Flying with an underwire???

Shelby5514

<font color=87005b>John Taylor is my guilty pleasu
A co-worker of mine just returned from a trip and had problems with her underwire bra setting off the metal dectectors. Has anyone else had problems??? I am about to go out and buy a "travel" bra just to avoid any hassles. What do you all think?

No, I wear underwire all the time. Plastic underwire, that, is.

Poor gal. that must have been embarrasing.

herc.

I think if your bra sets off something a woman TSA agent will wand you and then pat you down. IMO, it's no less degrading than the rest of TSA's proceedures.

I exclusively wear an underwire bra, and have never set off the metal detector when walking through security. Once I was pulled aside, 3 months after 9/11, for a random search and the wand did react with my underwire. The male who was doing the search was very nice and said "underwire bra?" And I said, "yup" and that was the end of that.

I've also never set it off. Maybe those who do set it off have just enough other metal on that the bra puts them "over the limit" so to speak.....

There was a article in the paper not long ago about that happening to someone and she had to remove her shirt right there. I don't wear underwire when I am flying. I pretty much know what is "safe" in my wardrobe now.

I always set off the detectors with my underwire. And then the guard swears that can't be it, pats me down and uses the wand, then scratches their head and says, "Hmm... I guess it is."
It's happened to often my husband and I actually have our check-in system worked out, because we know I'll always get pulled aside and examined. <sigh>

I really need to find a plastic underwire somewhere...

Just back from Wal-mart. Found a pack of 3 sports bras for $9.88, not alot of support but at least they won't cause any alarms to go off!

You're gonna laugh---last trip I said to my DH--I'd better change my bra to a non-underwire. I keep a "travel one" in the back of the drawer --just in case and will continue to use it. I don't feel like wasting time getting "wanded". Get me to Disney! Del

I fly very regularly and exclusively wear wires and have never had the alarms go off. I think most bras have plastic wires these days anyhow.

Anne

I fly frequently for work and have never had a problem. However, everytime I enter a Federal Court House, my underwire sets off the alarm. I swear, they have the equipment set at the most sensitive setting!

Disneyhappy said:
I fly frequently for work and have never had a problem. However, everytime I enter a Federal Court House, my underwire sets off the alarm. I swear, they have the equipment set at the most sensitive setting!
I entered a federal building recently and my underwire bra didn't set it off (I think mine are plastic because i have never set off the airport machine), but the small amount of metal in my hair clip did.

Shelby5514 said:
Just back from Wal-mart. Found a pack of 3 sports bras for $9.88, not alot of support but at least they won't cause any alarms to go off!

I have talk to quite a few people that have also purchased these sport bras. I guess you can look at it as one less hassle when traveling
:earsboy: .

I have noticed a brand issue - my cotton Victoria's Secret underwire ALWAYS, without fail, sets it off - I used to do day trips for work, and finally figured it out. Other brands I'm ok with. So it's one of those I wear if flying. *grin*

This may sound a little crude, but size does matter LOL I have a friend who is much more endowed them I am. Her underwire sets it off mine never has.

I always set it off,, I am a 38DD and without fail, I can always count on beeping as I go thru,,lol.

I went through Dallas and Orlando last week with an underwire and no problems at all. I think it was Victoria's Secret going to Orlando and Wacoal coming home. I even got to keep my shoes on in Orlando!

The4OfUs said:
I have noticed a brand issue - my cotton Victoria's Secret underwire ALWAYS, without fail, sets it off - I used to do day trips for work, and finally figured it out. Other brands I'm ok with. So it's one of those I wear if flying. *grin*
CarolA said:
This may sound a little crude, but size does matter LOL I have a friend who is much more endowed them I am. Her underwire sets it off mine never has.
I usually wear a cotton Victoria's Secret underwire and never set it off.
I will admit to not being very well endowed though.

I've flown about 20 times in the last year and have never set one off...think I wear Playtex and Wonderbra but always an underwire....I can't seem to find anything my size thats not an underwire lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter