Fly or Drive? I'm so confused!

flexsmom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I'm just back from a quick 4-night trip with DD to WDW with DD5. We live in the Washington DC area and flew Southwest from Baltimore to MCO - only a 2 hour trip in the air and very inexpensive. We're booked on the 4 Dec Western - all 4 of us this time with DS who will be 20 months, and are planning 5 more nights at BCV after the cruise. Until today I was planning on driving so we would have more freedom in packing summer clothes for the cruise and leaving a few warmer clothes for December evenings at WDW in the truck, plus the DVD player in the back would keep the kids busy. Now I'm wondering if the logistical pain of moving suitcases for the 4 of us on each end would make is worth the frustration of flying - 14 hours or 6 hours door-to-door. What do you think? We could probably get free tickets, too, with frequent flyer miles, if that makes a difference in your opinion.

Please, help me?!

We always drive to FL to see family & the additional drive to the port is just not a question for us. It takes us 10-11 hours from Eastern NC. I have read too many stories of problems with flights getting where they need to on time to take a chance. In our case we would need to take a flight to Charlotte & connect to get to FL. The one time DH & I flew to JAX and drove the 2+ hours to Raleigh for a direct flight, it still took us 9 hours to get from our door to theirs.

There is no doubt in my mind -- FLY! The time savings alone will make up for any 'pain' in the packing and moving of suitcases. I can never figure out how people think that driving 14 hours is better than flying in 5 (elapsed time!). I hate sitting in a car when I can be sitting at the pool enjoying my vacation time.

I live in Atlanta and I still fly everywhere. I wish I had the Southwest option -- those airfares are SO hard to beat. What a great deal.

Go for the flight, leave the same time you would if you drive, and enjoy a ton of extra time relaxing at the pool before it is time to board the Magic.

DRIVE..I have driven from Michigan the last three years in a row..20 hour drive..no big deal..I like to drive during the middle of the night..less traffic...I never have to worry about buying to many souveniers..I have room for everything I want to bring..and then some...I can come and go as I please...just stock up on DVD's..ask friends to borrow movies the kids have not seen...I enjoy the scenery...and really only 6 hours? when you are suppose to be there 2 hours early? No stress over what to bring and what not to...bring it all. No waiting around for a late plane and worrying...did you also account for the wait for the cab/limo..waiting for Luggage? and last I checked..I have never lost a piece of luggage Driving..lol..

Hi Flexmom....we live in Centreville and are driving down for the 4th of July. It is not that bad of a drive. We like having the option to go other places while we are there. Going down we will stop at the last exit in Georgia to spend the night and the next day we only have about 3 hrs drive to WDW.

Thanks for the opinions....anyone else? Fly or drive.....(with two young kids!?!) I'm making a pro/con list for DH.....I'd rather make it HIS choice so I don't have to hear about it later!

How about the Auto Train? It is longer than the flight but it leaves Lorton VA at 4pm and you arrive in Saford Fl at 8am...that way you can still have some freedom

We are trying it this year for the first time. Should be an experience!

My DH and I drove last year with a 5 year old (well, almost 5 year old) and it was an 18 hour trip...We live in Texas :) Next year we are going to drive again, because to us it is nice not to have a suitcase limit (I tend to overpack).
My vote is for driving for many reasons, personally I like the drive, very senic (although long), plus I am very claustrophobic so when I go on a plane I have to have tons of dramamine and to me, that's not fun (especially when you have kids! :earseek: )

We drive from Toronto -- it's 24 hours. For us it's no choice b/c it's way too expensive to fly! We prefer to drive anyway because of the freedom to pack what we want. We usually stay at WDW after the cruise and this means that we leave some stuff in the car. It also allows us to bring water/pop, snacks onboard with us.

I've driven long distances with my DS since he was a baby (he's almost 18 now) so he was totally used to long car rides. I think your approach to the drive has an impact on how your kids will react.

DRIVE - I am from Centreville VA too. We drive 2-4 times a year to cruise and go to Orlando (we are Disney nuts!). We used to do it before TV's in the cars...but now it is so simple with the TV thing. I always looked at it from a "MOM" perspective...I want to teach my children that not everything in this world is instant......today's kids are used to everything right now(internet, fast food, instant messaging, etc).....you know.....Patience is the key word I tell them. They beg me to fly and I say ... well we don't need to go.....and of course, we have wonderful family time driving :crazy: :crazy:

My kids are now 14, 10, and 6...but we have driven since they were all real little....now it is no big deal to them.

Hope this helps....where in VA are you from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter