Flying with Infant

I've flown with both my son and daughter. My son, who is now 4.5 years old has always flown in a seat and in his carseat until he was 3 (he outgrew it and was big enough for the seatbelt). He always did great. My daughter has flown twice as a lap child. The first time was not by choice. We were taking her for medical treatment in Chicago and the tickets were donated to us. She was 4 months old and did great. The second time she was 13 months old and it was AWFUL! She did not want to sit still and she cried at times. We are flying at the end of the week with her in a seat in her carseat. Hoping it will be better. FAA rules state that children cannot be seated in the emergency exit row (can't remember age cutoff) and you can't use a carseat in the row immediately in front of or behind the emergency exit row (I found that out yesterday and had to change our seats via customer service on one of our flights). I would try not to be over the wings as they tend to get the noise from the engines. If possible you may want to be toward the front, but honestly it won't matter that much because I've noticed it generally takes longer to get off the plane when you have a carseat to move so you might as well wait. The exception may be if you have a very short layover. By the way, make sure your carseat has a sticker on it that says it is FAA approved or they will not let you use it (we've had ours carseats checked by airlines before boarding).

FAA rules state that children cannot be seated in the emergency exit row (can't remember age cutoff)

The minimum age is 15. See http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title14-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title14-vol3-sec121-585.pdf.

and you can't use a carseat in the row immediately in front of or behind the emergency exit row

This may depend on the airline. FAA guidance indicates that car seats are prohibited in neighboring rows if an airline's emergency procedures would have the overwing exit hatch discarded in the row in front of or behind the exit row. See http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf. But some aircraft - such as certain models of the 757 - have exit rows with doors instead of overwing hatches, and some aircraft also have overwing hatches that have hinges. So presumably an airline would not need to prohibit car seats in neighboring rows for those aircraft (but might do so any way, to avoid confusion).

Buy her a seat, strap her into the carseat, she will sleep. If the cost of 1 seat will make or break your vacation...you can't afford a vacation. Safety first IMO.

any suggestions since we are purchasing a seat as to where on the aircraft is best. Front middle back. Im leaning towards the back even as much as the last row so that i have my own little corner with noone behind us and being able to see everyone in front of us. puts us close to bathrooms in case of diaper change. i dont know only downfall is last off which could bad if it was a bad flight.

I have flown with an infant numerous times and only encountered a changing table in the forward lav - and of course my kids ALWAYS blowout on the plane.

This was the best thing I did and didn't know how AWSOME it was until the thought of not having it crossed my mind. I had borrowed a baby Bjorne. So easy to walk on plane and carry my purse and carryon. Also I used a stroller thru the park with my 11 mo. And when we got in line she went into the Baby Bjorne. She could face either way. And on the plane I'd have her facing me. Most baby's will be quite content to be that close to their parent. Even if you choose to purchase a seat the Baby Bjorne will still be a great benefit.

This was the best thing I did and didn't know how AWSOME it was until the thought of not having it crossed my mind. I had borrowed a baby Bjorne. So easy to walk on plane and carry my purse and carryon. Also I used a stroller thru the park with my 11 mo. And when we got in line she went into the Baby Bjorne. She could face either way. And on the plane I'd have her facing me. Most baby's will be quite content to be that close to their parent. Even if you choose to purchase a seat the Baby Bjorne will still be a great benefit.

Be aware some carriers are not certified for air travel use.

Warning re bjorn/slings/wraps and aircraft - all airlines prohibit them for takeoff and landing and many airlines ban them entirely. The individual airlines website has the details in the traveling with baby section where they address carseats etc.

Otherwise Yes it is a lifesaver for a baby at Disney, especially in lines and pavilions where you ca't take a stroller !

We're giving a Disney vacation as a gift to kids/grandkids, who are joining us for a week at Bay Lake Tower. This will be the first time the grandchildren have ever flown. Both mom and dad are seasoned business travellers, but have no experience with flying as a family. We'll be in Florida for an extra week before they join us, so won't be there to help at the airport or on the plane.

I have a slight variation to the question that's being discussed here. How does the equation change when there are two kids? Older child will be nearly 3 for the trip, so will have her own seat. Debating a seat for the 11 month old. Cost isn't necessarily a consideration, I'm just trying to book what's most convenient. They initially told us they'd lap-hold both children, and didn't need tickets for either. We now understand the rules better, and know the 3 y/o needs her own seat. Is it better to lab hold the little one so all four can sit together in a 3-seat grouping, or spit them up across the aisle and have both kids with their own seats? We're flying Southwest and we will purchase the automatic check-in for them so they're guaranteed to board with the A group.

Flying from Virginia, which is a two-hour direct flight to Orlando. Flight time is 1:00 pm, which is nap time for both kids. I think they're hoping both kids will zonk out for at least part of the trip.

in a 3-seat grouping, or spit them up across the aisle and have both kids with their own seats? We're flying Southwest and we will purchase the automatic check-in for them so they're guaranteed to board with the A group.

It's even better to have two directly in front of the other two, on the same side of the plane. It sounds like they're flying Southwest; the rows aren't directly opposite each other. And, um, it's always safest for each child to a seat.

I have a slight variation to the question that's being discussed here. How does the equation change when there are two kids? Older child will be nearly 3 for the trip, so will have her own seat. Debating a seat for the 11 month old. Cost isn't necessarily a consideration, I'm just trying to book what's most convenient. They initially told us they'd lap-hold both children, and didn't need tickets for either. We now understand the rules better, and know the 3 y/o needs her own seat. Is it better to lab hold the little one so all four can sit together in a 3-seat grouping, or spit them up across the aisle and have both kids with their own seats? We're flying Southwest and we will purchase the automatic check-in for them so they're guaranteed to board with the A group.

Please note buying EBCI does not guarantee you A boarding. Many people get B boarding. The family will be eligible for family boarding between the A & B group.

For an 11 month old and a short trip, I would fly the younger child as a lap baby. Be sure and bring the baby's birth certificate; WN will check it for a lap baby.

I have flown with both my children when they were 10 months. I had my DD as a lap baby until we hit the flight that was so turbulent they didn't serve drinks. I was a nervous wreck. After that, I only flew with my children in their own seat. They were safer. As for carrying the car seat, I wore it on my back with the back of the car seat against my back and my arms through the straps. The car seat needs to be installed in a window seat so as not to impede passengers getting in and out of the row.

The Baby Bjorn is a great trip. Babies get heavy waiting in those lines. We were lucky that our children would nap in the stroller. I learned a couple of great tips on here.

We brought a receiving blanket and wooden clothes pins and would pin the blanket on the stroller shade to shield the sun out.

We had a change of clothes and diapering items in a very large ziploc bag. That way we could just take the bag out when needed and they stayed dry in case of rain.

Have fun, I have fond memories of both of my children during their first trip to WDW at 10 months.

As earlier PP mentiond, EBCI does not guarantee you an A boarding position. But, the family should be eligible for family boarding unless they do away with it for the flight. Sometimes they do that if there are many toddlers/infants on board who would be eligible for family boarding.

We're giving a Disney vacation as a gift to kids/grandkids, who are joining us for a week at Bay Lake Tower. This will be the first time the grandchildren have ever flown. Both mom and dad are seasoned business travellers, but have no experience with flying as a family. We'll be in Florida for an extra week before they join us, so won't be there to help at the airport or on the plane.

Flying from Virginia, which is a two-hour direct flight to Orlando. Flight time is 1:00 pm, which is nap time for both kids. I think they're hoping both kids will zonk out for at least part of the trip.

We are from VA also right outside Winchester, VA. What airline you flying and out of which airport. We are flying jetblue out of DCA is a little further away from us but much cheaper.

We are from VA also right outside Winchester, VA. What airline you flying and out of which airport. We are flying jetblue out of DCA is a little further away from us but much cheaper.
SWA out of Norfolk

I would say it depends on the children I went with a lap and a seat with my will be 17mo and my turning 3 I think it will work out best if they are across the aisle they will yell to each other and will want to play together they also can watch the same video player if they are seated together.

Thank you all for the very valuable information. I am planning a trip for our family next March with my new little GD and did not think a seat was needed. Very eye opening and scary that I could have planned not to buy her a seat. What was I thinking.:confused:

Thank you all for the very valuable information. I am planning a trip for our family next March with my new little GD and did not think a seat was needed. Very eye opening and scary that I could have planned not to buy her a seat. What was I thinking.:confused:
Oh, don't worry about that!!! We've all been there, done that!!
Funny, but sad, story?? I was on the train from Providence RI to NYC. We made a stop in Ct..as usual. A couple, with a young baby, took seats behind us. Well, there were some issues with the ride, so we had to remain stopped for awhile and passengers started chatting to each other. The young man behind me was obviously in an airline uniform of some sort, so I asked him about it. He was a pilot for Continental (if I remember correctly) and had been called in to sub for another pilot. He was heading to Newark!! And quite worried about making it in time. Anyway...his wife told me she had been a FA, before their baby had been born. The baby was about 6 months or so. We got to talking about flying and such. I asked them how they felt about lap babies. Surprisingly? They were both all for it!!! Now, I'm not sure if they felt that way since they could probably fly a lot without paying, so having to get a seat for the baby would be an issue. But, when I asked them if they were afraid of turbulence or other issues? 'Oh no...that so seldom happens that we just don't worry about it. It's perfectly fine to fly with a baby in your lap!!' I was shocked!! All I know is that it would take only one time for my baby to bounce off the ceiling for me to change my ways. Who wants to take that chance??? Not me. But then again, I'm the one who has the seat belt on at all times!! Just cautious I guess. I have seen what 'white air' can do....do not want to chance that.

I won't sugar coat it -flying with my kids when they were under 2 was not fun. I vividly remember a flight when my oldest was 9 months old. An hour in to our 5 hour flight and my husband looked and me and said, "One hour down, four to go." I wasn't sure we were going to make it. The problem is that at that age they are used to moving around on their own and get very frustrated at being confined to a seat.

The best thing to do is have some new toys for your child. Bring them out one at a time, and wait until she is getting bored with one before bringing out the next one. The novelty will distract her and keep her happy.

OP, you've gotten some great advice in this thread and it sounds like you are going to get your child a seat on the plane. I just wanted to add that if your child still fits in the infant car seat at 10 months you should use the infant seat instead of a convertible. It's a lot easier to carry the infant seat and a baseless install is very easy on the plane. Convertibles can be a pain because they are usually large and awkward to carry.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter