• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fly in 1 day early or not...that is the question...

OK--- here's another scenario for you..

How many of you have requested DCL to change your flight to the day before? You can request a flight change online--

has anyone used this and did DCL book you a hotel... did you still get to use the DCL transport to the port?

So many questions... so little time... :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Go a day early - I've done both, which were booked by DCL.

Flying out the day of embarkment: Left Newark airport at 7:00 am (meant getting there by 5:00 am - leaving house at 4:00 am - getting up at 3:00 am and finished packing at 11:00 pm). As we left Newark airport - it began to snow and finished 26" later (got lucky - wouldn't you say)! In addition, that meant getting my 4 year old twins up at 3:30, which lead to a trip of cranky, overly tired children.

Flying out the day before embarkment: Left Newark airport at 8:00 am (meant getting there by 6:00 am...) Stayed at the airport Hyatt (bravo!) Upon landing in Orlando - kids got to swim - go shopping at all the stores in airport - had a nice dinner AND DCL meets you downstairs in the morning and gets you to the terminal bright and early on cruise day! Best money I ever spent on the cruise

WOW-- talk about getting your questions answered before you knew you had them... this one posted at the same time I posted these questions!!

I have no problem paying DCL for the little extras they provide. If there is a mix up or problem - then I can always say well - you booked it for me - I did not do it on my own!

Of course - If you stay at the Hyatt at the airport - you put all you luggage outside your room by 7:30 or 8:00 am the day of embarkment and next time you see it will be in your stateroom!
Off Topic. . . Where did you get your cruise countdown? I like the Mickey clock. Just curious. Thanks! - Jennifer

You actually asked 2 different questions:

1. Should we fly the day before - YES YES YES - you never know when weather, blown connections, mechanical problems will delay you. Flying the day before takes all that pressure off - plus you get a chance to get to the port earier and get on the ship much sooner.

2. Should we use Disney for air planning - The only advantage of using DCL for air is that if there is a problem and you miss the ship they should be more of a help (but you can't prove that by me from our experience - thank god we were flying a day early). Currently Disney still tries to deal with Delta - so if you have a connection it is through the black hole of Atlanta. Also, to save money they will book you on a connection even if perfectly good Delta non-stops are available because Delta gives them a price break. You only get your flights at best a month before the cruise, so you have little seat selection available, you are at DCL's/Delta's mercy about choice of flights unless you pay a premium and with all of the levels of buerocracy involved between DCL, Disney and the airline you will not get the lowest available airfare.

But once you get there! Heaven is being on a DCL ship

OK - I just spoke to a customer rep. from DCL. I tried to get them to fly us out the day before but was unsuccessful. She put me on hold to check availability of flights and there were none - there was a waiting list. Since it's only 31 days until we set sail she said in order to change plans at this point it would be $100 per person - not worth it. So IMO - if you want to fly in the day before make sure you make arrangements with them in plenty of time (that is if you are using them for your transportation). I asked her what the liklihood is of someone missing the boat due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays and misplaced luggage. She said it is very rare. She said if that *were* to happen, since we booked everything through them they are responsible for us - therefore if for some reason our flight was delayed they would contact the ship directly and instead of flying us to the Florida port they would fly us to a port in the Bahamas so we could board the ship there. I have no idea if this is true - but that is what she said...
I hope this makes sense - it been a long day!

Currently Disney still tries to deal with Delta - so if you have a connection it is through the black hole of Atlanta. Also, to save money they will book you on a connection even if perfectly good Delta non-stops are available because Delta gives them a price break. You only get your flights at best a month before the cruise, so you have little seat selection available, you are at DCL's/Delta's mercy about choice of flights unless you pay a premium and with all of the levels of buerocracy involved between DCL, Disney and the airline you will not get the lowest available airfare.

Off Topic - But do you know if Disney signs a contract with particular airlines for a year or so? Last year everything was with Continental direct to Orlando from Newark (was so much nicer not having to change planes!)?

OK - I just spoke to a customer rep. from DCL. I tried to get them to fly us out the day before but was unsuccessful. She put me on hold to check availability of flights and there were none - there was a waiting list. Since it's only 31 days until we set sail she said in order to change plans at this point it would be $100 per person - not worth it. So IMO - if you want to fly in the day before make sure you make arrangements with them in plenty of time (that is if you are using them for your transportation). I asked her what the liklihood is of someone missing the boat due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays and misplaced luggage. She said it is very rare. She said if that *were* to happen, since we booked everything through them they are responsible for us - therefore if for some reason our flight was delayed they would contact the ship directly and instead of flying us to the Florida port they would fly us to a port in the Bahamas so we could board the ship there. I have no idea if this is true - but that is what she said...
I hope this makes sense - it been a long day!

Don't sweat it - you will learn a lot with this trip and know so much more for your next cruise (Oh yes you will be back!)! Have a great time!

I would fly the day before. We just got off of the ship and some people I was talking with at the pool never even got luggage. One couples luggage was shipped to Nassau and they had to pay to have it sent to the ship. I could never take that chance.

:hippie:

If you look around on discount websites you should be able to find a hotel for less than $100. Well worth the insurance for a $$$$ cruise.

Also, there is a difference between the "accommodations" DCL will provide and the need for trip insurance.

I always buy trip insurance for a cruise because the money is non-refundable while, since I stay in Marriotts on land, I have up to that day to cancel my reservation at no charge.:thumbsup2

Fly in the day before. My guess is, the money you save booking the flight on your own will save you enough money to pay for a hotel. I went to the Disney site and checked out a cruise without and with flight added and it was a lot more expensive having Disney doing it. And we did buy trip insurance when we booked. I believe it is included when you have Disney purchase your flight (not 100% sure on that however).

yikes - now I am having my doubts...We are cruising April 22nd flying from Texas to Florida. ...QUOTE]

Don't worry. End of April is probably the least likely time that flights would be cancelled-- no blizzards, no hurricanes. Even if your flight was delayed a little because of a thunderstorm (highly unlikely too), Disney would hold the boat since you booked your flight through them.

Here's another vote for flying in the day before. Way too many things can happen that could completely mess up your trip.

On our upcoming April cruise, we're actually fly in 2 days early and spending the day before the cruise just hanging out at the pool and getting into "vacation mode".

Get in a day early. We booked our own flights a day early and had no problems. Some folks on our cruise who booked through DCL for airfare got caught in an ice storm in Grand Rapids the next day and could not get to Orlando in time to make the ship. Disney did get them on board at the next port.

My only problem with flying out the day before is that I do not want to pull the kids out of school Friday so we will have to be flying late.
BUT, I would rather do because last year we flew in the day of our cruise and we were all just so exhausted from being up at 5 am that we could not enjoy the day that much.

I asked her what the liklihood is of someone missing the boat due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays and misplaced luggage. She said it is very rare. She said if that *were* to happen, since we booked everything through them they are responsible for us - therefore if for some reason our flight was delayed they would contact the ship directly and instead of flying us to the Florida port they would fly us to a port in the Bahamas so we could board the ship there
Wow... bad idea to miss the departure and be flown to the next port...

I paid for 7 nights on a ship and I'm gonna get 'em!! I think it would absolutely ruin a trip for that to happen! :mad:

I believe... we will be going in the night before. We have booked the whole trip through AAA and they have been very helpful when I have made changes or asked questions. I am making a phone call today to give our TA plenty of time to get things rolling. :thumbsup2

yikes - now I am having my doubts...We are cruising April 22nd flying from Texas to Florida. ...QUOTE]

Don't worry. End of April is probably the least likely time that flights would be cancelled-- no blizzards, no hurricanes. Even if your flight was delayed a little because of a thunderstorm (highly unlikely too), Disney would hold the boat since you booked your flight through them.

Ok...For anyone who is coming up and CAN NOT switch to the day before..I would just go through with what is already done. Learn for the next time, but please DON"T think they will hold the boat just because you booked your flight through them..They may delay a little bit, but come on, they have an itinerary to follow and MANY other passengers waiting. Which equals big dollars. If your flight is more than a few hours late, forget them waiting.. Do you honestly think they will change the itinerary because YOU booked through them, and are late? Think again..THey will fly you in to the next POSSIBLE port of call. I say possible, because it MUST be a NON us port. IF you are doing the Western, you can NOT do this in Key West. You may very well miss a major part of your cruise...

If for some reason you cannot arrive the day before- don't panic. We have never arrived the day before for any cruise and have never had a problem.
We even flew from Dallas to Puerto Rico the morning of the cruise and had absolutely no problem. We also flew from Dallas to Vancouver the morning of the cruise and changed planes and it was not an issue.
In Aug of '08 we will not be able to go the day before either and I am not worried about it.

I went on a cruise in January where one of the people going booked her flight through DCL. She didn't even GET to the cruise until after 3 p.m. so she missed the fun of being announced and having lunch. She felt very rushed.

I live near the port, but if I didn't - I'd book my own flight and go the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter