Flying into SNA vs LAX - is it worth it to pay more?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Booking flights from Buffalo into the LA area for July. We'd be leaving on a weekday. Right now the cost of flights landing in SNA/Orange County for the 5 of us would be an additional $100 more (total) compared to landing at LAX. For both the arrival time would be around 730 pm.

Based on the degree of traffic at that time of night, the simplicity of the airport etc. how much better is it to fly into Orange County Airport vs LAX? Trying to decide if it would be worth the slight extra cost.

How are you getting from the airport to DLR? There can be significant differences between transportation from LAX than the very close Orange County airport. I first decided to create the thread Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information precisely for the reason you're now encountering. Once I factored in the cheaper transportation to DLR from John Wayne (Orange County/SNA), the difference was decreased significantly.

Are you hoping to be able to get into the parks that night after you check in? Are you renting a car and likely to be extra tired driving at what will seem to be midnight according to your internal clock? If you answer yes to either of those questions, the extra money might be worth it to fly into an airport that's only 15-20 minutes away. If neither are really a concern, then the cheaper fare could be money spent elsewhere on your trip.

I really like SNA and as the PP said, it is closer so transportation can cost less. I also, do not like the "old/dirty" feel I get from LAX so it is worth it to go to SNA. I think the PP said it right in that you have to consider how you are getting from the airport to your hotel.

I actually like LAX, and we don't have problems flying into or out of there.

However, with only $100 difference total, considering the difference in cost (multiplying by both ways) in getting from/to the airport (we've rented a car at LAX, we've taken SuperShuttle to or from both airports, and I've taken Grayline's Disneyland Resort Express from/to LAX), we'd likely go with SNA.

We just came home from Disneyland Saturday night, we flew in/out of SNA and used Super Shuttle. I LOVE SNA - we arrived at the airport at 4:30 on Saturday night and the airport was so quiet. We were checked in and through security within 15-20 minutes.

We flew back Sunday night and SLA was great....

Left DCA Park at 4:15 PM. We could have stayed later in the park...

flight left at 8:00 PM.

Flying in/out of SNA...I heard it is one of the most scary airports to fly in and out of due to the take off/landing. It is a sharp turn or something like that.

Is that true?! I am NOT a good flier and just flying from Vancouver, BC to LAX is turbulent and I have trouble with the mild turbulence on that short flight. :(

Maybe next time I could just get something from my doctor to calm my nerves and we could fly into/out of that airport instead.

Easier trip for my family could mean a nicer trip :)

Flying in/out of SNA...I heard it is one of the most scary airports to fly in and out of due to the take off/landing. It is a sharp turn or something like that.

Is that true?! I am NOT a good flier and just flying from Vancouver, BC to LAX is turbulent and I have trouble with the mild turbulence on that short flight. :(

Maybe next time I could just get something from my doctor to calm my nerves and we could fly into/out of that airport instead.

Easier trip for my family could mean a nicer trip :)

OH great, now you have me nervous about flying into SNA on Friday! I'm a nervous flyer also, my doc gave me xanax (2 pills, one for trip out and one for flight back) so I'm hoping that will help me some. I really would have liked to have a few "back up" pills just in case it wears off some during the flight so if you ask for it ask for 4 pills not just 2!

I believe that they take off and land at a steeper angle (and maybe faster too? it's been awhile since i flew at that airport) in order to keep the noise down for the people who live around there. I can't remember about a sharp turn or not. I'm a somewhat nervous flier and I didn't think it was bad.

We always flew SNA until our last trip which we flew out and into LAX because it saved us a total of $300 for two flights. Normally it takes us about 25 min to get to DL from SNA and it took 40 min from LAX to DL. It was worth a little more time on the road for the $300 we saved.

On the day I booked my flight, it cost me about $35 more to fly to SNA rather than LAX. I have flown into both airports before. Since I am flying solo, I am more than willing to pay the extra $35. I was really impressed, back in 2008 with how easy I got around in that airport. It was easy to find Ground Transportation, and the Disneyland XPress Bus was right there. I got to my hotel very quickly. So I decided to go with the familiar route, also because it is closer and takes less time.

Someone told me about the steeper takeoff and landing of the plane at SNA, but I didn't notice any difference from when I have flown into other airports.

We've never flown into LAX, but we have flown into SNA and we love it. It is easy to get around and easy to get to DLR.

I would check out the costs of transport from LAX and SNA and decide which one would work best for you. Check out the shuttles, buses and car rental (whichever is going to work for you).

SNA has a very short runway of only 5700 ft (vs LAX over 10,000 ft) requiring a very fast take off and hard landing. We go in and out all the time and if you are aware of the unusual takeoff and landing process it should be OK for a nervous flyer.

I believe that they take off and land at a steeper angle (and maybe faster too? it's been awhile since i flew at that airport) in order to keep the noise down for the people who live around there. I can't remember about a sharp turn or not. I'm a somewhat nervous flier and I didn't think it was bad.

Yes, it's a fast, steep take off. I don't notice a difference in the landing. And as long as you know the take off will be different, it's not a problem and I am NOT a good flyer. LOL

One thing to keep in mind about LAX, if you fly out late morning to early afternoon on a day a cruise ship or two have come in, the line for baggage check in and security can be INSANE. I like SNA.....

SNA has a very short runway of only 5700 ft (vs LAX over 10,000 ft) requiring a very fast take off and hard landing. We go in and out all the time and if you are aware of the unusual takeoff and landing process it should be OK for a nervous flyer.

Yep yep. When I flew out of there, they did mention it before we took off.

You want a disturbing landing, fly into San Diego on a clear sunny day! Hello buildings, I'm flying right in between you*..... And taking off there, it almost feels like you're going vertical. Nice thing about that, though, is that you get to cruising altitude in almost NO time, and get to turn on your mp3 players etc that much sooner!

*My brother and sis in law just bought a condo right downtown, walking distance from the "philip's head screwdriver" building (featured in Soarin'), and their windows face out on the flight path and landing area. Wowie those airplanes just go right through downtown.

The worst take off and landing is Boise, Idaho to San Francisco, CA it is straight up till the plane levels off at Lake Tahoe for less than a minute Then you are shoot straight down thru clouds till you pop out just over the pacific ocean where they bank the plane and then land it to a screeching halt!!!! :scared1::sick: :scared1: :sick:

And then at the Dallas Airport we landed so far away we taxied crossed 2 freeways to get to the Airport concourse!!!:confused:

I'm just curious as to whether or not it will make your day of flying longer? SNA is a smaller airport and very unlikely to have a non/stop flight from Buffalo. So are you changing planes at all or perhaps just having a short stop somewhere in between? That would definately factor into my decision based on the amount of time. If they are both non/stop flights then SNA is a much easier airport to deal with. LAX can be extremely busy, with long lines for security, etc. Also, it's such a short drive from the airport to the Disney hotels and usually cheaper if you are using shuttle transportation.

The take off out of SNA is based on noise reduction like the other's have said. It's a little strange feeling but totally normal and if you know in advance that it's coming you should be prepared. I'm a flight attendant so this is my professional opinion. LOL.:flower3:

You want a disturbing landing, fly into San Diego on a clear sunny day! Hello buildings, I'm flying right in between you*..... And taking off there, it almost feels like you're going vertical. Nice thing about that, though, is that you get to cruising altitude in almost NO time, and get to turn on your mp3 players etc that much sooner!

I was going to mention San Diego too! SNA is nothing compared to there. The last time I flew in we didn't quite make it, were closing to touching down and then had to circle and try again. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter