Flying with a minor...

ShesAPirate

DIS Veteran
Does she need some kind of I.D. to board? Birth certificate? She's 12 years old. I'm finding conflicting info online, so figured I'd ask here, to see if anyone has any actual, recent experience flying with a minor.

Thanks!!! :thumbsup2

I fly w/ my dd all the time. Only those 18+ are required to have ID. Minor's aren't required to present ID.

My children are not that old (6,4 and almost 2) I've only been asked one time for a birth certificate because the ticket agent just wanted it for my then (8 month old) baby to prove she was under 2 and could fly free which was just ridiculous...it was quite clear she was! But I think that lady was having a bad day. Anyway, we always bring along a copy of birth certificates just to be on the safe side now! But we have flown a lot and that was the only time and it was on Southwest, fwiw.

Thank you both for your quick replies! I figured bring the b.c. just in case... better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! :goodvibes

No you do not need ID or a birth certificate for a minor traveling in the US. Obviously overseas travel requires a passport. My son is 5 and we have flown 8 times with him in the last three years and have never been asked for any type of ID. We never flew when he was under 2 and did not need a ticket but in that situation you would need a birth certificate to prove that they do not need to buy a ticket and can be a lap child.

When my son was 2 and a half we flew southwest to FL for the first time and we were actually questioned onboard if my son had a ticket or not as one of the flight attendants thought he should have been on my lap. He was small for his age. Another came along and said that yes we had a ticket for him. The other attendant was very surprised that he was 2 and a half. LOL

Southwest policy is that you need to show a birth certificate for any child under 2 you are not purchasing a ticket for otherwise you do not need any type of ID for minors.

This is what the transportation security administration says about it:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

My children have flown by themselves, unaccompanied minors. They didn't need any ID's, just me to check them in.

What about a minor that isn't your child? My niece keeps talking about wanting to come down with me and she just turned 16.

What about a minor that isn't your child? My niece keeps talking about wanting to come down with me and she just turned 16.

Todd

If she just turned 16, will she have a license then?

We traveled with a minor who was not our child. In May, we flew Airtran and took DS's girlfriend. She is 17 and was not asked to show any ID, at the counter, TSA or gate.

I'm 16 and fly pretty frequently. I've always brought my drivers' liscense to present at security, and before I got that, my parents brought the little "safe kids" picture card thing they give you in elementary school.

I don't think it's mandatory that you bring a form of ID for someone under 18, but in my experience, it is preferred. If you don't have an ID or something to bring for her, I wouldn't stress over it. It's not like they absolutely won't let you on the plane or anything.

Have a safe and fun trip! :)

We have always had the teens that traveled with us take their picture ID from school prior to them getting their drivers license. I just think its good practice to carry picture ID with you.

Ticketed children under the age of 18yo do not need any ID (even if under the age of 2yo).

Lap children (who must be under 2yo) need a birth certificate to prove age.

We've never needed any ID for the kids even when traveling under 2yo because they always had a ticket... and used a car seat... on the plane!:thumbsup2

What about going through the TSA checkpoint?

The TSA checkpoint requires ID in the situations that I posted above. The airline may then again ask for a birth certificate for a child under 2yo flying as a "lap baby" that doesn't have their own ticket.

In my experience, the TSA employee checking IDs has asked my older child (9yo) what her name is...but generally just smiles at ds (4.5yo).

The TSA checkpoint requires ID in the situations that I posted above. The airline may then again ask for a birth certificate for a child under 2yo flying as a "lap baby" that doesn't have their own ticket.

In my experience, the TSA employee checking IDs has asked my older child (9yo) what her name is...but generally just smiles at ds (4.5yo).

Thanks!!

I flew two of my DD's friends on two different trips this year (both age 11). I called JetBlue ahead of time and they advised me to get a notarized letter from each child's parents allowing me to travel with their children on the specified dates, along with written authorization to act as their guardian in case of medical emergency, as well as a copy of the parent's insurance card. It only took a few minutes both times and we all felt better knowing that if something happened, I could take care of it without a hassle. I had the letters with me at the airport but they did not ask the kids anything other than their names. It's worth the extra trouble in my opinion. You never know what can happen with kids.

I flew two of my DD's friends on two different trips this year (both age 11). I called JetBlue ahead of time and they advised me to get a notarized letter from each child's parents allowing me to travel with their children on the specified dates, along with written authorization to act as their guardian in case of medical emergency, as well as a copy of the parent's insurance card. It only took a few minutes both times and we all felt better knowing that if something happened, I could take care of it without a hassle. I had the letters with me at the airport but they did not ask the kids anything other than their names. It's worth the extra trouble in my opinion. You never know what can happen with kids.

I agree for emergency purposes you should have that information but as far as traveling through the airport goes they would not know if the children were yours or not as they do not check on domestic flights. They have never asked for id for my son as he always had a ticket so no need to show his birth certificate either. They would have had no idea if it were my own child or someone else's. I did find this a bit disconcerting because for all they know that child could have been kidnapped.

Also, if you're flying alone with a child, you should bring a letter from either the other parent (assuming you are one parent) or something stating that the child's parents are fine with you taking therm on the flight. I always bring my wife's death certificate along, just in case.

That’s what we were advised when we took my niece and nephew.
Their last name was the same as ours, so it probably would not have been questioned.

A funny story about ID and age.
Last October, my oldest DD and her husband came with to OKW, but left a few days before DH and I did. When they were going for the DME airline check in, I went with them, just for the walk and to help them carry their bags. They both started to get their IDs out and the CM said “That’s OK. Your mom can check you in.” She was REAL surprised to find out that not only are both of them WAY over 18, but that they were married - she assumed they were brother and sister and were going back early so they would not miss out on too much high school.:lmao:

My DD has also been told many times by the TSA agents that “You can put your ID away honey. We only need ID for adults."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter