Flying in a Month to Disney

Hollei Varga

Earning My Ears
Hi! So I Love Disney! I have been there many times... but.... I've never flown before. We have always taken a train, or drove down.

We are flying down in 1 Month.. and .. :guilty:

I'm scared to death! I've been trying to read about flying, and my fears etc... But I'm wondering if some of you could give me words of encouragement.... and what to expect? My children have never flown ( They are 10, 7 & 4 ) however they are not afraid. My husband has flown many times. He doesn't understand my fear.

I don't want my fear of flying to ruin any part of my trip... As I love Disney so much!! My flight is only 2 hours, we are flying southwest.. Any Tips?

Thanks!!

I'm not a huge fan of flying either. I have a few things that work for me--my nook loaded with a few books I'm looking forward to reading. Headphones and music. And Xanax. I only take it if I feel I really need it, but just having it with me helps. Do your kids have handheld game systems that they can play with each other? I do that with my nephew sometimes. Or I have been know to have blank paper and be ready with Hangman or the dot/box game. Whatever helps to distract from the flying!

What specifically about flying is making you nervous? That might help people assuage your fears.

I am terrified to fly - it's awful. I know my fear is irrational, but it doesn't help.

I think the worst is landing/takeoff since that's usually the roughest point. I just try and bring things to distract myself. The only thing that really keeps me calm is that I try to play it cool for my kids, that way they don't freak out! And having driven from Ohio, being in Disney within 2 hours instead of 16 is absolute magic.

Keep the window closed. Load a movie or a book on your ipad/Kindle. Go to the bathroom before the flight so you don't have to worry about getting up and walking around.

We usually try to get a seat at the piano bar...Southwest of course...and the time just flies by. A couple martinis and a little kareoke (sp) and we're landing.

Just keep going over your plans for the parks, read the inflight magazine, have a soda, and if you see a friend named Jack, please don't say hijack.

It's very easy to understand a fear of flying. Yes, driving is more dangerous. But, you are more in control in your car (or at least it feels that way) and it's not nearly as spectacular when you crash your car. In a plane, you put your life in a strangers hands. You have no control whatsoever, and if there's an issue, it sure is pretty spectacular if the plane crashes!!! So, yeah, it's easy to understand.
So, do I like flying? I used to hate it. Now, I'm much better. But, that's because I do it a lot more than most people. My dd used to be terrified to get on a plane. She's very comfortable flying now...at almost 23!! I used to tell her to watch the flight attendants. If they seemed to be just going about their business, then things are fine. You need to keep in mind exactly how many planes take off and land every single day...with no issues whatsoever. You need to remember how many people make a living at 30,000'!! They would't do it if it was dangerous.

So, try to find websites that will give you an idea as what you'll hear and feel, especially taking off and landing. I know that there can be a very disconcerting weightless feeling about 20 seconds after you take off!! That's a little off putting!!! Not sure why it happens.
As far as taking something to calm you down, I don't usually advise it, especially if flying with little ones. Bring a few magazines...they're easier to read when taking off or landing...lighter and fluffier than a book! Bring some snacks. Then, try to sit in an aisle seat. That usually helps vs sitting on the window. Did you ever take a Lamaze class? If so, use that breathing...it helps!!!
I'm flying in a month....I'll be thinking of you!!! Good luck..you've got this!!!!

You might sit in an aisle seat. This seemed to help with my nephew who was very disturbed about his first flight. His doctor also gave him a couple of pills that helped. He was about 50 years old on that flight to Vegas from Indy. About five years later he does much better flying.

It's very easy to understand a fear of flying. Yes, driving is more dangerous. But, you are more in control in your car (or at least it feels that way) and it's not nearly as spectacular when you crash your car. In a plane, you put your life in a strangers hands. You have no control whatsoever, and if there's an issue, it sure is pretty spectacular if the plane crashes!!! So, yeah, it's easy to understand.
So, do I like flying? I used to hate it. Now, I'm much better. But, that's because I do it a lot more than most people. My dd used to be terrified to get on a plane. She's very comfortable flying now...at almost 23!! I used to tell her to watch the flight attendants. If they seemed to be just going about their business, then things are fine. You need to keep in mind exactly how many planes take off and land every single day...with no issues whatsoever. You need to remember how many people make a living at 30,000'!! They would't do it if it was dangerous.

So, try to find websites that will give you an idea as what you'll hear and feel, especially taking off and landing. I know that there can be a very disconcerting weightless feeling about 20 seconds after you take off!! That's a little off putting!!! Not sure why it happens.
As far as taking something to calm you down, I don't usually advise it, especially if flying with little ones. Bring a few magazines...they're easier to read when taking off or landing...lighter and fluffier than a book! Bring some snacks. Then, try to sit in an aisle seat. That usually helps vs sitting on the window. Did you ever take a Lamaze class? If so, use that breathing...it helps!!!
I'm flying in a month....I'll be thinking of you!!! Good luck..you've got this!!!!

I cracked up at your mention of a Lamaze class. I imagine the breathing techniques would be helpful, but thinking of a plane full of people going "hee hee hoo" makes me LOL.

Download the app called Headspace and start doing it now. Also, Xanax. It is a great drug for these situations. I find that I don't even always need to take it, but it is calming to know that I have it if I need it.

Distraction distraction distraction. and vodka. Just kidding. Sort of.

Earphones and music or movies are working wonders.

If you feel that because you are with your kids you can't spend the flight wearing earphones, a book...an iPad with games (sound off or way down)...something to keep you busy. And if turbulence freaks you out, watch the flight attendants, notice them being calm. To them it will just be normal stuff.

I guess a lot of it depends on what your actual fears are. I'm a bit of a nervous flyer myself but once I get up in the air, but its the anticipation that gets me, especially if I haven't flown in a while. Once in flight, I'm usually ok.

Here are a few insights that I can offer:
- Before the flight, I always get my own drink and a salty snack (I'm prone to motion sickness sometimes and I like to munch while in flight and have a coke or ginger ale). I also use the restroom so I don't have to go on the plane (hopefully).

- Take off- I find take off to be fun. Just be aware that the plane will turn and bank some as it gets into position. Your ears may bother you some as you change altitude but its usually not that bad.

- During flight- if you are nervous, distract yourself. Listen to music, play games on your phone or ipad, talk to your kids or hubby. If you do hit some turbulence along the way, its okay. I like to think of it as a car driving along a bumpy road or going over potholes. Don't panic. Pay attention to those around you. Especially the flight crew. The best piece of advice I ever got was to watch them. If they are going about their normal business of serving drinks, snacks, etc then you are good to go.

- Descent- this is where I have my problems. My ears do not take well to the descent. I usually start chewing lots of gum to relieve the pressure. (The crew will come around and start picking up trash after everyone has had their snacks and drinks. I usually start chewing gum around them). For me this is the absolute worst part of flying.

- Landing. You will know when you are coming in for a landing. As the wheels touch the runway and you start to brake, it can make you a bit nervous but its over with quickly. I still grip my seat handles, but I will say that all the Southwest flights Ive been on have had great smooth landings.

I also have to remind myself that statistically speaking flying is so much safer than driving and its a huge time saver.

I hope this helps some. I also hope you have a safe, uneventful flight and wonderful trip!

I cracked up at your mention of a Lamaze class. I imagine the breathing techniques would be helpful, but thinking of a plane full of people going "hee hee hoo" makes me LOL.
Well, I wasn't really thinking about the breathing for transition! That would be funny! I was thinking more of the early breathing, with a focal point, relaxing your muscles.

A two hour flight won't be that bad! I'm not the world's best flyer, but I'm way better than I used to be. My other half relies on Valium. I do it a little differently. It try to break everything into manageable segments.

First of all, know that arriving at the airport will be a bit of a stress all by itself. There's luggage to check in, security lines to go through, and usually a lot of other people around you. Read up on what you can and can't pack into your carry on luggage. This will help get you ready and also prevent any unwelcome last minute surprises when you realize that TSA really means it when they say certain things can't go into our carry on bags.

Next there's the waiting to board the plane. This is often the most stressful part of the entire experience to me. We arrive early. Then we sit and wait. And wait. And wait. Rum and Coca Cola helps during this part.

Then there's the boarding process. Waiting in line and then boarding. Put your carry on bags above your head or under the seat in front of you. Then settle. Adjust your seat belt. And wait some more.

Take off. This is the second most stressful part to me. Sometimes it helps to have some hard candies or mints to put into your mouth then. I always buy a bottle of water once i'm through the security lines, and I take that on board with me just for this moment. It calms me.

Once you're in the air, keep your seat belt on unless you're getting up to go the restroom or retrieving something from the overhead bins. Some people find this to be a nuisance. I find it reassuring.

Again, with a two hour flight, you've got it made. You take off. Reach cruising altitude. There will be drinks and possibly snacks. Consider bringing your own snacks in your carry on. Let the flight attendants give you something. Juice. Soda. Water. Something. It passes the time. Drink slowly.

Then after the attendants deliver the drinks and/or snacks, they come back through to take your trash.

And on a short flight like this, pretty soon after that you're in descent. And then you land. Landing is great. You've arrived. Collect all of your things, take small children by the hand, and you've done it!!!

For your own sanity, do make sure that the kids all of snacks and things to do on the flight. That way you can stay in your own zen spot and not have to come up with ways to entertain people.

That may not help you, but as someone who used to have major flight anxiety, I feel for you. You CAN do this. Your method may be different than mine or anyone else's, but this IS something that you can do.

The worst part of flying is getting through security. I've noticed the lines are so much shorter now so even that's not a big deal anymore.

Have the 3 kids sit in their own row & you & dh sit across from them. The kids will be fine & have dh sit in the aisle seat so he can take care of anything they need. You just bring something to distract yourself. Either a book or watch tv (for free on southwest)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter