• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying w/Baby?

ineedpixiedust

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We're flying to WDW Sept 25 from Phoenix, AZ. Flight leaves PHX @ 7am, layover & change planes in Charlottesville from 12:30 to 2pm, arrive in Orlando @ 4:30pm. We're 3 adults (DH, mom & me) and a 14mo baby boy! :eek: :eek: :eek: My question is, what on earth can I do to entertain a VERY energetic toddler on a 5+ hr flight & then again on a 2+ hr flight?? :earseek: We picked the fight with the longer layover around lucnhtime so DS could stretch his legs and maybe run off some steam in the airport and we could all eat a decent lunch (DS will eat ANYTHING but I'm a bit more picky). Also, does anyone know how the whole gate-checking your stroller thing works? Will it be given back to us during our layover? Any suggestions for making the flight as smooth as possible? Thanks so much for any ideas!!
:wave: :earsgirl: :wave:

Gate checking the stroller is easy.

Just bring the stroller with you through security. When you board the plane tell them you want to gate check the stroller. They will give you a tag to attach to the stroller. You will leave the stroller at the bottom of the jetway. It should be there again when you get off the plane.

We went to New Zealand 2 years ago with our 18 month old daughter. We worried about the flight for months prior. 5 hours to LAX and 12 hours to Auckland. She played with playdough and water colors from ATL to LAX. Then played in the airport and then slept from LAX until they served breakfast an hour out of Auckland. She ate breakfast and we landed. Amazingly the return trip was much of the same.

She had never seen playdough or water colors before that trip. We wanted something that was brand new and would really hold her attention.

edited to add:
Since you are changing planes you will definitly get your stroller back.

It was smart to schedule a long layover to stretch legs and get a meal...that works for us when we are not able to get a direct flight. We usually try towards nap time for flights...but if not, a bag full of simple toys, books, etc. Sticker books are always a hit. While not required, we would buy a ticket for out toddler to have more space. If you could get a bulkhead you will even have a little "play" area he could stretch legs at in front of you.

Most of all, have patience and know that it is only one day of your overall trip. Have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter