flying fears.. I need help...

disneydreamerinny

Elliot’s MiMi
Now that I am less than two months away from a trip that I have been planning for two years, it is starting to sink in that I will be flying.

I have always been leary of flying. The last flight was in 1998 on our last trip to DW and I was very nervous and on edge. Everytime there was turbulance, I teard up. My then 7 & 4 year old DD's were laughing at me, (at the prompting of their father) which helped lighten things up a bit.

Now, I am starting to get sweaty palms just thinking about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am up for anything. I would even take a pill or something but I dont want to feel drowsy or drugged. Anyone had any experience with this?

Help??
:eek: :eek: :( :(

There are classes you can take to get over this fear. Some are offered by pilots, others by psycologists. Do an Internet search or call your local mental health referral line. (Not saying you are crazy!)

Anne

I don't know how much help I'll be since I'm in the same boat as you, but I do take Xanax when I fly. It definitely helps - calms me a bit, though I'm still very aware of what's going on around me. I also break down the trip into 15-minute segments (it's about 13 segments for me to get to WDW!) - for some reason that makes it more manageable for me.

Good luck!

I also have a prescription for Xanax for my May flight. I hope it helps. I don't mind the drowsy part-my husband knows he has to be responsible for our son during the flight-I am just too nervous! Does anyone know if Xanax will help me sleep? Can I have a drink with it?

I sometimes have a hard time helping people with this since I don't understand the fear of flying. But I would suggest contacting your physician and explaining this and he can give you something to help you with it. it costs a lot to take the fearful flying classes offered by airlines. there may be a support group that could help you out. you might want to check into that. I do know a few that have done hypnotism to get over the fear of flying and it worked for them

Beverly Lynn - I wish I could remember the dosage of Xanax that I took. I THINK it was 25 mgs. - does that sound about right? Anyway, that only calmed me a bit but certainly didn't "put me out". In fact, I had asked if I could take more than one and that was not a problem. So, I know there have been times where I've taken two. That still didn't put me to sleep and didn't totally take away my flying fears. It certainly helped deaden some of the emotions, but I know that I was still able to visit and even help my daughter with her math while on the plane!

Remember, Xanax is highly addictive so don't take it if you don't need it!

Another anti-anxiety med my doctor gave me for flying is Ativan. I don't think it's as strong as Xanax, he is VERY modest when it comes to prescribing things, he actually gave me a prescription for 2 pills which is kind of embarassing to get filled. Especially when it says "Take one pill one hour prior to flight time". If you do happen to get this and take more than the prescibred dose (such as 4, like my mom did for her first flight...."they weren't working though") you definitely will fall asleep (she doesn't remember a thing about her first flight and learned a lesson about how long it takes for pills to work). Anyhow, I think that you'll manage seeing you have actually flown before. Don't feel bad though, my first flight was last year--pre-Sept 11th and I didn't need a thing, my second time will be in 3 days and I am definitely taking the pill exactly "1 hour prior to flight time".
Good luck and have a great trip!!:wave:

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I'm almost too chicken to call my physician, he's probably going to think I'm nuts...
I can see the 'ol raised eyebrow right now...

:p

Don't be embarrassed to call your doctor - you certainly won't be the first! I just tell my doc that I'm a "white-knuckle flyer" and want something to help me along. Like KJ, I only get a few pills at a time.

Good luck...

My husband has the same problem and his doctor gave him some valium for the trip. Just a few pills to take on the way down and the way back. Fear of flying (especially since 9/11) is more common then you think. Your doctor won't even bat an eyebrow.

We are two families that usually vacation together-the 2 men are afraid to fly. One gets a prescription (I believe for valium) the other does 3 scotchs-Most of the time both are half asleep before the plane takes off. Depending on flight time- they usually seem back to themselves shortly after we arrive. I know you mentioned you didnt want to be drowsy but as long as you are up and "ready to go" by the time you get there - some sleep may help pass the time.

How long does the effect of Xanax stay with you? Just curious for my DH who always gets so nerved up about flying.

I don't remember exactly, but I think the Xanax only stays in your system for around four hours. I was perfectly fine by the time we landed in Orlando, after a 3-1/2 hour flight. And, like I mentioned earlier, it never totally knocked me out.

Go to your local library and read some books on fear of flying.
Information is very powerful and can help overcome the irrational fears and help you deal with the most common fear which is "lack of control".
Most people have a fear of that as well as the fear of the unknown. Educate yourself and you can deal with it better. There is nothing wrong with being afraid...but there is something wrong with doing nothing about it.

I used to fly all the time and love it.
Then I had a incredibly turbulent flight and was very frightened to fly after that.
I used Xanax and calming music from there on and it helped but not as much as reading about flying and what turbulence is, what a commercial aircraft can withstand, flight safety etc..
I still get a little nervous but I feel much better about flying than I have in years.

One thing I found about Xanax is that it wont really knock you out if you are intensely stressed, upset, frightened etc.. but after the "challenge" is over I can get a little sleepy and or minorly buzzed.
The most I have taken is .75 miligrams which was (3) pills and I got pretty sleepy during the flight, but I was ready to go once I got to Orlando.
But talk to your doctor about anti anxiety medication before you take anything.
good luck!

I was a VERY fearful flyer. In tears on just about every trip. Flight Attendants would nearly have to calm me down and hold my arms down. I took the SOAR course and was immediately skeptical about it since it did not cure me immediately. Amazing after the visualization and other tips through the course I eventually became very calm during take offs. Not sure how or when but it happened. I am not afraid of doctor's needle anymore either. I was the biggest skeptic, but I do not know, maybe it just happened on its own but I have been fearful for many years. They run a message board on Ezboard at http://pub75.ezboard.com/bfearofflying74562 which also has links to the course. They e-mail you the first section so you can get started right away than the board provides support and feedback to fearful flyers.

I have taught relaxation and visualization techniques to trauma survivors and they are extremely effective for anxiety as Bill says. In addition to all these great suggestions, here's something you can do on your own, too: pick out a wonderful tape/CD of relaxing music (whatever makes you feel good) - as often as possible before the trip, lay down in a quiet, calm place and listen it through headphones while you relax - just concentrate on relaxing every part of your body and breathing into it one place at a time - ex: starting at your toes, moving up your legs, relaxing all the muscles all the way to the top of your head - lay there for at least ten minutes enjoying the feeling in your body of being totally relaxed while listening to the music. When you begin to become anxious on the trip, play the tape/CD - the more frequently you practice this beforehand, the greater your body's relaxation response will be to the music. Many top hospitals now use these techniques to prepare patients for major surgery, and actually send you into surgery listening to your tape. Add some positive affirmations while you are relaxing, such as "I can feel my body relaxing now" "I can feel my breath flowing effortlessly" - (do this at home while you are actually feeling that way, and repeat on the flight even if you're not). And do not feel ashamed to ask your doctor for help or meds - you would be amazed how many people deal with these anxieties everyday - you are certainly not alone! I would bet almost everyone on a plane these day is experiencing some level of fear - I know I'll be doing some 'deep breathing' on my 1st post 9/11 flight- thanks for bringing up the topic- good luck!
PS: someone mentioned having a drink with anxiety meds - yikes! - if you weren't kidding, the answer is no - double check that with your Dr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter