Flying into Orlando the morning of the cruise?

I hopepixiedust: everything works out and you have 2 wonderful cruises! I also thank your family for their sacrifices.

I take a chance like that because we don't have the luxury of time together. When my husband comes home from Afghanistan this February we only have 2 weeks before he heads back. So for us the possibility of time together on the Dream is worth the risk of losing out on the money. Thank you Insureman for your kind words. It means a lot.

You welcome and it's worth the cost of your 2nd cruise just to spend time with the husband during a deployment. If it were me I would have payed 10 times that amount to be able to have time with my family. In life we have to grab those opportunities when they present themselves.

Thank you. This post was not to "vent" like love2shop stated, but to find out if others have flown in successfully the day of. I do not have the luxury of time that maybe some of you have since my husband is in Afghanistan and will only be home for 2 weeks, so we wanted a little alone time and then family time. Thank you DL1957 for your recommendation about the travel through Disney. I hadn't thought of that. I originally asked if others had flown in successfully, not for advice doing so.

Thank you to your family. My DNephew is in the Army and he and my dn have been trying to book for some time. I know this will work for you. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Sue

Thank you from our family to yours for the sacrifice you all make.

We flew in on sail day, it's doable. Have a great time!!!!

pixiedust:

Has anyone ever flown in the morning of the cruise?

Yes, we have. Only tried it once (out of 8 cruises) just because we know all the "what ifs" that can happen to delay/divert a flight and I'm a 'fraidy cat. Choose the earliest nonstop of the day, and preferably on an airline with several flights as backups.

Thank you to your family for serving our country!!

That is exactly what I did when booking. I am feeling pretty good about it now. Thanks once again to everyone's kind words.

We always fly in at least one night before the cruise. We have had a flight that made an emergency landing on a trip from AZ back home to MN. We landed in Albuquerque and were there for several hours before finishing our flight home. We picked up my in-laws, after very long delay getting home. On a return flight home from LAX; there was a mechanical problem with the plane that delayed them. Weather could be an issue flying from anywhere.

So we know first hand that things can go wrong that could cause you to miss a connection like a cruise.

Unfortunately, we as their parents will be on the Disney Dream from Feb 23-27, then they will meet us for the Dream from Feb 27-March 3. As they are only 13 and 15, they can fly alone but cannot come in the night before while we are still on the cruise. Flying them in first thing in the morning is the only option. Guess I am going to have to keep my fingers crossed for some pixie dust for the weather.

Have you checked with the Hwatt @ MCO it is in the airport so your boys would not have to leave the airport until you arrive the next morning. Just a though might be worth a call.

I had already thought of that and they are not old enough in the state of Florida to rent a room even if paid for in advance. I think they will be fine flying in by 9:15 am. Like many have said, thousands do it every week. Thanks for thinking of that though.

I'm sure they will be fine since like it was said before many people fly in the same day, but I'd have back up plans just in case, better safe then sorry

As a fellow military wife (Army), here is my 2 cents!!

I don't know if you have travel insurance already, but if you are a USAA member, I suggest booking your trip insurance through them. If you aren't a USAA member, you should join. Their insurance is the ONLY one that will cover cancelled leave and (which happened to us). My husband's return flight from Iraq was delayed by three days so that is a possibility. They will also cover any missed connections - which includes missing your second cruise - if the plane doesn't land on time. At worst then - you will be covered financially for your second cruise if something happens with the flight from Baltimore and if you do miss part of your second cruise you will still all be together in Florida so it will be OK!!! Anyway, as long as you aren't going to be out money because your travel insurance will cover you and you know you will all be together which is the most important thing, everything will be just fine. That is the important part of mid-tour - getting reconnected. You can't do that if you are worried!!!

And don't let everyone who is naysaying your plan get you down - as you know you can only deal with your situation. I would say the majority of people on the East Coast fly in the morning of and you just don't hear of thousands of people regularly missing cruises!!

Have a great time.

Hey thanks. Some can really put a damper on things. I think it will work out well and I will be checking into the insurance. Thanks and tell your hubby thanks and stay safe. Mine was just in Iraq last year.

I would never ever do this in winter in the Washington/Baltimore area (at least not without insurance and some way of catching up to the ship - or a backup plan in case of missing the ship). As it's your only option, there is nothing else for you to do except have a backup plan (for example, the WDW reservation number on your phone so you can call and try to book a room for the weekend if you don't get on the ship and don't want to try and catch up with it, or the number to call the Swan/Dolphin and inquire about military discounted rooms). It will be better to have such a plan than it would be to be in the situation where you miss the ship and have no plan.

I've done it before, but in May and with a very early flight.

Hey thanks. Some can really put a damper on things. I think it will work out well and I will be checking into the insurance. Thanks and tell your hubby thanks and stay safe. Mine was just in Iraq last year.

Also, make sure you keep a number for Shades of Green. It is really nice and they have great rates/packages for mid-tour leave and keep some rooms set aside for mid-tours. If it is reallly stressing you out about making the second cruise and you haven't already made final payment, you might consider just meeting up with your kids and going to shades of green instead. Although, I don't think doing WDW is very relaxing or prone to reconnecting. :confused3
I think you will be just fine. Your goal for mid-tour is to spend family time - if that doesn't end up happening on DCL it will happen somewhere else. Don't let overplanning and worrying ruin the time together. I think the last day of mid-tour when you have to put him back on the plane is worse than when they leave at the beginning of a deployment, so please jiust enjoy and if the plans are stressing you - change the plans to the best of your ability!!!

Take care - my thoughts are with you (I am in DC so I know exactly about the weather situation here!!)

Denas- THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting about USAA trip insurance! It never dawned on me that they offer that! As you know, we can plan all we want, but the military sometimes has other ideas. ;) I will be contacting them ASAP to insure our trip through them!! THANK YOU!!

Others have answered this very well but I'll throw in my 2 cents. When I cruised in October, I booked everything through Disney, and DISNEY chose to fly me in the same day as departure. So relax and enjoy.

I do agree, however, that given a choice, I'd come in the night before. We got up so early on departure day that I was falling asleep over my dinner at Animator's Palate!

You obviously have a family member or friend watching the kids while you are on the first portion of the cruise. My recommendation would be to keep checking the other direct flights out of BWI that day and see how full they look.

Just because there are other flights leaving BWI to MCO doesn't mean your kids will be able to get seats on those if the early flight has issues. If the flights start to get booked or if there is a snow storm coming, purchase refundable tickets a few days before to make sure they get a seat on the later flights if needed. Once they get on their flight or the morning of travel, cancel the refundable tickets.

Hopefully the travel time is not during the closing of your credit card and it will be a wash with the charges so you won't have to pay out any additional money. I've done this a few times when my air carrier was threatening a strike and once during a possible snowstorm.

This is just another way to make sure that you get your kids to FL when needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter