Fly or drive with a 1 month old

Leleluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Happy new year everyone!!!! Christmas came a little early to us this year with our little princess being born on December 23rd!!! We are planning a trip to see family in Florida during my maternity leave, but are torn on flying versus driving. Normally budget is the biggest factor, but it is the same cost the fly versus drive. For anyone who has travelled with a one month old, what would you or have you done? If we drive, it is 16 hours of just driving time. TIA!!

My ds was a little over 2 months, so not as young as yours, but we did both a longer flight (5 hours) and a long roadtrip (15+ hours) around that age, and definitely would choose flying over driving.

If you are vaccinating I would wait till she has her first round of shots. Mostly because the germs on planes are a little insane. I flew with my DD at 3 months and had no issues, they even allowed me to keep her in her carrier through security.

Personally 16 hours in a car with a baby would be worse for me, stopping to fed or to change diapers I would be miserable. It might end up being closer to 20 hours....

I thought a baby had to be 6 weeks old to fly? Could be an outdated recommendation. If the option to fly is available I would rather that. Your drive will likely be MUCH longer than 16 hours since you would need to stop frequently to feed and change the baby. But you do have to be careful on the plane as well because babies don't get their first shots (other than Hep B) until 2 months old. I'd really talk this over with your pediatrician actually.

Definitely fly. You can nurse or bottle feed on demand, and hold your baby. Flying is so easy with a newborn! Just make sure to bring a comfy sling.

I'd have people come visit me. Your body needs to rest, and travel is stressful. The ladies who don't take it easy after giving birth, even if they feel fine, are generally the ones who end up needing surgery later in life because important parts have slipped out of place. Pair that with the winter germs on a plane or a long car trip, and there's just no good option.

I'd have people come visit me. Your body needs to rest, and travel is stressful. The ladies who don't take it easy after giving birth, even if they feel fine, are generally the ones who end up needing surgery later in life because important parts have slipped out of place.....

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously?

OP - fly!

If possible, I'd fly. We never traveled with a 1 month old, but my younger DS was 4 months old when we flew to California from NY (6 hour flight) and then drove to Brian Head, Utah (16+ hour drive). Yes, I think we were crazy - we survived it, but the long drive was insane. The flying was DEFINITELY easier than the driving. You can hold them, nurse/bottle feed them, change diapers, etc. on a flight. When driving, you have to stop a lot to feed the baby and there can be (will be) a lot of crying as 16 hours is a LONG time for a baby to be in an infant seat.

A newborn eats a lot...I would fly just because it's easier. We've drove from NY 3 times and it's horrible, never again, lol. A 16 hour drive is a long way, especially with a newborn. We flew when our 3 year old was 4 months old and he nursed quite a bit. I can't imagine having to stop the car every time, lol. And he didn't receive his first vaccine until a couple months ago and has survived many vacations, lol. But if that's a worry for you then maybe driving is a better option due to all those "pesky germs". Good luck deciding oh and congrats!

We relocated to Virginia with an 8 week old and totally knew I did NOT want to drive with am infant that young. But she was my 4th and I knew of possible issues and that a peaceful ride was not a guarantee. Plus frequent stops for feedings would have greatly impeded our progress. And I was the sole adult traveling.

How close might you be to Lorton?

We took the auto train and it was so easy. We has an hour or less drive on either end which was completely managable with a newborn. We did get a sleeper family room. But if you can manage in the regular seats, it may save over the airfare and you would still have your car at your destination.

Otherwise, I would suggest flying over driving for logistics. Even with a perfect baby--that drive is going to be a challenge.

I would drive just because its the middle of Flu and RVS season and I would not want a new baby on a plane with all those germs. It would be easier and quicker to drive, maybe not safer. Ask your little ones doctor.

I would drive just because its the middle of Flu and RVS season and I would not want a new baby on a plane with all those germs. It would be easier and quicker to drive, maybe not safer. Ask your little ones doctor.

I'd risk germ exposure over the risks of driving 16 hours, especially in the winter. The baby will be exposed to plenty of germs visiting family!

Thanks everyone!! We talked with our pediatrician, and found it is basically up to us. He said if it were him, he would fly, and he has flown with his kids that young before. I guess the biggest thing now is to see if it is still the same price to fly as drive since gas has come down, and it has gotten closer to our travel dates.

fly! and I would wear baby as then you have hands free for other carrying and baby is shielded close to you - seems safer with the germs thing. I flew with mine at 6 weeks using ergo carrier with infant insert. It was the easiest experience of all the times I flew with her.

I drove 6 hours with a 1 month old baby and it was hellish ( maybe easier if the baby is being bottle fed ). I would definitely fly. Flew with my son when he was 3 months old and it was a breeze (lugging all the equipment and suh was a hassle but the flight itself was easier for me than flying with him when he was 2).

One more question... Can we gate check an infant seat and stroller, or just one or the other? The website seems to indicate one or the other, but it seems like I've seen people do both.

You should be able to gate check both. I have done it on Southwest and maybe on Delta.

I took a 2-hour flight with a four week old (we were moving). It was okay. We bought the baby their own seat and brought the car seat. It gives you more room to spread out, and place for baby to nap. Also it can give you more buffer from coughing neighbors. And if there is turbulence, it is safer for baby to be strapped in.

You should be able to gate check both. I have done it on Southwest and maybe on Delta.

Thanks! We are flying us air. We ended up sending the stroller with my parents today. I'm going to wear her through the airport and the stroller would be one less thing to hassle with.

I took a 2-hour flight with a four week old (we were moving). It was okay. We bought the baby their own seat and brought the car seat. It gives you more room to spread out, and place for baby to nap. Also it can give you more buffer from coughing neighbors. And if there is turbulence, it is safer for baby to be strapped in.

Thanks!! We are going to hold her mainly bc the longest of the 2 trips is 2 hours, and their are only 2 seats on either side of the plane so dh and I would have to split the isle. We'd rather sit together than next to another's germs.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter