Flying Fish 1/6/11

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Two Thumbs way up! :cool1:
We always enjoy FF. But haven't been there for probably 2 years.

Two adults.

We each just ordered unsweet ice tea to drink. The house tea ;) that night was Chamomile (something). Sounded like part of the pod/seed area.
And when we got it, we also each had a glass of water, in the same type of glassware. The tea was not much different in color than the water. There was a lemon wedge on the tea.
When he brought the tea, in my head I was wrinkling my nose thinking this stuff will be tasteless and weak. :sad2:
WRONG!! It tasted cinnamon-y and reminded me of a chai tea.
It was GOOD stuff. If I knew where to buy it and make it myself, I would.

The server (who was excellent) brought out a basket of several slices of literally hot out of the oven bread. :thumbsup2

In addition we each received a little fried (whatever) on a plate. It was like a fried pastry crust with what I thought he said was remoulade inside. But it was basically a half moon shape pastry with something good inside, and gussied up with drippings and a pinch of something little, green and leafy on top. :laughing: (Maybe arugula.)
ALSO REALLY GOOD. mmmm. I could have had about five of those with a bowl of soup and been fine.

We split an appy of the Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake. Comes with a slaw and some dressings.
One large crab cake -- snowball size. Had some slaw on other fixin's. ALL very good again. :woohoo:

Main entrees --

DH - The Chef's Thunder Entree: Lots of fancy fixings, but basically Brioche crusted Florida Coast Flounder and Belize Peninsula Laughing Bird Shrimp "Scampi". Did not seem one bit like scampi. And the breading on the fish had horseradish in it. (Although DH could not tell.)
He REALLY enjoyed his meal. :love:

Me - Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops. Mushrooms, mascarpone, pecorini-laced risotto with Jamon Serrano Cracklins'.
What I think were the "cracklins" at the time I wondered was a really good bacon. It reminded me of that -- but really good stuff, and not quite like bacon.
Of course it was really good. :wizard: And rather than stuff myself, I brought leftovers home with some bread. :cheer2: Talk about a good leftover lunch. :cloud9:

Great service, and great food. Wonderful dining experince. :cool2:
I had to bring a menu home. Otherwise I could not remebered half the stuff we ate tonight. :rotfl2:

They also were offering a Chef's Special Marathon Weekend Carb-load Pasta Thunder: Bucatini Pasta Bolognese
And also a Lacto-Ovo Friendly or Vegetarian Selection: Pesto laced Vegetable Primavera.

Thank you for that review. I've never eaten at Flying Fish but plan to someday. I have friend who was there recently and he tried some kind of potato wrapped fish and said it might very well have been the best meal of his life. I figure with that kind of recommendation, it's got to be good!

The Flying Fish is one of my favorite Disney restaurants so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, too. I feel bad when people don't enjoy the FF because I'm always singing its praises!

I always intend to try the scallops but haven't gotten there yet....only because the Chef's Thunder seems to win out every time! I've never had a bad meal and have always had great service!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter