all help each other out they can 'flip' that room much quicker.

I have to say you gave me a couple good additional things I can do the next time I am down there in October...thank you! This is a great poll and attention getter...way to go!:worship:

I didn't check the one about removing all food from the kitchen. I do clean out all our left-overs and things from the cabinets. But if there are things I think housekeeping can use, I'll leave them on the counter for them. (Unopened items, sodas, etc.)

Also, I don't call housekeeping when we're done, but only because we usually get out the door very close to check-out. I will leave the Do Not Disturb sign out all morning, though, and take it off as we leave.

We do all of the things listed and leave the pull-out sofa open as well.

Any unopened soda we bring down to the guys outside at the bellhops. They have a fridge in the baggage storage area and can use them for themselves. They always appreciate it.

Hopefully everyone will start doing these things on the list & we'll all be happy getting our villa's EARLY!! :thumbsup2
Thanks for these great polls Diane! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter