Flying vs. Driving...What would you do?

eyeontheball

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are planning our first trip this fall with our two daughters age 2 (will be turning 3 on the trip) and 6. We were planning on driving to save money. We have about a 10 hour drive. The plan was to leave after work and drive as far as we could. We planned to spend the night in a hotel on the way and then drive the rest of the way the next morning/afternoon. Would like to get there in time to go to the MK that evening for a few hours. I'm worried about how my girls will do in the car because they aren't the best travelers (fighting, whining, etc.)
I noticed Southwest was having a sale and we could fly direct to and from Orlando for a little over $800 total. Flight would arrive at 1:30 pm. That is certainly appealing. But we are "heavy packers" and my husband likes the idea of having our car even though we probably wouldn't use it all once we got there (we are staying on site). Also if we do fly, that would leave us with less spending money (might not do MNSSHP, etc.)
So for those who have done both what are your recommendations/pros/cons of each?
Thank you!

You have pretty much identified all the pros and cons. Whining kids vs. $800 for air fare.

Hi, we are planning our first trip this fall with our two daughters age 2 (will be turning 3 on the trip) and 6. We were planning on driving to save money. We have about a 10 hour drive. The plan was to leave after work and drive as far as we could. We planned to spend the night in a hotel on the way and then drive the rest of the way the next morning/afternoon. Would like to get there in time to go to the MK that evening for a few hours. I'm worried about how my girls will do in the car because they aren't the best travelers (fighting, whining, etc.)
I noticed Southwest was having a sale and we could fly direct to and from Orlando for a little over $800 total. Flight would arrive at 1:30 pm. That is certainly appealing. But we are "heavy packers" and my husband likes the idea of having our car even though we probably wouldn't use it all once we got there (we are staying on site). Also if we do fly, that would leave us with less spending money (might not do MNSSHP, etc.)
So for those who have done both what are your recommendations/pros/cons of each?
Thank you!

I have done both and my drive was 16 hours. I would drive it's nice to have transportation to leave and go get groceries off site. The money you would save will pay for your gas. Portable TV's are the cat's meow. 2 movies and a nap then your almost there. Spend the money on the family not on Southwest.

Have you done a true cost analysis? Figure the cost of the hotel, the cost of the meals you will need during the travel (even packing a cooler with meals costs $$ although obviously not as much as eating out), tolls, gas, wear and tear on car.................Before I read the body of your post, just the title I did some math in my head and said if the drive is less than 12 hours I would probably drive. For us it is 20+ hours driving vs a 3 hour flight that when I added up door to door time it was about 9 hours.

Drove four times..16 or so hours. Flying ..two hours...we fly first thing in the morning so we can have full or close to full day at park
I will never drive again..southwest does allow two bags each included

If your daughters weren't so young I would say drive. But it is awful hard for almost 3 year olds to keep themselves happy in a car for 10 hours both to and from WDW. And 10 hours in a car with whiny, fighting kids won't leave you rested and ready to hit the parks. Fly.

I'd drive. It's not as if you are going to be stuck in the car for 10 hours nonstop. Plan for stops every couple of hours. The kids are going to need potty breaks anyway. Make those stops at highway rest stops when you can, and run the kids ragged for a bit to tire them out. Keep lots of snacks handy, and toys, and if you have a DVD player, you're golden.

We drove with my precious Parents ( 72 and 77), who we love dearly, in the backseat. We decided never again...and it was a 9 hour drive.

A classic response by those who prefer to fly is their stating of the flying time, e.g., "It's just a three hour flight." But these travelers never mention the time that they leave their home, the check-in experienece, the TSA line up, the wait for the flight, the boarding, the battle for the overhead bins, and the departure. Then add the "joy" of fellow passengers, the airline "food" offerings, the periodic turbulence, those "comfortable" airline seats [of course, airline tickets are a real bargain], the landing, departing the aircraft, the wait for luggage (if it's not lost) and the departure to your final destination.

Sometimes, flying might be an appropriate choice but not always. Numerous factors should be considered. Time in the air is just one of them. When the weather postpones or cancels flights, as drivers, we leave a day or two early...or later.

We are at WDW right now after our 38th drive from the Jersey Shore.

For those who drive long distances, go to one of the most viewed sites (1,000,000 views over our multiple incarnations) on the DISboards: "For 2,000+ Mile Round Trip Drivers Only!"

All the best! :thumbsup2

Have you ever flown with your DDs before? I'm thinking it wouldn't be easy with two little ones, I don't know that for sure since I only have one child. I would drive, take your time and enjoy the sites.

A classic response by those who prefer to fly is their stating of the flying time, e.g., "It's just a three hour flight." But these travelers never mention the time that they leave their home, the check-in experienece, the TSA line up, the wait for the flight, the boarding, the battle for the overhead bins, and the departure. Then add the "joy" of fellow passengers, the airline "food" offerings, the periodic turbulence, those "comfortable" airline seats [of course, airline tickets are a real bargain], the landing, departing the aircraft, the wait for luggage (if it's not lost) and the departure to your final destination.

QUOTE]

Now counter all of those faults with the ones you might find driving--Horrible traffic delays. Rest stops with lines out of the door (just ran into this one myself) when someone has to use the restroom NOW! Kids that are bored and tired 2 hours into a 10 hour drive and keep asking Are We There Yet??? And start fighting in the back seat. Stops for food that add even more time to the trip, unless you eat on the go. Stops for gas. Adults that are sick of being in the car and now have to keep the children in the back seat somewhat happy.

Sure you can say you run into none of that. I can also say when I fly to Florida as I do once or twice a year, things go pretty darned smoothly. There are negatives and positives to both. What you can't deny is that flying is faster than driving. Driving from my home to Florida is over 20 hours. Flying to Orlando, even counting drive time to the airport, is 4 1/2 hours.

10 hours is about the flight/drive breakeven point here. We are 10 hours from NYT, the last 3 flights have had delays, making the travel time over 12 hours. I did a short trip to Chicago last month. Flying took 6 1/2 hours, the drive mapped at 5 hrs 45 minutes. Our flight to Disney last summer had delays on both ends, it's a 13 hour drive, but it was 10 hours in flight time. In your case, I probably would drive. If the kids can't behave well in the car, they're not going to be much better on the plane. The true time savings isn't much, so I would save the money.

We drove the first time when our son was two. When he was four we flew and he liked both of them equally. Of course we drive over 18 hours, so ten hours for us would be a blessing.

So, I'd save the money and drive.

eta...We still do both. We got awesome airfare this year so we're flying since it's cheaper, but we enjoy driving more.

I'd say drive. Your 10 hours will be split up with the overnight stay and possibly a dinner stop and maybe lunch the next day. So that will be a big help as it would be like a couple smaller trips of a couple hours a piece instead of one long one . Being you are leaving after work they may even sleep a little which could help and you might even get further that first night because of less aggravation of them whining etc.. Are you are you planning on splitting up the way back as well? If you have Ipads/tablets, portable DVD players etc. for each of them it will be a huge help. You might want to limit the fluid intake as well so space out potty breaks, don't dehydrate them of course, but you don't want to be stopping every hour if you know what I mean. My almost 6yo can down a juice box with the best of em but on our last road trip we had her sip instead of pounding after we had been on the road about an hour and she downed one and had to go potty. After the sipping she was able to last a lot longer. Make sure to have them go at every stop you make and if you have a portable potty training toilet bring that as it can be a big help.

Gas is getting cheaper prob will be around $2 by the time you go. So how many tanks will it take 2/3 each way so around $200 round trip plus hotel room $200 (being generous in my estimate, $100 each way)) meals and snacks? another $200? So around $600 total.. For $200 difference I would fly...It is a 12hr drive for us and we have done it many times with our son. The last two times we have gone we flew..I didnt even want to bother with driving.. plus I didnt have the extra days to drive... You can still pack a lot of stuff in 6 suitcases...

Thanks for all your responses. We are splitting up the drive on the way down there but planning to drive the whole way on the way back. And that's actually the leg I'm more worried about just because I know everyone will be tired and that will be a long day. But now we are leaning more towards driving. Kind of looking forward to a family road trip! Hopefully as long as I'm prepared with games, movies, snacks, etc. we will be good. Plus they might be so tired from Disney hopefully they will both take long naps in the car on the way back!

When we drive, we drive all the way through and just switch off each time we get gas.

I've driven 3 times with my kids. From NJ. 16 hour drive.

This time we are flying because we got the flights for $880 for all 4 of us. Non stop flights with good times. It would cost us about $500 to drive round trip with gas, hotels, eating out and buying some entertainment things for the car ride for the kids. So for the $300 difference it's worth it for us to fly.

For a 10 hour drive I wouldn't even think of flying. We used to drive between Buffalo and NJ all of the time when I was a kid. Eight hours. It's nothing to me compared to the 16 hour drive. In 10 hours You leave at 4 am, get their around 2-3 pm. Have the rest of the day to unwind and relax. I wouldn't do an overnight stay for a 10 hour drive.

When we drive from NJ we have left 4 am and driven straight through to Sanford. Got their around 9 pm and stayed with family and then went to WDW the next morning.I'm divorced now and that's my XH's family so I would have to get a hotel about an hour away and then drive to WDW the next morning. Then on the way home get another hotel.

I used to drive it straight through but my XH did 90% of the drive. I do not like to drive long distances. I get sleepy while driving on boring long stretches. My SO loves road trips but he can't do a 16 hour trip straight through.

Also now that I'm older I worry about driving long distances. Too many things could happen. Especially driving late at night.

And today at lunch my daughter just asked me, "Mommy, when are we going to fly on an airplane?" (She was 18 months last time we flew so she doesn't remember it)> Just when we had started leaning again towards driving! (She doesn't know we are going on this trip yet). So now don't know what to do again! Got to decide by tonight because today is the last day of the Southwest sale.

Would like to get there in time to go to the MK that evening for a few hours.

If you get up in the morning and only have 5 or so hours to drive I can't see why you wouldn't be in hours earlier than that.

I'm worried about how my girls will do in the car because they aren't the best travelers (fighting, whining, etc.)

Then why are you considering driving? That sounds horrible. I just have one and would NEVER have considered driving that when he was 2. We did take a driving trip when he was well into 3 and it wasn't the most fun ever.

But we are "heavy packers"

SW is perfect then, as you will have an allowance of EIGHT checked bags.

my husband likes the idea of having our car

Could always rent a car once there.

But these travelers never mention the time that they leave their home, the check-in experienece, the TSA line up, the wait for the flight, the boarding, the battle for the overhead bins, and the departure.

I've never seen someone say that, but if they did I would guess they assume the person asking the question is intelligent enough to realize that a 2 hour flight isn't just 2 hours total.

planning to drive the whole way on the way back.

Oh oh oh please don't do that. That has disaster written all over it. A vacation with 2 littles at WDW, you'll be exhausted, you'll be wiped out, and you're thinking of 10 hours home. No, if you're going to drive do it right BOTH ways.

But I say "fly".

And don't forget the cost of a shuttle or parking at your home airport in your calculations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter