Flying with dairy allergy

hamm1207

Alaskan DIS Veteran
If we're flying into WDW and our kiddo (1 year old) has a dairy allergy, what are our options in the airport? Have you found many airports that offer alternative milks (we use coconut, almond and rice), or should I bring some from home and put it in our liquids bag?

I would either make due without depending on the length of the flight and if he/she could get by on juice or water - or bring your own. Since the child is only a year old it will be considered exempt from the 3-1-1 rule as is formula etc.

More info here :
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children

from that website -
Notify the TSA Officer

Formula, breast milk and juice for infants or toddlers are permitted through the security checkpoint. Separate formula, breast milk and juice from other liquids, gels and aerosols limited to 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters.

Inform the TSA officer at the beginning of the screening process that you carry formula, breast milk and juice in excess of 3.4 ounces in your carry-on bag. These liquids are typically screened by X-ray.

As an adult with a dairy allergy, my recommendation is to assume there won't be any and be pleasantly surprised if you manage to find some.

That said, I have seen alternate milks in some of the airports I have traveled through. However, what types and how available (if at all) varies widely.

SW

Give your child milk before you get to the airport if it's a must.

On travel days my kids all get a bag of cereal and water for the drive. No one gets cows/soy/almond milk.

Then I buy milk when I get to our destination.

I do have a child with a dairy allergy (he just turned 13). He has flown about 6 times, early am flight with out milk that day.

i just can't imagine a *need* for any sort of milk* while at an airport to the point where you might bring your own. Bring safe foods and go with water or maybe juice.

If there's a Starbucks at the airport in question they might have soy or coconut milk, though.

*apart from mama milk but that's a totally different thing than soy coconut etc milk. And if you were nursing or using formula I doubt you'd be asking about this.

i just can't imagine a *need* for any sort of milk* while at an airport to the point where you might bring your own. Bring safe foods and go with water or maybe juice.

If there's a Starbucks at the airport in question they might have soy or coconut milk, though.

*apart from mama milk but that's a totally different thing than soy coconut etc milk. And if you were nursing or using formula I doubt you'd be asking about this.
Great idea with Starbucks! I'm not a coffee person, so I didn't think to just go there and ask for a glass of milk.

FWIW I emailed the tsa and they replied with this..

"When traveling with an infant or toddler, passengers are allowed to bring more than the 3.4-ounce limit on liquids, gels, and aerosols of the following items:

• Canned, jarred, or processed baby food;
• Breast milk or pre-mixed baby formula (in a liquid or frozen state);
• Milk products;
• Juice;
• Gel or liquid-filled teethers;
• Bottled water; and
• Essential, non-prescription liquid medications (such as diaper cream)"

Great idea with Starbucks! I'm not a coffee person, so I didn't think to just go there and ask for a glass of milk.

FWIW I emailed the tsa and they replied with this..

"When traveling with an infant or toddler, passengers are allowed to bring more than the 3.4-ounce limit on liquids, gels, and aerosols of the following items:

• Canned, jarred, or processed baby food;
• Breast milk or pre-mixed baby formula (in a liquid or frozen state);
• Milk products;
• Juice;
• Gel or liquid-filled teethers;
• Bottled water; and
• Essential, non-prescription liquid medications (such as diaper cream)"

See my post #2 - :)

See my post #2 - :)
I've flown with her multiple times while still breastfeeding and it was no problem carrying breastmilk through in a cooler bag (I didn't even declare it). I just wasn't sure about alternative milks in larger quantities (as it's not 'juice') and I wanted to hear it from them that I'd be okay to carry some through.

I've flown with her multiple times while still breastfeeding and it was no problem carrying breastmilk through in a cooler bag (I didn't even declare it). I just wasn't sure about alternative milks in larger quantities (as it's not 'juice') and I wanted to hear it from them that I'd be okay to carry some through.

And as I quoted its right on the website ! but glad you got the answer from the source you preferred. A TSA agent isn't going to know the difference between "milks".

My older DD (4) always has a thermos of whole milk for our flights and that has never been an issue with 40+ flights.

My 10m old is allergic to dairy, egg and peanut. On our next Disney trip she'll hopefully be off Neocate and be taking Soy milk or Target's Ripple milk (unsure right now). I intend to bring her a thermos of the milk for the trip, then stop on our way from the airport to hotel to pick up milk for the vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter