Flying into Seattle...

Horizon flies SEA-YVR pretty much every hour. The Q400 is a great plane.

You're spending a bunch of money on a Disney Cruise, spend the extra little bit and fly into Vancouver.

You are 100% correct, It was probably almost the same price to take the bus as it is to grab the quick flight.

I flew from Fl last year on SW and the pice was right I did end up staying with great friends for 1 night so that was a nice benefit I did see that quality inn has rates of around $160 per night and offered transport to the train. I did take the train and was thrilled with doing that. We got to Vancouver at noon and was checked into the Pan and in room by 1230pm. On the return I did Quick Shuttle and got to sea tack 30 min early. For us to fly to vancouver was $950 a piece. It was worth it and would do it again!

I just priced out Horizon for our trip from SEA to YVR on the days that I needed and they wanted over $700 round trip for 2 people. :scared1:

We flew one way into Vancouver. After the cruise, we took the trim to Seattle and flew home from there. Saved us money and time when you factored in the transportation from Seattle.

LOL!!

It's a good thing that I have some time to try to figure this out- I'll be adjusting travel plans until we go...:rotfl2:

it was cheaper for us this summer to rent a car in Seattle, keep it parked at the hotel for a week, than to buy tickets for 5 to Vancouver.

Dh drove me and the kids to the port the morning of the cruise, then he took the truck back to the hotel and took a cab.

It worked out really well.

We priced all the options associated with flying into Seattle or Vancouver as well as associated transportation, hotel costs, etc. We basically took this approach -- flew into Seattle, rented a car and drove to Vancouver the night before the cruise, parked our car at the Vancouver cruise terminal for a week, and then picked up the car after the cruise.

The extenuating circumstances contributed to this plan, too -- we spent a couple of weeks after the cruise in the Pacific Northwest touring. However, we also had looked into flying into Vancouver and renting a car there, but due to car rental prices and insurance options (it was much easier to ensure automatic auto insurance coverage through our credit cards by renting in the U.S. vs. Canada) we stuck with the Seattle flights. We also had frequent flyer miles to use, which were easier with a U.S. bound flight.

Honestly, Amtrak would have been my initial preference, but we ended up pleased with our plan and the pricing, once we got it all worked out.

Seems to be the go-to workaround for pricey Vancouver flights.
So... how do you get over to Vancouver from there? Id rather not do a one way rental..

It gets complicated IMO. And it adds time and money. Because the nicest way IMO, assuming you don't want to just add Vancouver into your vacation plans for a few days on either side, is to:

Fly in.
Stay in hotel either near the airport or near King Street train station.
Get to train station super-early in the morning.
Catch early train.
Get to Vancouver.
Stay a night in Vancouver.
Take a taxi or walk (depending on where your hotel is) to Canada Place the next day and board your cruise.
When you disembark, do it in reverse. :)

But that's extra days and enough money that it starts closing in on just flying in directly to Vancouver.

We flew into Seattle, rented a car, drove to Vancouver and stayed at Pan Pacific. Dropped the family off at hotel with luggage and then the car off at Avis (couple blocks from port). Took the cruise the next day. Picked up a car from National (at the port) for the return trip. Cheaper to do two one-way car rentals than pay for a week and parking.

Seems like one way rental is the best option cost-wise.
Only issue is we do not use credit cards, which can exclude a lot of rental companies. I feel like this might be an even bigger issue in another country..

We do cash deposit here locally no prob, but we live nearby..

We flew into Seattle, rented a car, drove to Vancouver and stayed at Pan Pacific. Dropped the family off at hotel with luggage and then the car off at Avis (couple blocks from port). Took the cruise the next day. Picked up a car from National (at the port) for the return trip. Cheaper to do two one-way car rentals than pay for a week and parking.
This looks like a plan we will consider if we fly SWA on points. How long is the drive from Seattle to Vancouver? Is it mostly highway driving?
TIA

This looks like a plan we will consider if we fly SWA on points. How long is the drive from Seattle to Vancouver? Is it mostly highway driving?
TIA
It is about 3 hours drive and mostly highway (except when you get into Vancouver). The border wait can make it longer. We waited only about 10 minutes at the border but depending on the day and time it can be much longer according to the border website.

We looked into the trains but the times are not convenient. Plus I liked having a car because then more is under our control.

On our return trip, we picked up the car at the Pan Pacific, drove to Seattle and flew home on a 6pm flight that day (with couple hours to spare but wanted a later flight just in case).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter