Flying in to MCO morning of

annaruth674

Earning My Ears
Ok, I need someone to give me a success story! It looks like we're going to HAVE to fly in to MCO the morning of our cruise. I'm still trying to work it out to fly in the night before, but it's not looking good.

The earliest flight I'm finding lands at about 930. With the Disney shuttle to port, we should be fine time-wise, right??

So I would LOVE to hear from those of you who have flown in that morning and didn't have any issues! Keeping my fingers crossed for pixie dust here!

Ok, I need someone to give me a success story! It looks like we're going to HAVE to fly in to MCO the morning of our cruise. I'm still trying to work it out to fly in the night before, but it's not looking good.

The earliest flight I'm finding lands at about 930. With the Disney shuttle to port, we should be fine time-wise, right??

So I would LOVE to hear from those of you who have flown in that morning and didn't have any issues! Keeping my fingers crossed for pixie dust here!

You'll be fine if you arrive at 9:30. You should be in the port at around 11am. BUT, if that flight gets delayed or canceled, you better be ready to be able to land before 3pm...

Many people do fly in the morning of departure without problem. However, chances of missing the cruise increase the less time you have allowed for the "what-ifs" and "it'll never happen" occurs. With a 9:30am arrival, you have little wiggle room if there is a delay or cancellation -- due to mechanical problem, weather-related problem, problem at your airport or the airport where the flight comes from, etc.

Chances are you will be OK. But just know you are taking a risk because too many things are out of your control that morning.

Enjoy your cruise!

Oy, I definitely know the risk!! I'm trying to work it out to be able to fly in the night before, we're just having scheduling problems on this side :-/ I'm worried about all that could go wrong that morning, and all the what-ifs.

I have flown in the morning of a cruise with no issues, however it was only one time :) My friend and I did a quick, 3 night Dream cruise we booked like 3 weeks out this past December. The SWA flights were direct and arrived around 9am with another flight after that if something happened. I also always buy insurance so at least my money will be refunded, god forbid something happens.

Agree with the other posters - yes, TONS do it this way all the time and nothing happens. If it's your only chance then I'd just make sure you have insurance and an early flight as you mentioned.

Heather

We flew in the morning of for our first two DCL cruises with no issues whatsoever. We felt ok about doing it because we had relatively short, nonstop flights from DC. We also had insurance, which I personally would never travel without! Both times we landed at a little after 11:00, took DCL transportation, and were on the ship by 12:15/12:30.

99% chance of it all just working out. We've done that twice from the West coast. Once with a stop in Atlanta and once straight through--both landing before 10AM. Both times we opted to rent a car and drive ourselves to the port. Had plenty of time to drive over, return the car and arrive before our PAT. One time we got to the port before they let departure people arrive and they made us come back later..

A few years back we flew in the morning of our cruise (a Celebrity cruise out of Miami). We were all a bit nervous as we left the gate late. Good news was; since it was a direct flight the pilot was able to make up the time. We ended up boarding the ship with time to spare ::yes::. Clearly having the direct flight made us feel a lot better once we were in the air. I think having connecting flights would have put us over the edge emotionally.:scared1:
Now with Disney Cruises (12 & counting) since we always hit WDW, we drive :car: down a few days early & stay a few after the cruise.

You should be fine. Tons of folks fly in the morning of and have no problems.

We usually always fly in direct the morning of the cruise. Our flight originates from Norfolk and departs around 7:30-8:00 am. Arriving in MCO at the latest 10:00am. We have never (and hopefully never do) had any problem getting to the port on time. However; we NEVER use Disney transportation. There are 5 of us and we hire a limo service because the cost is cheaper and we have the limo to ourselves. They make a stop at the grocery store/liquor store so you can pick up what you need. We have used southern elegance limo's for 6-7 trips and the driver knows all of us by our first names. You should not have any problems if the flight is direct non-stop! Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

We flew in morning of, rented a car, and drove to the port. Dropped off our car and took a shuttle to the port. It as super easy and we were there by noon.

We've done it successfully several of times. You didn't mention where you coming from or what time of year. Nonstop? Lots of alternate flights on the route? Non-hurricane season? Bigger plane? No worries!

If a couple of those aren't true - worry a little! We were just coming from Atlanta so no connection, short flight, and many, many planes going that way (and challenging but viable alternatives to Tampa or others airports if MCO is shutdown for some reason)

Monitor the weather and know alternatives and the rules for working with your airline if weather is a risk. If it's severe most allow for changes but you gotta act fast and be patient and flexible.

Also done it both ways and agree with all the above posts. Chances are 98-99% of the time you're fine flying in the day of. However, for my family and to be totally honest, I just won't take the 1-2% risk unless I absolutely have to. My wife and I work so hard and have so much riding on that vacation, if we don't make it, well, it wouldn't be pretty. So we always try to arrive at least one day early if we can. I consider it a form of insurance that I've done everything I can to make the ship. Just my $0.02.

It really depends on what time of the year you are flying and also the airport you travel from. The first flight of the morning is generally a good bet, as you don't have to worry about waiting for an arriving flight.

I fly a lot, and have experienced many "what ifs" so I probably wouldn't do it. If your going to do it I would take the very first flight in the morning. You will have less chance of having any delays.

We rarely fly in the day of the cruise but we will be doing it for our EBTA on Monday. We had no other choice because my DD graduates from High School Sunday afternoon. I believe I have done all I can to lessen the risks- first flight of the day 6:00 am out of Milwaukee, there are also flights that leave practically every hour from either MKE or ORD, it's a non stop flight that arrives at 9:40 am. We booked DCL transport so we can tag and check our bags and skip baggage claim at MCO. We have trip insurance. Unless something really freaky happens, we should be fine.

At least I had some control in my flight plans. Some on our cruise who booked air through DCL are not schedule to arrive until after 1:00 pm on a flight with a connection. Even though DCL will help them if something happens, I would still be stressed out of my mind.

While it caused me quite a lot of stress, we once had to fly in the morning of a cruise. We also landed around 9:30am and made it to the port by 11:30.

If we decide to fly in the day before, what is teh best way to get from MCO to the hotel near Port Canaveral. And then from hotel to Port Canaveral. i will have 6 people.

Is Disney Transportation an option if we fly in the day before and go straight to a hotel vs. the docks.

I would prefer to fly in the day before since we will be traveling in December. But I am not sure of the logistics.

Thanks.

If we decide to fly in the day before, what is teh best way to get from MCO to the hotel near Port Canaveral. And then from hotel to Port Canaveral. i will have 6 people.

Is Disney Transportation an option if we fly in the day before and go straight to a hotel vs. the docks.

I would prefer to fly in the day before since we will be traveling in December. But I am not sure of the logistics.

Thanks.

No, DCL transportation is only available on the day of the cruise.

Now, if you book MCO Hyatt, you can get DCL transportation the next morning at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter