Flying and essential oils

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever flown with essential oils? I’m wondering if it is okay for me to take them in my carry-on, maybe even in my purse? I was just reading about the TSA lines at MCO and how they are making some take out food, magazines, electronics, etc from their carry-ons. I don’t want my oils to be a problem. I’m flying this Sunday and would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

Each container needs to 3.4 ounces or less, and they must go in a quart-sized clear plastic bag.

If they don't fit that requirement, you'll have to check them.

They are simply liquids.

Many people I know get away with a lot with their oils, carrying them in their purse or in a carrying case etc. That's not my style.

The bottles are often 5 to 15 ml. On a recent solo trip I was bringing some samples to a buddy so I decanted them into tiny dram bottles (even some for me since it was just a long weekend) and packed the baggie full with the liquids I needed. Those quart sized baggies can fit quite a bit!

Take a practice run or two and figure out the best way to put them in there.

Pictures of my recent baggie.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 38
They are simply liquids.

Many people I know get away with a lot with their oils, carrying them in their purse or in a carrying case etc. That's not my style.

The bottles are often 5 to 15 ml. On a recent solo trip I was bringing some samples to a buddy so I decanted them into tiny dram bottles (even some for me since it was just a long weekend) and packed the baggie full with the liquids I needed. Those quart sized baggies can fit quite a bit!

Take a practice run or two and figure out the best way to put them in there.

Pictures of my recent baggie.

Ah, Thieves toothpaste. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the pics.

It’s probably just her bad luck, but the past 4 times we’ve flown, my wife was always pulled aside for an extra check and swipe down of her bag. She travels with oils. Always carried in the appropriate size for air travel, too.

It’s a bit of a pain, but she always gets through and nothing gets confiscated. Just a hassle.

It’s probably just her bad luck, but the past 4 times we’ve flown, my wife was always pulled aside for an extra check and swipe down of her bag. She travels with oils. Always carried in the appropriate size for air travel, too.

It’s a bit of a pain, but she always gets through and nothing gets confiscated. Just a hassle.

I got delayed round trip because I had powdered supplements with me. Second time was on me bc I should have pulled them out of my bag after the first time.

Then again I've also been delayed because of a non iPod MP3 player and another time bc of a small pack of aaa batteries.

That stinks, but I’m glad, in the end, she made it through without problems. I’m flying today and have all my oils in a quart-size bag tucked in my purse. I’ll have to report back how it goes.

That stinks, but I’m glad, in the end, she made it through without problems. I’m flying today and have all my oils in a quart-size bag tucked in my purse. I’ll have to report back how it goes.

If the oils are left in a purse and the bag not placed in a bin, then you are asking for further scrutiny.

OP here. I had no problem at security today with my essential oils. I put my quart-size bag in the bin at security. The agent did inspect the bag (smelled it, took two out) and then let me on my way. Thanks for the help.

My wife does have precheck, so that adds more to the frustration when she gets pulled aside.

Oh I had precheck when they tested (and looked at, the second time) the oowdered supplements. Second time things got pretty testy at the sjc precheck line. They had 5 of us pulled aside from that line with 6 Tsa agents staring at the screens while our bags were unattended... and that was over someone with a corkscrew with a tiny blade.

Has anyone ever flown with essential oils? I’m wondering if it is okay for me to take them in my carry-on, maybe even in my purse? I was just reading about the TSA lines at MCO and how they are making some take out food, magazines, electronics, etc from their carry-ons. I don’t want my oils to be a problem. I’m flying this Sunday and would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

I put them in my quart size ziploc bag in my carryon, but really, the last few times I've flown (BDL to MCO and back) they have not even been having people take out the quart bag to put it in the bin separately. As long as you have the small size bottles below 2 oz. or whatever size TSA mandates, you shouldn't have any more of an issue with your essential oils than with your shampoo, etc.

As long as you have the small size bottles below 2 oz. or whatever size TSA mandates, you shouldn't have any more of an issue with your essential oils than with your shampoo, etc.

:)

max is 3.4oz = 100ml

Even my big rollerbottles for my own blends are 15ml.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter