• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying Southwest, Can we use ME??

Eeyore's Queen

Mouseketeer
We are flying Southwest in July. I know they aren't participating in the Magical Express thing, however I just read that you can still use ME if you get your own luggage. Is this true? Thanks for your responses.

Eeyore's Queen said:
We are flying Southwest in July. I know they aren't participating in the Magical Express thing, however I just read that you can still use ME if you get your own luggage. Is this true? Thanks for your responses.
This question comes up over and over again. The phrase "participating airlines" has caused all sorts on confusion with Disney CMs and with folks on this board.

Disney's Magical Express (ME) is not limited to "participating airlines." Passengers of any airline can ride the ME coaches both ways. And when traveling to WDW, passengers of any airline can check their luggage from their home airport directly to their WDW resort hotel. (It gets a little more complicated for international visitors who need to pass through U.S. Customs and Imigration at Orlando International.)

There is no such thing as a participating airlines list for the overall ME service.

The list of participating airlines only applies to an optional feature called Resort Airline Check-in. According to the Disney Meetings website Disney's Magical Express FAQs:

Q: What is Resort Airline Check-in?

A: This service offers remote check-in, allowing you to check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass at the Resort. At this time, remote check-in service is only available for guests flying domestically on the following airlines: American, Continental, Delta (including Song), and United (including Ted). Additional airlines may be added at a later date.​

If you aren't on a Resort Airline Check-in participating airline, your luggage can travel back to the airport in the luggage hold of the ME motorcoach. Once at the airport, you can check your bags and get your boarding pass.

You can use Magical Express without using Resort Airline Check-in, and you can use Resort Airline Check-in without using Magical Express.

we just got back from flying southwest and using ME. it was very easy both ways. but one of the easiest things was that southwest had a check in right down by where the magical express check in is. so on our return we were able to just walk around the corner and check in instead of using the huge line upstairs. i hope it is there for you when you go in july

Just got back yesterday from WDW and flew Southwest both ways. We had no problems at all with ME. Our luggage tags hadn't arrived before we left, but checking in at the airport was easy and fast. We collected our own luggage and had it put on the bus so it went to the hotel at the same time as us. From flight arrival time to getting on the bus took maybe 15 minutes, fast and easy!

When we were returning home bell services at the hotel told us we could have the front desk (we stayed at Wilderness Lodge) print off our boarding passes for us, so when we got to the airport all we had to do was check in our luggage. It all went very smoothly both ways!

Horace Horsecollar said:
This question comes up over and over again. The phrase "participating airlines" has caused all sorts on confusion with Disney CMs and with folks on this board.

Disney's Magical Express (ME) is not limited to "participating airlines." Passengers of any airline can ride the ME coaches both ways. And when traveling to WDW, passengers of any airline can check their luggage from their home airport directly to their WDW resort hotel. (It gets a little more complicated for international visitors who need to pass through U.S. Customs and Imigration at Orlando International.)

There is no such thing as a participating airlines list for the overall ME service.

The list of participating airlines only applies to an optional feature called Resort Airline Check-in. According to the Disney Meetings website Disney's Magical Express FAQs:

Q: What is Resort Airline Check-in?

A: This service offers remote check-in, allowing you to check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass at the Resort. At this time, remote check-in service is only available for guests flying domestically on the following airlines: American, Continental, Delta (including Song), and United (including Ted). Additional airlines may be added at a later date.​

If you aren't on a Resort Airline Check-in participating airline, your luggage can travel back to the airport in the luggage hold of the ME motorcoach. Once at the airport, you can check your bags and get your boarding pass.

You can use Magical Express without using Resort Airline Check-in, and you can use Resort Airline Check-in without using Magical Express.

You have become the poster boy for answering this question, Horace! Every "can I use ME" question you are on. It is amazing to me the number of people that don't read the FAQ's. It is actually very simple. Maybe some day you won't have to anwer the same question over and over again. I bet you have a way to copy and paste the info each time!

Duds

Since for the DME only certain airlines can have check in at the resort before you leave, do you know of anywhere in the WDW that you can go to find a printer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter