Flying Discounts for Kids?

mtakac

Mouseketeer
I know that some airlines used to offer discount tix for children. Do these discounts still exist? I randomly searched a few airline websites and didn't see anything. I don't fly much so maybe this is something you have to do over the phone.

Also, are there any books or websites about traveling with an infant/child? My son is almost 8 months old and I could really use a traveling with baby 101resource. I feel so clueless. We don't have anything planned right now but a last minute trip is always possible and I'd like to be prepared (or as much as you can be with a child:love: )

Thanks!

Each airline is a bit different but a lap baby (under 2 usually) is free. However you must hold them on your lap the entire flight. The negatives to this are that in case of emergency (god forbid!), which can include crazy strong turbulance - you are instructed to put your child on the FLOOR between your feet. You are not allowed to hold them if there is an emergency.

Which is why a lot of people purchase a seat (full price) for the infant so they can sleep in their carseat/carrier for the trip AND they have a seat belt holding them in when things get dangerous.

So the short answer is no, there are not discounts for childrens seats - if they take up a seat it is full price. Children under 2 on most airlines can ride in your lap for free.

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that you were supposed to put your child on the floor during an emergency!! I don't think there is any way under the sun I could do that!!! I would totally have a kung foo grip on my child!!

We just purchased 3 tix from Southwest to Orlando in Sept, and my 5 yr old was full price and my 14 month old was free.

Still freaking out about the whole 'putting the baby on the floor' thing, I'd like to see someone try to get me to do that. :lmao:

Jennifer

We just purchased 3 tix from Southwest to Orlando in Sept, and my 5 yr old was full price and my 14 month old was free.

Just to be clear - your 14mo is free because she doesn't get a seat. Although if there are empty seats on the flight, you can often use one for a car seat for a lap child.

I have purchased discounted "infant" tickets from a couple of different airlines over the past few years (I think United and American). I don't recall how much of a discount I received... and, I don't know if these discounts are still being offered given the current environment. In both cases I had to handle these reservations over the phone (nothing appeared on the online reservation system). Definitely call the airline to check it out.

I've flown quite a bit with my little ones and found the internet a great source for the information I needed to "surviving" travel with a baby. Just do some searches (including on this forum) and you should find a lot of great advice!

If you purchase a seat for your under 2 yr old, some airlines (not a lot anymore) offer a child fare.

Southwest does. We just got an infant fare for our trip in Oct. You have to call to get it. You also have to show proof of age when you check in.

A lap baby is free..but it does not guarentee you will have a seat for your car seat. Most flights these days are booked solid so I wouldn't necessarily count on one either.

I've always purchased a seat so I'm guarenteed a spot for them to be in their car seat. I'm very disappointed in those airlines (delta) who discontinued their infant fares. (it used to be half price)

Last time I called SW about "infant" fares I almost broke out in laughter... Our tix cost 49$ each way.. "infant" fares were 2.5 times the price of that! So we just bought him a ticket at the ding price..

I have not heard of discount airline tickets to disney world. It seems like most years there is a promotion that kids fly free with an adult paying full fare to disneyland in california.

My girls are over 2 now, so I haven't had to buy fares for them for a while, but when I did, we flew United a couple of times, and got seats for them (under 2) for half price.

Not sure if any airlines are doing this anymore (sure wish they would so it would encourage more people to put their young children in car seats on the plane rather than hold on to them).

Was not able to buy those fairs online, had to call the airline directly.

As PP mentioned, we always found that the "cheap seats" through southwest are usually MUCH CHEAPER than their "infant fares" (which seem to be discounted off of the full fare price). So, we just bought our girls, at that age, the same tickets that we had (cheap deals or dings).

Even the airlines who do it don't always offer it on trips to Orlando - where half the plane is under 12.

On Airtran and NWA, if the child is 2+, it is the same price as an adult. This amounted to a whopping $275/person for our Dec. trip to ORL from Memphis. I was afraid to wait any longer due to the cost of things these days!!

Thanks so much for all of the information!

I knew about babies on the lap being free but I really was worried about not having him in his car seat. Now that I know about putting the baby on the floor in an emergency, I definitely want him in his safety seat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter