Flying on 9/11?

angelia denise

Mouseketeer
This might be a transportation post, but thought I'd ask here. With all the recent issues in the news, I am having a growing concern about travel on 9/11. My brother and his son will be flying in to meet us at Disney on 9/11 and I'm having growing anxiety about it. There's not much to do at this point about it, but wondered how many others are doing the same, and what are your opinions about it?

Look at it this way - there's been 12 9/11s since 2001. Has anything happened on any of those days? And what issues are you talking about? If you mean the plane that was shot down over the Ukraine, that's a pretty unstable area right now; the US is not.

We flew on 9/11 two years ago and it was a breeze - in fact I felt safer flying that day than any other. There were additional TSA agents, security checks and they had air marshals checking the monorails at the airport before and after unloads. The airport was quiet and everything was smooth sailing. I would easily fly again that day without a second thought.

Look at it this way - there's been 12 9/11s since 2001. Has anything happened on any of those days? And what issues are you talking about? If you mean the plane that was shot down over the Ukraine, that's a pretty unstable area right now; the US is not.

I guess more concerned with ISIS and the unknown. Perhaps security will be much more intensified on this day. That's what I'm hoping!

Even though 9/11 means something to us, it's just a random day of the year that terrorists decided to choose.

I wouldn't even sweat it, although I understand the anxiety just because of the past.

I doubt anything will happen that day. It is too predictable and organizations like that like to catch their targets when they have their guards down

In all honestly... I think your concerns are a little bit, too much. I would actually figure that since 9/11 was used as an attack previously, that it is the least likely date for another to occur. Just my personal opinion.

I did feel uncomfortable choosing it at the start of our vacation, but not for a safety measure, more out of remembrance for those that lost their lives on that day. So, for that reason we choose 9/10 to fly to Disney :goodvibes

This might be a transportation post, but thought I'd ask here. With all the recent issues in the news, I am having a growing concern about travel on 9/11. My brother and his son will be flying in to meet us at Disney on 9/11 and I'm having growing anxiety about it. There's not much to do at this point about it, but wondered how many others are doing the same, and what are your opinions about it?

No, it wouldn't bother me at all. I've quite willingly flown on that date in past years.

I don't blame you for worrying. That said, security is typically on higher alert for 9/11 in all places, including airports. I would just remind them use due diligence, and if they see or hear anything weird or suspicious, report it to airport or TSA personnel. :thumbsup2

And, (especially if they've got trip insurance) they can always opt to not get on the plane if they don't feel totally safe doing so. There are many of cases of "gut feelings" saving the day! :)

As the others here have said though, it's not something I'd worry myself terribly about. Just take the same precautions you always would!

I've flown on 9/11 several times over the years and it's always been an easy and un-crowded day to fly. Just keep in mind that security may be tighter, but it doesn't mean it's anything to worry about.

I don't blame you for worrying. That said, security is typically on higher alert for 9/11 in all places, including airports. I would just remind them use due diligence, and if they see or hear anything weird or suspicious, report it to airport or TSA personnel. :thumbsup2

And, (especially if they've got trip insurance) they can always opt to not get on the plane if they don't feel totally safe doing so. There are many of cases of "gut feelings" saving the day! :)

As the others here have said though, it's not something I'd worry myself terribly about. Just take the same precautions you always would!

I don't think trip insurance covers a gut feeling.

Don't let fear run your life. If you do, the terrorists have already won.

Fly on 9/11 to spite terrorists, not because you are afraid of them.

I'm sure they up security BIG TIME on this day. Plus if planes were being hijacked they probably wouldnt be ones headed to Florida, imo. I hate to say it but realistically speaking planes headed to certain other destinations are far more likely to have this happen.

Nobody will ever hijack a crowded airliner with a knife again. They would get torn up by the passengers. Also, the cockpit doors are armored now. You may not have ever thought about it but if a pilot doesn't want you to walk around the plane you're not walking around. It would be kind of hard for a hijacker to try to batter down the door while they are alternately slammed into the floor and ceiling as the pilot gently pushes forward and back on the wheel. The only reason the 9/11 hijackers were successful was because flight crews were trained to cooperate with hijackers. That is no longer the case. The chance of success for a hijacker on a US flight is practically zero.

A lot of the security in the airport is just a show to make people feel better. Do you know how hard it would be to mix liquids together in a tiny airplane bathroom to make an explosive? It's hard to do in a lab. Not allowed to take finger nail clippers on the plane? See my first paragraph. Take off your flip flops? Give me a break.

I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. You're in just as much danger at the mall or movie theater. Probably more since there is no security at all there. Your kids are probably in more danger at school than at the airport although now I probably just gave you something else to worry about.

We had a trip planned for my daughters birthday on 9-13-2001. I wasn't sure what to do or if the parks would even be open so we went anyway because I couldn't disappoint my young daughter. The parks were open but it was absolutely empty. Magic Kingdom might have had 100 people in the parks total. There were no flights in the US at that time so nobody could come or go. There was also a tropical storm rolling through central florida at that time. It's the emptiest I've ever seen Disney. I'll never see it that empty again.

I am going to answer your question the best I can taking the Disboards guidelines into account. If you need me to clarify my meaning, please PM me. I watch the news daily and see what is happening. I am not frightened by it, though a lot of it is scary. I believe what we see happening in other countries can just as easily happen here; however 9/11 is not a day that is marked for terror, so please do not let that trouble your heart. I am a firm believer that nobody will die before their appointed time and therefore regardless of which day you fly, don't fly, go into a theater, shopping mall, theme park, etc...nothing is going to happen to you if it is not time for your appointment. ;) Go and enjoy your vacation and don't let things beyond your control cause fear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter