Flying with a Preschooler for the First Time

Tazicket

<font color=blue>I routinely walk into 1 certain w
Our family will be flying to Disneyland later this year. It will be the first time we've ever taken DS on a plane and he will be 4. We've stuck with visiting places within driving distance up to this point, so travel logistics have never been a big deal before. I'm hoping that someone here with more travel experience will be able to help us out. :)

We're thinking we will get him a CARES harness for the plane, but how do taxis work for little ones who need car seats? Do we need to bring something with us for the taxi, or will they have a car seat? We won't really need a car while we're there - just transport to the hotel and then back to the airport at the end of the trip. Maybe one more small ride to the beach and back.

So how does that all work when you're in a strange city without your car?

When ODS was that little, we either used the plane's seat belt or his car seat (if we needed it for a rental). Every kid is different, but you may not need CARES unless your DS is an fidgety kid. Have some special things for him based on his interests. It could be some travel games, coloring books, magnetic cars, movie, special snack, etc. You will also want something in case his ears bother him. We don't do gum, so I use a lollipop instead. Sipping water would work, too. Just something that keeps him swallowing and/or moving his jaws.

Are you taking Magical Express or a taxi? DME does not allow car seats. I would not bother with one in a taxi either. We were in Naples, FL a few years ago with ODS (3) and my niece (5). We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel without car seats, no issue. I don't know what the FL law is for car seats, but we hit a stoplight right next to an officer, he looked over, clearly saw, and didn't seem phased. Obviously, a car seat is safest, but I would not take one just for one taxi ride.

If you are really concerned, what about a small, lightweight, backless booster? I am guessing it is not what he uses at home, but it would offer a safer ride without much hassle. There is even an inflatable one, BubbleBum I think. I know I have seen them in-store at BRU and Walmart if you aren't familiar.

You really don't need a CARES harness for a four year old on the plane; the regular seat belt will be fine. I would probably get a Bubblebum booster (as suggested); easy to transport.

Our family will be flying to Disneyland later this year. It will be the first time we've ever taken DS on a plane and he will be 4. We've stuck with visiting places within driving distance up to this point, so travel logistics have never been a big deal before. I'm hoping that someone here with more travel experience will be able to help us out. :)

We're thinking we will get him a CARES harness for the plane, but how do taxis work for little ones who need car seats? Do we need to bring something with us for the taxi, or will they have a car seat? We won't really need a car while we're there - just transport to the hotel and then back to the airport at the end of the trip. Maybe one more small ride to the beach and back.

So how does that all work when you're in a strange city without your car?
CARES is not for fidgeter - it's because a small person will slide right out from that lap belt in the event of heavy turbulence. We have a CARES harness and we really like it. Look at the height restrictions tho - as it doesn't for forever.

You are not *required* to use a carseat in a taxi, however we didn't feel safe with that. We bought a travel cat seat that is a harness that turns the lap and shoulder belt into a harness and brings the shoulder belt to a lower position that won't break a kids neck. I think the company is called Ridesafer? It's been terrific for travel and is approved for use in almost all US states.

CARES is really for kids younger than your DS, but if he's still under the 44 lb weight limit I suppose you could get one. Mind you, it's not a cheap investment for something he might not be able to use more than once.

Commercial transporters (like taxis) don't require child seats by law. If you don't feel safe without one, I suggest buying a small backless booster seat (which, notably, cannot be used on planes).

According to the California Highway patrol website - Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Taxi's may not be required to have one by law, but the laws of physics don't change.

I have a (relatively) cheap booster I use for travel. I think it was like $30 at Target. I kept the box and I travel with it in its original packaging (in a carseat bag which I happened to have). I check it (which I know many people are against but I figure it was packaged that way originally and I'm sure it wasn't treated with super care). I do think you CAN request a taxi with a carseat (or maybe use a car service and request a car seat) but you don't know where it's been or it's history so...I prefer to have my own.

As for the CARES harness, I stopped using mine when my son was about 4, but he had quite a few flights under his belt by then so he knew how he needed to behave.

When we've flown with our 3.5 yo and had to get around by car, we have rented at the airport and rented a car seat as well. As Msmama said, laws of physics don't change so we avoid taxis. (We live in NYC and almost never take a taxi for this reason)

You don't say your son's weight, but my instinct would be to bring a booster seat for the car, rather than a full-up carseat. You can just check it with your luggage, or carry it onto the plane . (As others have indicated, you can't use boosters on an airplane)
And unless he's a really tiny 4 year old, CARES is probably unnecessary. Do you trust him to sit still and not unbuckle the airplane belt? If so, he'll be fine with the regular plane belt.

I've used the CARES harness with both of my children. It's recommended use is based on weight not age, so it doesn't matter if your son is four to use it or not. Both of my children are small, so I never go off of age recommendations. You can request transportation with a car seat. When we've stayed at Shades of Green, we had to arrange our own transportation to and from the airport. The van service we used provided car seats upon request.

Investing in a CARES harness is expensive for only one trip. There are people who rent them by the week on eBay for a very reasonable fee. The harness itself has a height and weight restriction, but the FAA website only goes by weight for the CARES, so if your little guy is under 44 lbs the CARES should work to help keep him more secure in the airplane seat. The FAA recommends using an approved child restraint device (car seat or CARES harness) if your child weighs less than 40 lbs. Over 40 lbs and the airplane seat belt is sufficient.

I think 4 was the last age we used CARES for our petite son. He is still under 44 pounds, but we don't use it anymore. I bet you can find one on Ebay if cost is a factor. I have the Bubblebum and I think it stinks. It slides on the seat, and it did not get my son in a safe position (with shoulder belt off his neck). Consider buying an inexpensive booster with a back if a backless booster does not raise your child up enough (they make them for under 40 bucks) and gate check it if you will be in cabs or other non DME vehicles. A seat belt positioned on a neck in an accident can be deadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter