Flying spirit airlines

Normally I fly Spirit from Atlantic City, NJ to Orlando. For a flight just over two hours it's convenient and cheap. However, we are currently planning a trip west and I'm not sure that the savings will be worth it on a five-plus hour flight. The seat pitch (translate - leg room) is the tightest of all airlines.

I stopped flying them as fees increased and comfort decreased. Used to fly them fairly often as I lived in Atlantic City area and one of the few airlines serving that airport. Last flight was cross country (AC/Vegas) and I have never seen so many people stand in aisles because seats were so cramped - everyone was complaining. Ok for a shorter haul (AC to Florida or Denver to Vegas) but horrible for long flights. I was on a flight shortly after they started charging for water - flight attendant said they when Spirit started charging for soft drinks, people started ordering water so airline started charging for water but not everybody knew on our flight and were upset, so she was not charging them. I have more stories, but generally the tradeoff for cheap fare is high extra fees and bad customer service (except the aforementioned flight attendant).

With it being a 2 hr flight for us and saving $400 for around trip flight not minusing the bag charges

I'm gonna say no try Southwest Airlines you 2 free bags plus a carry on. Plus a free drink and peanuts and pretzels and open seating no stress. I always shop around and then end up buying with them for the best price. Spirit also charges if you want to pick your seat I believe

For a two hour flight it's doable.
I buy a bottle of water at the airport (AFTER passing through security) cheaper than onboard.

Checked bag $30, carry on $35. Personal item free. Personal item must be able to fit under the seat, though you can stow it in the overhead.

The fee that bugs me is paying to choose seat assignment. If you don't care where you sit, and understand that on a full flight your party could be separated, save the money.

For our trip west in May 2014, Southwest was one of the airlines I checked but despite free bags it's still more expensive than several others on my list. And I'm not sure if I like the idea of 'open seating'. I like to choose my seats and guarantee that I am not separated from traveling companions.

We usually fly jetblue and like that they don't charge for bags and the fact that they have the TV's for the kids to help pass the time.. However... I am not sure I can justify the savings.. hmm

Another consideration - in to which airport does Spirit fly. i.e. Can you fly into Orange County John Wayne (SNA) or do you have to go to LAX? SNA much better for Disneyland.
Kayka had a good point about fee for seat assignment on Spirit- esp if traveling with kids. I fly Southwest a lot and open seating is not a problem if you check in early enough or pay $12.50 for early bird - well worth it. Also, they let families with kids board after A group so plane is not too full and there still is good choice of seats.
OP said she usually flies Jet Blue. I never have but people I know who have like it. That your kids are entertained is worth a lot. A trip on Spirit is to be endured. Also, on Spirit, hope that you don't need any help from customer service or change your flight (emergencies happen) - I think the change fee is $200 (so you'll need trip insurance - lack of change fee is what I love about SWA).
The only reason I am not telling you to avoid Spirit is that you can survive it for 2 hours. I like to save money too, but to me, it wouldn't be worth it if your other options are Jet Blue or Southwest.

I've flown Spirit a lot. It gets you there, often at fantastic prices. As long as you know the fees upfront, it's not bad at all. I find the seats comfier than a lot of Delta and AA flights I've been on.

our last trip we flew Allegiant Air. we got an excellent deal booking a package (air,hotel,car)and the service we got was excellent.

We are now Jet Blue fans all the way. More leg room for my 6'5" DH, tv screens, first bag checked free, carry on free, and we love flying into Long Beach airport. It's small, and is the same drive time as SNA is. This trip we paid $138 round trip from Portland to Long Beach. Our airfare was less than our room and PH. I can't comment on Spirit, but wanted to give Jet Blue a :thumbsup2

Doesn't Spirit charge to use the bathroom??? :rotfl2:

Oh I guess that was Ryan air but you can be sure Spirit is looking into this.

Fly Spirit if you want to, but be sure to educate yourself on all of their bogus extra charges and make sure you expect lousy service. I was looking at the flights arriving into Las Vegas on Friday night and 80% of the Spirit flights were late, many by 3 hours or more.

OregonMinnie said:
We are now Jet Blue fans all the way. More leg room for my 6'5" DH, tv screens, first bag checked free, carry on free, and we love flying into Long Beach airport. It's small, and is the same drive time as SNA is. This trip we paid $138 round trip from Portland to Long Beach. Our airfare was less than our room and PH. I can't comment on Spirit, but wanted to give Jet Blue a :thumbsup2
I can't recommends jet blue highly enough. They are absolutely wonderful. I also can't recommend long Beach airport highly enough.

Based on our travel experiences this last year, we have determined we will only fly:
Jet blue
Virgin
Delta
American

And in that order of preference, although the first two are neck and neck. Jet blue wins by a small margin, due to give better snacks and larger ones as well as full cans of sodas.

Due to extremely poor customer service, we will not fly:
United or Southwest

We flew United this summer and it was by far the WORST experience we have ever had flying.

We have flown Jet Blue a few times and have had nothing but good experience with them.. I was just wondering about this airline and was looking like we could be saving some money but nope we will be sticking to JETBLUE!

I can't recommends jet blue highly enough. They are absolutely wonderful. I also can't recommend long Beach airport highly enough.

Based on our travel experiences this last year, we have determined we will only fly:
Jet blue
Virgin
Delta
American

And in that order of preference, although the first two are neck and neck. Jet blue wins by a small margin, due to give better snacks and larger ones as well as full cans of sodas.

Due to extremely poor customer service, we will not fly:
United or Southwest

We flew United this summer and it was by far the WORST experience we have ever had flying.

We haven't flown with Virgin, and it's been a long time since we've flown Delta, but I absolutely agree with you about Southwest. We've had a few disappointing experiences with them.

We have flown Jet Blue a few times and have had nothing but good experience with them.. I was just wondering about this airline and was looking like we could be saving some money but nope we will be sticking to JETBLUE!

I remember our last trip seeing an amazing price for Spirit, and then I found all the fees, and it made me nervous I suppose. You can't go wrong with Jet Blue, so I think that's a good decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter