Flying Pig Marathon

If you cannot chose between doing fast(Indy) and fun (Flying Pig) you don't have to.
Kentucky Derby Festival (KDF) is the week before and is both fast and fun. Course is flat except for the tunnels into the Churchill downs infield and one underpass beneath some train tracks.
Lot's of crowd support and the horses are out doing there morning workouts when you run through Churchill Downs.
It's a week before Flying Pig, so you could even do both this year.
Even has the free Mich Ultra.:rotfl:

Decision made - it will be Indy this year. :banana: Will do the Flying Pig next year. Friends decided to meet us there and run their first 5k there. We're doing the mini-marathon (1/2). Hope it has a good expo. I'm becoming an expo addict. :love:

I thought the Expo was good last year! If you need a good hotel and don't mind something a little pricey, the JW Marriot is fantastic. It is new and very nice, and you literally walk right out the door to the start line. The Westin is also very close.

I wouldn't count Indy as being "fast". The GF of one of the guys I work with spoke with me about the Indy Mini last fall and she said that she couldn't even start running until they got past mile 3. She said that it's a nice race to do just to say you've run on the IMS track, but she had been hoping for a PR; which didn't happen.

They do not start in waves like Disney does, it's released as one big mass of people. So unless you've gotten up front, you're in for a very crowded start.

I watched the coverage of it on TV last year.

I was debating on whether or not to do the Indy Mini or Flying Pig, and I'm thinking I'm going with the Pig and go with some of the other WiSH'ers that will be there.

Yes, it is a big race but we didn't have trouble with crowds at all. We started in one of the preferred corrals (can't remember which one) and the only place I ever felt even the least but slowed down was at the track, and that's just because everyone wants to run down at the bottom. I did spend a portion of that part passing people on the grass....but I did that at the ToT 10-miler too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter