Flying Down In Our Own Plane - Orlando Int'l or Kissimee

717fan

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are planning on flying down to WDW this October in our own plane. Anybody have any thoughts on which airport might be better in terms of service, affordability, distance to WDW, friendliness. Any experiences with fixed-based operators (FBO's) at either field. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I've flown into MCO a bunch and have always had great service at Signature, but I'm not paying the bill. I've also landed at ORL several times and have always had terrific service from Showalter. I would have to think it would be less expensive at ORL. I haven't flown into Kissimee in quite a while so I can't really comment on any FBO's there.

Jason

How about that? A question that Kevin can't answer. LOL Just kidding! Amazingly enough no matter what people ask their is always someone on here that knows the answer. :)

WOW! I love that question! It has never occured to me that people have their own planes. Cool ;)

WOW! I love that question! It has never occured to me that people have their own planes. Cool ;)

I once drove through a development west of us that was specifically made for people who owned planes. They had runways instead of backyards. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I was only dropping off my sister for a party, but I wanted to pull over and wait for a plane to take off.

Oh the (envy inducing) joys of living in WPB. :cloud9:

:cool1: Yea, another private pilot! My husband is a pilot & we have an experimental 2-seater that he built in our garage. He is now almost finished building a 4-seater, in the basement, because my son has grown out of the baggage area of the smaller plane. We fly down every year. We have only taken commercial since my son grew out of the old plane. We will fly ourselves again as soon as the new one is done, hopefully for our trip in November. We only fly into Kissimmee. We love Marathon flight services there. We rent a car from Hertz & it is there waiting for us when we arrive at the FBO. Their tie down fees are reasonable & are waived for a night if you buy gas. I suspect the gas is cheaper than at Orlando Int'l as well, but cannot really say for sure. The 1st time we bought a cheap umbrella stroller, for our son, at Walmart & left it there. We never had to buy one again as they always had a few that had been left there. They are very nice and easy to deal with. There is a sort of bridge/tunnel in front of the entrance, so when it was raining upon arrival, my husband dropped us off before parking the plane. It is an easy drive to Disney from there. We always stop for groceries at either Walmart or Target, both are on the way.

Good Luck and have a nice flight. :yay:

I once drove through a development west of us that was specifically made for people who owned planes. They had runways instead of backyards. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I was only dropping off my sister for a party, but I wanted to pull over and wait for a plane to take off.

Oh the (envy inducing) joys of living in WPB. :cloud9:

The first time I saw anything like that was on Oprah. John Travolta lives in a community like that.

The actual thought of flying down in my own plane with Sean driving is intriguing. Maybe when I become a zillionaire. ;)

This is my husband's plan for retirement: to live at one of the zillions of airport communities around the country (there are tons in Florida & Texas), and fly right from our hanger to the runway. I am thinking it is doable as long as I don't have to go far to get to the stores. :rotfl:

:rotfl:My Dh's driving scares the daylights out of me, I can't imagine him as a pilot!:scared1:

However, it sure would be nice to not have to rely on commercial flights.:goodvibes

Mark Martin the NASCAR driver lives in fly in community near Daytona.

Mark Martin lives in the Spruce Creek Fly-In here in Port Orange. John Travolta also used to live in the fly-in here but now lives in a fly-in near Ocala which is about an hour away!

:rotfl:My Dh's driving scares the daylights out of me, I can't imagine him as a pilot!:scared1:

However, it sure would be nice to not have to rely on commercial flights.:goodvibes

I totally agree! DH has always wanted to learn how to fly a plane. I keep reminding him that he can't find his way driving on roads with signs, I don't know how he'd be able to get where he wants to go flying a plane. :rotfl:

Well, I've never heard such a thing. Here in Iowa, we make the driveways big enough to park your John Deere.

Well, I've never heard such a thing. Here in Iowa, we make the driveways big enough to park your John Deere.

And your starships -

MV5BMjg3MzEwMjUwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg2OTA1Mg@@._V1._SX600_SY255_.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter