• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying southwest, strollers, babies...lots of ??

jillybeene71

Geaux Saints...Can you feel the Brees?
Were flying out on Thanksgiving day...no biggie in the past but now we'll have an 8 month old.
First question, if a baby is sitting on your lap on SW do we need to be there super early to get some kind of paperwork for the child, or do we just show up go through security like normal? We would need her birth certificate right?

Ive decided to rent a big stroller there, but I want to bring our smaller "umbrella" one as well. Do we check it with our bags (which I do not want to do) or can I bring it to the gate and have them store it for us when we're seated?
Any suggestions to make the flight easy and less stressful?

You don't need to do anything special for the baby. I always carried a copy of the birth certificate but never needed it. Just go up the the ticketing agent once you are through security and at your gate and they with tag your stroller for a "gate check". Just leave the stroller on the jetway right before you enter the plane(there will be other people doing this too). Pick it up after your flight at the exact same spot. Good luck and have a great trip!

We always fly southwest and for lap babies when you check in at the counter you must show the child's birth certificate.they call this the age verification document. If you go to the southwest website you will see you can do it at their counter at the airport or fax/send physical copies. Southwest is pretty strict about requiring age verification for lap babies. Once you have your boarding passes for everyone including the lap baby you will go through security, from there you will go to your gate. The counter at your gate will give you the gate check tag for your stroller.

Were flying out on Thanksgiving day...no biggie in the past but now we'll have an 8 month old.
First question, if a baby is sitting on your lap on SW do we need to be there super early to get some kind of paperwork for the child, or do we just show up go through security like normal? We would need her birth certificate right?

Ive decided to rent a big stroller there, but I want to bring our smaller "umbrella" one as well. Do we check it with our bags (which I do not want to do) or can I bring it to the gate and have them store it for us when we're seated?
Any suggestions to make the flight easy and less stressful?

When my son was 16 months we almost did not get on the flight because we did not bring his birth certificate. You need a boarding document for the lap child in order to go through security. If you are checking bags, you can do that then. They will need a boarding document to proceed through security. The last time I flew with my son (under 2) on SW; I could not use the online check in. The rest of my party did but because my son was attached to my ticket; I had to present with him and his birth certificate in person at the airport.

As for the stroller, I would bring it with you to the gate and when you are boarding the plane, you leave it right before you enter the plane.

Did you get EBCI? I have been on flights with SW where they have eliminated family boarding because so many families would be eligible to pre-board.

As far as making the flight easy/less stressful; we brought snacks and an empty sippy cup. We bought a bottle of juice after going through security. We also used lollipops for take off and landing.

Have a great trip.

When my son was 16 months we almost did not get on the flight because we did not bring his birth certificate. You need a boarding document for the lap child in order to go through security. If you are checking bags, you can do that then. They will need a boarding document to proceed through security. The last time I flew with my son (under 2) on SW; I could not use the online check in. The rest of my party did but because my son was attached to my ticket; I had to present with him and his birth certificate in person at the airport.

As for the stroller, I would bring it with you to the gate and when you are boarding the plane, you leave it right before you enter the plane.

Did you get EBCI? I have been on flights with SW where they have eliminated family boarding because so many families would be eligible to pre-board.

As far as making the flight easy/less stressful; we brought snacks and an empty sippy cup. We bought a bottle of juice after going through security. We also used lollipops for take off and landing.

Have a great trip.

EBCI? Never heard of that before. Usually they do call families with small children up before the they the A boarding, but Ive never paid too much attention to where the strollers go.
Im definately bringing lollipops and maybe try holding off her bottle will we take off? I think Im most worried about her ears popping and her crying and bothering the other passengers. Its less than a 2 hour flight so hopefully it wont be so bad. Plus shes into Mickey Mouse clubhouse so we'll have a dvd player for that.

thanks for the replys everyone!!

EBCI? Never heard of that before. Usually they do call families with small children up before the they the A boarding, but Ive never paid too much attention to where the strollers go.
Im definately bringing lollipops and maybe try holding off her bottle will we take off? I think Im most worried about her ears popping and her crying and bothering the other passengers. Its less than a 2 hour flight so hopefully it wont be so bad. Plus shes into Mickey Mouse clubhouse so we'll have a dvd player for that.

Family boarding is no longer before the A group. It is now after the medical preboards and then the A group, but before the B group. EBCI stands for "early bird check-in" and is $10 per seat. They check you in 36 hours in advance instead of you waiting by the computer 24 hours in advance. We (my DH and myself) flew SW this past weekend. We checked in exactly at T-24 and got B51 and B52, there were no small children so no family boarding and we still had to split up as there was not two seats together and it was just the two of us. As I mentioned, about half the flights I have been on they actually eliminated family boarding all together since, as they put it, more than half the plane would have family boarded. I would call SW and add EBCI to your tickets just in case they eliminate family boarding.

Sounds like you are bringing the necessary items. Have a great flight!

Yes I also suggest early bird if you would like/need to sit together. They assign seats based on the time stamp of when you purchased the EBCI so the earlier the better.

Yes I also suggest early bird if you would like/need to sit together. They assign seats based on the time stamp of when you purchased the EBCI so the earlier the better.

And, just want to add that when you board, you sit in the open seats. All families want to sit together. Even with family boarding the medical boards, entire A group, and whoever is in front of you with family boarding will board before you. Now with the introduction of EBCI and people paying more for a better boarding position, folks seem less inclined to move their seats. Can't blame them on that. Travelling with my children, I pay it. Not with my children I don't. Doesn't matter to me where I sit and I do not have to seat next to anyone. If you do end up with a B boarding pass and they do have family boarding, you can move up to that. But, I would feel safer with the B boarding pass if they eliminated family boarding all together. I have also seen them limit it to just children under 4 with car seats as lap babies really don't need extra time to board since they are not occupying a seat.

Just something to keep in mind.

Its less than a 2 hour flight so hopefully it wont be so bad. Plus shes into Mickey Mouse clubhouse so we'll have a dvd player for that.

Will she wear headphones? Most airlines state that you have to use headphones to use electronics. I know there are many child friendly headphones out on the market. If your daughter is not used to using them you may want to practice before you fly. You "might" be able to get away with not using headphones and keeping the volume turned really low, but if someone else complains you will be made to turn the dvd player off.

We are flying delta this weekend (going to Disney, discovery cove, universal, and sea world) and after reading about EBCI, I got concerned about my family and I getting split up during our flight. So, I called our airline.
I was told that our seats are our seats.... If there is a special need ( say, handicapped ect) that that is usually known ahead if time and they place those people in designated seats on the plane. They told me not to worry about it, that it hardly ever happens and that if this did occur, they must first ask if we would be willing to move.

We are flying delta this weekend (going to Disney, discovery cove, universal, and sea world) and after reading about EBCI, I got concerned about my family and I getting split up during our flight. So, I called our airline.
I was told that our seats are our seats.... If there is a special need ( say, handicapped ect) that that is usually known ahead if time and they place those people in designated seats on the plane. They told me not to worry about it, that it hardly ever happens and that if this did occur, they must first ask if we would be willing to move.

EBCI is only on southwest that has open seating.

We flew on SW a few weeks ago. I was online right at the 24hr mark and we had boarding starting at A53. There were 6 of kids plus a lap baby and we had no problems getting seats together. Same thing for coming home, we got decent boarding. We flew out of Baltimore and after A boarding (as well as in Orlando) they did family boarding.

Also in regards to a sippy cup, I had my daughters filled plus in my carry on I had pediasure as well as some snacks and bananas and I had no problem with her filled cup going through security (both flying down & coming back). I read that with a childs sippy they usually let it through.

Seconding about the headphones. Flight attendant told ds to wear headphones as soon as she saw he had a device to watch a movie. Didn't matter that the volume was not audible since he wa too little to care at the time.

Southwest is definitely different than other airlines with seating.

You can probably entertain an 8 month old without a DVD player! That's a bit young to watch videos. And lollipops? Stick with the bottle.

I'd love to hear other's experiences with boarding. I'm debating if I should spend the extra money to check in early. I REALLY don't want to. I need that money, but I have a 5 year old that will need to sit by her dad at least.

Is it $10 per flight per seat, or just per day? We have a total of 4 flights. I definitely can't afford that!

I'd love to hear other's experiences with boarding. I'm debating if I should spend the extra money to check in early. I REALLY don't want to. I need that money, but I have a 5 year old that will need to sit by her dad at least.

Is it $10 per flight per seat, or just per day? We have a total of 4 flights. I definitely can't afford that!

It is really hard to say ahead of time. It all depends on so many other things, how many people decide to use EBCI, IF the gate attendants decide to allow Family Boarding or not, and if you are right on your computer 24 hours out.

The cost for EBCI is $10 per person each way. So if you have 2 flights one way to MCO it is $10 a person. And $10 per person back home.

You have to decide for yourself if taking the risk of not sitting next to family is worth saving the money or not. You could purchase EBCI for just your husband and your daughter.

You really would only have to pay for it for our DH and older child. Since the baby is a lap child they are guaranteed to sit with 1 of you! If you don't pay for it then the 5 yr old may be away from you but usually you can find a seat close so if they have their own stuff in a back pack which they should anyway it will be OK.

If you didn't tell SW you have a lap child when you made the reservation you need to call immediately and tell them. You can't just show up. There is a limit how many lap babies can be on the plane due to how many Oxygen masks so they must be on the reservation.

You also MUST bring a birth certificate for SW or you will be buying a ticket.. They are the strictest of all the airlines with this.

you will need headphones or watch without sound and lolipops work as long as you are very attentive for choking.

Juice in the bottle worked better than formula I also found, less chance of tummy upset and if they did upchuck I would rather be covered in juice than curdled formula.

You can probably entertain an 8 month old without a DVD player! That's a bit young to watch videos. And lollipops? Stick with the bottle.

Shes been watching Mickey Mouse clubhouse and other learning videos straight through since she was 5 months...It is a life saver on long car rides. Im not concerned with her not being able to pay attention for that lenght of time. Im glad I was told about the earphones, maybe I'll try to get her used to them before we go. If not she'll have plenty of toys/books to hopefully keep her occupied.
Shes also been on solid foods since 4 months and table food for a while now, and her dr said a lollipop to suck on during take off wont hurt her at all...Im going for a bottle but if it takes a lollipop to keep her ears from hurting, I def will pull one out :thumbsup2

The last time I flew was last Thanksgiving and they did board families with small children first with business class...Ive always had the A group so we had no problem sitting together. This time will be different, but im sure as long as we get the A group we should be ok. I was worried about the lap baby boarding ticket and stroller.
thanks for all your replies.

I would definately NOT spend the money...thats way to much!! All you have to do is check in right at 24 hours. I have been on too many flights to count and always got A group and always sat with my kids. Save your money for Disney!! :goodvibes

I would second saving the ECBI money. We have flown with little ones SW many, MANY times. Never been denied family boarding after A group. Check in 24 hours prior; have a friend or family member check you in at 24 hours prior out of Florida. Don't worry about lap baby or stroller, runs like a well oiled machine. SW will put a claim at gate tag on it in boarding area, you will fold & leave at bottom of jetway, it will be there when you deplane (or soon after!) Easy peasy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter