Flying out of Buffalo on Southwest

I've never had any issues flying out of Buffalo on Southwest, always great service. But, we've been booking with Jet Blue instead for the advanced chosen roomier seats, TV's and relatively similar prices. The flight to and from MCO is just long enough for the free in flight movie :) lol just an FYI for any future trips

We were part of a C boarding group on a recent post-cruise flight. We did not have WIFI to do pre-check in and by the time to get to the airport. It was a sold out flight, and we were at the tail end of the C group. My daughter and i boarded first and probably got the last two seats. Hubby and DS were out of luck. They asked for a volunteer to move so that a parent and child could sit together and then they sweetened the pot with the offer of free drinks - they had several volunteers. I believe they would have sweetened the pot until they got a taker or guilted someone into giving up their seat. DS was probably 6 at the time and he was in tears at the thought of sitting alone.
I've seen things like that happen but I've also seen them do nothing other than ask a couple of times and had no one offer the seat. It's up to the flight crew and how generous they are that day.

I met a woman yesterday that was offered a $400 SW voucher plus an in airport meal voucher to take a later flight. Again, it all depends on who you get that's trying to accommodate another passenger.

I've never had any issues flying out of Buffalo on Southwest, always great service. But, we've been booking with Jet Blue instead for the advanced chosen roomier seats, TV's and relatively similar prices. The flight to and from MCO is just long enough for the free in flight movie :) lol just an FYI for any future trips
I always forget about Jet Blue. We have a cruise booked out of Everglades for Nov 2015. I've been waiting for SW to release November dates. I just checked although the prices are good with JetBlue; the flight times are not the greatest, and the first direct flight doesn't leave for home until 8:30. I need to check jet blue too when booking. Thanks for the reminder.

I always forget about Jet Blue. We have a cruise booked out of Everglades for Nov 2015. I've been waiting for SW to release November dates. I just checked although the prices are good with JetBlue; the flight times are not the greatest, and the first direct flight doesn't leave for home until 8:30. I need to check jet blue too when booking. Thanks for the reminder.

We just booked Jet Blue out of Buffalo direct to Orlando in October for $99 per person! Now stalking prices for a cheap return flight back. We'll probably fly Southwest back because, as you said, Jet Blue only offers direct return flights late.

We just booked Jet Blue out of Buffalo direct to Orlando in October for $99 per person! Now stalking prices for a cheap return flight back. We'll probably fly Southwest back because, as you said, Jet Blue only offers direct return flights late.

I'm on the other side, I actually like leaving late. We use the late flight as an excuse to get an extra half day at the parks lol

I'm on the other side, I actually like leaving late. We use the late flight as an excuse to get an extra half day at the parks lol
Makes sense if you are at the parks and can store your luggage at the hotel or in your car. But for a cruise, you have your luggage to store, and almost forces you to rent a car so you (have a place to put your luggage) and a means to get around. I might consider the late flight for a park-holiday though.

Might be too late for the OP, but for anyone else interested...

We flew BUF <-> MCO the week before last (just before Ontario March Break). Bought EBCI for the following reasons:

1. We'd never flown Southwest, so had no direct experience with their boarding process.
2. It's a busy travel time, and I assumed the flight would be full of other families with young children, all of whom would want to sit together.
3. Even after paying $100 for round-trip EBCI for my family of four, the total cost was still half of what we would have paid to fly from Ottawa or Montreal, and 65% of the best flights I could find on JetBlue.
4. My two kids both prefer to sit with me. If one had to sit with Dad there would probably be a protest, and the idea of sitting alone would likely bring on hysterics.

I did buy our tickets quite a while in advance, shortly after the booking window opened. We had boarding positions A16-19 in both directions. It looked like these were the earliest generally assigned positions; A1-15 appear to be reserved for certain (higher) fare classes and/or very frequent fliers.

What I learned from this:

1. EBCI works exactly as advertised, at least in my experience (I'd seen some complaints in online forums suggesting otherwise).
2. If you just want to be sure you'll have seats with your kids, but don't particularly care where those seats are, EBCI is probably not strictly necessary even at busy family travel times, as long as you will be able to check in at or near the 24 hour mark.

It was nice not to have to worry about it, and to be able to get off the plane quickly since we were sitting near the front. But I probably won't bother next time, particularly for the outbound flight. I have never paid for advance seat selection on other airlines; I'm used to checking in at the 24h mark for best seat selection, and have never had issues with availability (except on Air Canada, but that's a different story). If you're going to be on a cruise the day before your return flight, or anticipate being out at a park and just don't want to have to worry about it, then EBCI is probably worthwhile on the return flight.

The only hiccup we saw with Southwest's boarding was on the (completely full) outbound flight. They ended up short a seat. The flight attendants seemed to be assuming that someone must have brought on a lap-baby and then helped themselves to a seat for that child. Since they take your boarding passes on entrance, there wouldn't be any easy way to identify lap infants. Eventually they found a place to put the "extra" passenger, but I'm not sure where. Maybe a crew seat? They sorted it out, anyway.

We just flew SW for first time this week only out of Portland...zero issues and even though we forgot to check in for about 8 hours past the the 24 hour mark and had almost the end of the B group we still had no trouble finding two seats together. Flight down had wifi but you had to have their app. Flight back no wifi but it was an older plane so much roomier seats. Flight down landed early and flight back pushed off from the gate right on time. I'll definitely do it again if the price is right...takes me a 10 hour drive to get to Portland. I think if you have small kids you can do family boarding between groups A and B.

Thanks for the heads up. Checked back and rebooked my flights at the $99 price. Now I have a credit for next time

We are thinking of flying out of Buffalo and staying at the Days Inn Buffalo Airport Dec 24.

Looking at Southwest with a flight leaving at 5:30AM.

What time would we have to be at the airport for that flight?

We are thinking of flying out of Buffalo and staying at the Days Inn Buffalo Airport Dec 24.

Looking at Southwest with a flight leaving at 5:30AM.

What time would we have to be at the airport for that flight?
We like to get there an hour and a half before our flight. I would ask for the shuttle at 4am.....4:15am at the latest. The airport is just across the street from your hotel, so the shuttle will just take a few minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter