Flying vs. Driving...What price difference makes it worth it to you to drive?

Very interesting discussion. Lots of good points both ways.

We drove last trip, Feb 2011, and will drive again this Feb 2013 from Connecticut.

Last time, we spent 3 days with mother in law in south Florida after Disney so that also factored in why we drove.

This time, we are staying longer in Orlando only and will drive still. Kids are still young so car seats are needed, as well as added items like toys, books, dvd player, dvd, food/drinks/snacks for room and that stroller.

It is about a 20 hour drive. Stayed over on way down and drove straight thru way back and that would be the same this time. We would still rent a car if we flew because we prefer our own car to come and go, not deal with disney transportation, etc. Car was leased last time and is this time, though we do plan on buying it. It is my wife's car and she drives around town mostly, and she puts on low miles. Flying saves times but it is a hassle to fly and we'd have to bring less stuff. But, like someone said, about 90 minutes to and from airport, 2 hours before flight, the time to fly does add up. And then you add in bag fees and long term parking, we figured flying was about $1200 but maybe more. Driving saves us about $600 in real costs, not adding the car wear/tear that has been talked about here. There is also the issue of lugging around and switching the car seats in/out. I also don't like to fly ever since we had kids. I also like "being in control", though surely I do know it is safer to fly than drive I-95.

Most people think it is more convenient to fly. My wife and I both feel the opposite and feel it is more convenient to drive. To me, flying is more of a hassle and I prefer my car.

That said, once the kids are older and we need less stuff to travel with them including stroller, car seats, etc, I think we will try to fly.

Let me just add, I just to that "fly or drive calculator". (thanks for the link) It has the driving cost at $849 and the flying cost, including car rental at $1690. I think both costs are a little inflated as I think we could do both for less but that is a big difference.

Most people think it is more convenient to fly. My wife and I both feel the opposite and feel it is more convenient to drive. To me, flying is more of a hassle and I prefer my car.

I'm sure I said this upthread somewhere, but that's how we feel, so we almost always choose to drive unless limited time prevents us. We don't go to Disney with the kids without a car anymore, so we always rent an SUV or van if we fly, which drives up that cost for us. As said, it's not always just about dollars and cents, although that is what the OP's original question asked - how much? I just find there are more intangibles, on both sides of the discussion.

As said, it's not always just about dollars and cents, although that is what the OP's original question asked - how much?

Actually the OPs question was "is it worth it" to save $400". For some people, driving, and all the extra time lost, extra personal and property risk, and extra work of actual driving, is still considered to be worth saving $400. For others, like me, it's not even close to being worth it. It's a personal choice. I value my time, safety, vehicle and sanity.

Interesting discussion-

Is luggage included in the $188, if not add a bunch more dollars to the fly column.

$200 for 2 hotel nights seems high, I normally get one on Hotwire for around $65 that includes breakfast while on the road with the iphone.

Food costs are wiped out in my opinion, you're going to eat whether flying and at Disney earlier or stopped at a Cracker Barrel in South Carolina. I don't figure that into cost of driving vs flying.

Gas is a huge variance, we paid between 3.25 and 3.79 last week. The further north we got the higher the price, with a huge jump between TN and KY. We have budgeted $225 for our October trip averaging $3.50 a gallon. If we spend more on fuel, we spend less on food.

No matter how I figure things for our 13 hour drive, driving always wins. Figuring the drive to the airport (30 mins Lex, 1 hr 15 mins to Louisville or Cincy), 2 hours early, travel time (hard to find direct flights, usually 5-6 hours with layover), the departure and travel to Disney, it may save 2-3 hours on each end of the trip, which is not worth the additional $400-600 cost in my book. I also like the convenience of taking what I want on vacation, not what the government allows.

2 hours early to LEX? I'm curious why?

We're in same region as you are. (in fact, my oldest goes to GC. :upsidedow) We're flying this fall. We're estimating $600 in gas/hotel/food. (all dependent on gas) Our plane tickets were $170 RT each, non stop on Allegiant. We will have additional costs of luggage & a rental car, which we considered before buying the plane tickets.

For a 5:35pm flight out of LEX, we'll leave as soon as we pick up our kids from school ... around 2:45pm. We'll scheduled to be on the ground at SFB at 7:30pm. I hope to be at the Swan about 90 minutes (if that) later. :) so, 6 hours after we leave town. Not too bad.

If we drove, we'd be somewhere around Atlanta.

I am estimating $250-300 more to fly than to drive. For this trip, it's worth it. Our main motivator is my DH is running a race on the front end of our trip & doesn't want to be suffering from drive fatigue.Last year, we opted to drive .. and it wasn't terrible. Lots of people drive it from here in a day.

The fly versus drive worth it point really varies person to person, doesn't it?

Here is our breakdown:

Time.
  • It is about a 18 hour trip in the car each way (per friends who have done it), so 36 hours actual drive time. I will not consider the time we spend with the overnight stay and driving break because of the fact that we are self-employed with homeschooled kids, so adding an extra day on to each side of our vacation is not an problem for us at all. With our smartphones, we can work almost as efficiently riding in the van down the interstate as we can in the office.
  • Flying would take ~3 hours, plus a 2.5 hour drive to the airport assuming we get flights that do not coordinate with rush hour, supposed to be at the airport 2 hours early, 60 minutes for deplaning/getting luggage/renting car, 30 minutes driving to/from hotel. So, flying would be about 9 hours each way or 18 hours actual travel time.
Flying would save 18 hours actual travel.

Cost.
  • Flying for our family would be about $1500 for the cheapest tickets I saw. We are staying offsite and will have a vehicle with us, period. Staying onsite increases our trip costs by almost $2K given the company discount we got at Bonnet Creek and our family size. With the company discount, the best rental and booster rental price I found was ~$600 for a vehicle that would fit our family. Additional travel insurance costs would be $150. Parking at the airport is $9/day in the cheapest lot, so $81. Cost: $2331 assuming no bag charges.
  • Driving, assuming high at $5 per gallon gas and the lower end of our mileage averages, gave me a figure of $792 for the round trip. I won't figure in wear and tear plus maintenance because we drive so little that our vehicles are way behind averages for their ages anyways. Cost of two hotel rooms at company discount rates for one night on each side of our trip is $250 total including taxes. Food for the drives: we can pack breakfast/lunch (have done so in the past); one pizza dinner in the hotel room on each side of the trip: $50 total. Driving cost: $1092
Driving saves us $1239

At the eighteen hours of actual traveling time difference, this is $68.83/hour that we save by driving. That is worth it to me.

Great discussion! I've been pricing our Family WDW trip June 2013 all weekend...a) onsite drive; b) onsite fly; c) off site drive; d) off site fly & rent cars. We're still trying to figure out if we're going to drive or fly. There are 11 of us - 7 adults, and 14, 7, and a 5 yr old. We're from a large family - 7 siblings so we're used to traveling in large numbers but not a 17 hour drive. This will be survival of the fittest!:rotfl:

We can fly, rent a 15 passenger van ($1100) or drive our two personal vehicles - 1 SUV and 1 Honda accord. I'm looking at the convenience factor now after number crunching. Much easier for me as the organizer to get 11 people to airport, on plane, off plane, on ME and to WDW resort. Not to mention I want to be sane and enjoy my vacation as well. Even if we stay offsite and rent two cars it would be worth it to me to still fly. SANITY...PRICELESS!

They allow .555 because that is the average cost. So why isn't it a "true" cost? It's only an inflated amount if you're driving a vehicle that is more efficient, with less maintenance, and less deprecation that the "average" car. Some peole might have this situation, some might not.

So you're saying the IRS gives you more than you need? Stop the presses! :drive: Every mile you drive contributes to: Oil and all other fluid and filter changes, brake wear, tire wear, battery wear, wheel bearing and various suspension wear, general engine wear, exposure to weather that fades and rusts, and depreciation of the car's resale value......not just how much gas you pumped to drive to Disney.

Even if you're driving the most efficient, least depreciating, lowest maintenance car on the road, and you only need about .25/mile, that still adds to more than $400 ....not including all the other factors I mentioned such as risk, time, comfort, food cost, responsibility.

Fly.

You guys are funny!

I look at it as pure cost! What is going to be the hit to my wallet right than and now!

This wear and tear to the vehicle is legitimate but is it a cost that I will cough up hard cash for at the time of the trip. I think not.

Also, the whole added meal costs is kinda bogus also. Whether I'm on the road or at work or home, guess what I got to eat.. Granted eating a sandwich at home vs. a meal on the road is cheaper but than again how much is Subway...

In my situation, we just drove from CT/NY border total hard cash costs. Fuel lodging food.. $621.89 Used one CC just for the drive..

Now we stayed 4 nights in WDW and 4 nights in Tampa so a rental car would had been necessary for at least half the trip.

Flight from NYC roundtrip for 4 and a rental vehicle. $1,700.00.

Sorry but with savings of $1,000.00 that was a no brainer. Also, left the house at 4am on a Friday and check-in at POFQ 11:30 am Saturday and not tired from a 4.5 hour drive from Savanna.

In order to be at my hotel by 11:30am I would have had to leave my house at 4am or 5am to get to the airport.

No thanks....

Point is, everyone's situation is different.

Why would you assume flyers leave on a Sat morning? We leave Fri evening also except we're in FL in time to watch the 11pm news Friday, all comfortably resting. We can go to the parks well rested by park opening Sat am.
You say adding another resort day would just cost more but then we'd have a longer Disney vacation! Is that not an option however you choose to travel? :confused3 You're paying more because you're getting more! And those additional park days added to your ticket really don't cost much more. Compare the cost of a 7 day ticket to a 10 day. Those extra 3 days only add $12/day to each ticket.
Assuming the same weekend to weekend timeframe, as a flyer I'd still have the option to spend the same # nights at a Disney hotel. If I did, just for the sake of keeping # of hotel nights equal to a driver, my Fri night would not be spent in a car, I'd be home in my own comfy bed. Assuming we both leave Saturday evening to go home, I'd also have an extra day at home at the end of my vacation to unpack, do laundry, grocery shop, read mail, etc with my Sat night spent in my own bed, not in a car.
So when you pull up in your driveway with all of these chores still waiting for you, I would be done mine after a good night's sleep.

OR

I could be off the same 9 days, cram it from Fri night leaving home, to Sunday night returning, same as a driver must, but I will have spent 8.5 days in the parks.

In order for a driver to have 8.5 days in a WDW park one would need at least 11 days off. That means 2 more vacation days for dh & I.
They are priceless. That doesn't even factor in how grouchy we'd all be spending so much time in the car or the time spent cleaning out my minivan once we're home. :headache:

Also when people gripe about having to arrive at the airport 2 hrs before the flight, half of that time is spent relaxing at the gate, usually on a tablet or laptop, not stressing out over traffic.

Actually, I just keep the $1,000 (real money) in my pocket that I didn't fork over to the airlines and drive.

You guys are funny!

I look at it as pure cost! What is going to be the hit to my wallet right than and now!
Yep, a lot of people have that attitude. I know some people like that.

This wear and tear to the vehicle is legitimate but is it a cost that I will cough up hard cash for at the time of the trip. I think not.
Unless your car breaks down. Pay me now, or pay me later...either way, that repair is comin' just a bit earlier now.

Also, the whole added meal costs is kinda bogus also. Whether I'm on the road or at work or home, guess what I got to eat.. Granted eating a sandwich at home vs. a meal on the road is cheaper but than again how much is Subway...
If you would like to eat at Subway for every meal, you've reduced your travel meal costs a bit, but it's still more than at home. So, it's not really "bogus". You still have at least a day and a half of meals on the road as opposed to 0-1 meals on the road.

In my situation, we just drove from CT/NY border total hard cash costs. Fuel lodging food.. $621.89 Used one CC just for the drive..

Now we stayed 4 nights in WDW and 4 nights in Tampa so a rental car would had been necessary for at least half the trip.

Flight from NYC roundtrip for 4 and a rental vehicle. $1,700.00.

Sorry but with savings of $1,000.00 that was a no brainer. Also, left the house at 4am on a Friday and check-in at POFQ 11:30 am Saturday and not tired from a 4.5 hour drive from Savanna.

In order to be at my hotel by 11:30am I would have had to leave my house at 4am or 5am to get to the airport.

No thanks....
Except you got to the hotel an entire day early, just a small detail.

Point is, everyone's situation is different.
Yes, everyone is different.

Yep, a lot of people have that attitude. I know some people like that.

Unless your car breaks down. Pay me now, or pay me later...either way, that repair is comin' just a bit earlier now.

If you would like to eat at Subway for every meal, you've reduced your travel meal costs a bit, but it's still more than at home. So, it's not really "bogus". You still have at least a day and a half of meals on the road as opposed to 0-1 meals on the road.

Yes, everyone is different.

The wear/tear are just way too many variables as to what the cost is and when it gets paid out. i.e tires will need to be purchased eventually whether I drive to Disney or not. Just a matter of when. It's not like I'm going to say, "Darn if i flew I could have held onto this money for another 30 days." lol

Here is our day and a half of meals

Day 1
Breakfast bars (brought from home) normal weekday breakfast for the family
Subway for lunch
Sonic for dinner (total treat as none exist by us/kids love it) who doesn't love waiters on roller skates. lol

Day 2
Hot breakfast (included w/ hotel stay)
Lunch DDP at POFQ

Pretty much the same for the ride home.

Wife actually wanted to pack sandwiches for lunch. Had to put my foot down to that. Come-on we're on vacation...

Not sure about the arriving to the hotel a day early?

Got to my hotel on Saturday. Would have gotten their on Saturday if I flew as well.

You can definitely argue that I left my house a day earlier.

My vacations always start out as, What day do I want to arrive and what day do i want to leave. Than, I plan my departure and arrival times accordingly. Flex time at work benefits this thought process.

Bottom line comes down to how much money am I paying for this vacation now. Does it fit in my budget? If yes, we fly. If no, will driving making it fit in my budget. If yes, we drive if no we cry! lol

The wear/tear are just way too many variables as to what the cost is and when it gets paid out. i.e tires will need to be purchased eventually whether I drive to Disney or not. Just a matter of when. It's not like I'm going to say, "Darn if i flew I could have held onto this money for another 30 days." lol
l

Um, that's exactly what you would have done...or something like that. You're simply putting on more miles that contributes to all the things that cost money on a car. Pay now, or pay later. If you drive, you pay earlier than if you didn't drive. It's simple math.

Not sure about the arriving to the hotel a day early?

Got to my hotel on Saturday. Would have gotten their on Saturday if I flew as well.

You can definitely argue that I left my house a day earlier.
Uh, yea, that's the arugument. In both examples you got the hotel on saturday morning, exept in one example you left on Saturday morning, and in the other example you left on Friday morning. Just a wee bit of difference there.

The repair is coming. I know it. It is coming regardless of whether we drive or fly. It comes 2k miles sooner if I drive. Does that matter to me in my long term vehicle usage plan? No. We bought our vehicles with the expectation that they would be driven on vacations as well for daily driving. This is part of our vehicle usage plan. Even with driving vacations, none of our vehicles see more than 8k miles per year.

Repairs always will be coming eventually, and when they do come, they are done by my husband who pays attention to details like lifetime warranties on parts. He replaced the brakes on the conversion van in preparation for this trip, but remembered that the parts had a lifetime warranty. Yes, a repair was done specifically because we are driving to Disney, but the cost was $0 and 1.5 hours of my husband's time.

That is not a detail for our trip. We're getting to WBC on Saturday and we have seven nights there, regardless of flying or driving. There is no "day early." The idea that if we fly, we get extra days for vacation is not a valid one for us. We get seven nights in Orlando and six days in the parks. That is what we have planned for, and extra days in Florida won't happen.

I acknowledge that not everyone gets the luxury of not worrying about their job vacation days being impacted by the extra time of traveling by car. My family does have the luxury, and so we find the financial burden of traveling by plane to be worse than the time burden of traveling by car. These variables are what makes this an individual decision with no right or wrong answers, IMO.

That is not a detail for our trip. We're getting to WBC on Saturday and we have seven nights there, regardless of flying or driving. There is no "day early." The idea that if we fly, we get extra days for vacation is not a valid one for us. We get seven nights in Orlando and six days in the parks. That is what we have planned for, and extra days in Florida won't happen.
Your missing that obvious point that you had to leave one day earlier to arrive at the same time. And the same on the return. It's at least 2 days of your life, perhaps more depending on where you live. That was the point, not that you get more vacation time, but that you lose less time for other stuff. Some people have lots of time on their hands, some don't.

I want to know more about this $.55 per mile wear/tear calculation.

I currently have 120k on my 6 year old car. Does that mean it cost me $66,000 to operate over 6 years?

Something doesn't seem right. The car only cost $18k new.

I currently have 120k on my 6 year old car. Does that mean it cost me $66,000 to operate over 6 years?

:scared: Wow, I'm a flyer and my 6 yr old car is approaching 30,000.

ruadisneyfan2 said:
:scared: Wow, I'm a flyer and my 6 yr old car is approaching 30,000.

Oh my car is the commuter car. It's never been to FL. Drive 50 miles RT to work everyday.

Wife's car is the family mobile. She barely puts any miles on her car. Work is 6 miles RT for her.

vacationclub said:
Um, that's exactly what you would have done...or something like that. You're simply putting on more miles that contributes to all the things that cost money on a car. Pay now, or pay later. If you drive, you pay earlier than if you didn't drive. It's simple math.

Uh, yea, that's the arugument. In both examples you got the hotel on saturday morning, exept in one example you left on Saturday morning, and in the other example you left on Friday morning. Just a wee bit of difference there.

There is also a wee bit of a difference of keeping $1,000+ dollars in your pocket while still having the same exact Disney experience whether I drove or flew.

Your missing that obvious point that you had to leave one day earlier to arrive at the same time. And the same on the return. It's at least 2 days of your life, perhaps more depending on where you live. That was the point, not that you get more vacation time, but that you lose less time for other stuff. Some people have lots of time on their hands, some don't.

Nope, no point missed at all. Perhaps you missed the last paragraph of that post you quote, the one in which I state the following:

I acknowledge that not everyone gets the luxury of not worrying about their job vacation days being impacted by the extra time of traveling by car. My family does have the luxury, and so we find the financial burden of traveling by plane to be worse than the time burden of traveling by car. These variables are what makes this an individual decision with no right or wrong answers, IMO.​

Spending two days talking with my husband and children while we drive to and fro is a gift, not a hardship. I've not lost time in my life by doing so, but rather gained something valuable.

You obviously have found that flying is the right choice for you and your situation. That doesn't mean that driving is an invalid choice for others, or that people who feel the driving is a better choice have not done the math and taken things like vehicle wear/tear, vacation time, family dynamics, and myriad other variables into consideration.

tbaptista said:

It's the deduct able cost allowable from the IRS if you use your vehicle for work. It's not necessarily what your actual out of pocket cost will be. It's supposed to allow for all costs associated with operating a vehicle; purchase, gas, tires, insurance, repairs, etc averaged out per mile in case you only use it sometimes for work and other times for personal you can deduct the miles you used it for work purposes @ .55 per mile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter