Flu Shots

Shot or no shot right before trip ....

• I would give them the flu shot now.

• I would wait until after the trip.

• I don't believe in flu shots at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Debbie6221

<font color=hotpink>I do believe hangers are again
My kids have their yearly doctors appointment tomorrow and I am trying to decide whether or not to pass on the flu shots until after we return from our trip. I am a HUGE worrywart and can't help but be afraid they will get sick from it even though all evidence points toward this being a myth. Our trip is in a couple of weeks. I would just like your thoughts and experiences to ease my mind.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I think CDC says that flu shots do NOT give you the flu but can give you "flu-like symptoms". Well, to me that's the same darn thing. It's like, no I don't have the flu but I have the symptoms? :confused3 As for myself, I don't get any symptoms from a flu shot but I know plenty of folks who get chills, fever, muscle aches, runny nose from the shots. BTW the symptoms from the shot only last a day or two, the flu can last for a week or more.

Our trip is coming up in 3 weeks, and I wanted to make sure we did all have our shots before Disney. My kids(4, and almost 2) had their flu shot Sat, and have been perfectly fine. They have had one every year, and never got sick. DH and I will be getting ours next week. I know some people say you get sick from the shot, but that has never been our experience. Personally, I wouldn't want to go through the flu season without one.

As I understand it you can get some symptoms if you are already sick with a cold. I have never ever had any effects from a flu shot, and neither have my kids or husband and we get it every year. My husband in immunocompromised and almost always has a cold and the flu shot never seems to bother him. I always want shots before we travel. I figure we are more likely to come into contact with many people and thus more likely to come in contact with the flu.

I would definitely do it now so that they have some protection while on your trip. My kids and I got ours on Saturday because we're leaving for DL on 11/3 and I wanted to give the shot some time to work.

You cannot get the flu from the vaccine. It is not a live vaccine so therefore you can't get sick from it.

Thanks for your opinions so far. I am leaning towards getting them. My DD is going to flip out when she realizes she is getting a shot but that's life right? It's going to even be worse when we go to get her 5 year old immunizations because I think that's like 3 shots! Oh boy! I will have to come up with a massive bribe!!!

I don't think there has been any flu activity yet and there probably won't be during or after your trip...The warm weather which enables us all to keep our windows open will slow it down..You can check the CDC site.

You cannot get the flu from the vaccine. It is not a live vaccine so therefore you can't get sick from it.

I'd just like to clarify here. Not all flu vaccine is dead, the "flumist" that is sprayed up the nose is a live vaccine. And yes, you can pass the flu to others if you've rec'd the live vaccine. You cannot get the flu from either a live or dead vaccine but you CAN get flu-like symptoms. headache, muscle aches, fever, runny nose, etc. In other words you can get "sick" but you can't get the actual flu. Is that any clearer?

I'd just like to clarify here. Not all flu vaccine is dead, the "flumist" that is sprayed up the nose is a live vaccine. And yes, you can pass the flu to others if you've rec'd the live vaccine. You cannot get the flu from either a live or dead vaccine but you CAN get flu-like symptoms. headache, muscle aches, fever, runny nose, etc. In other words you can get "sick" but you can't get the actual flu. Is that any clearer?

Which I think it horrible. A conscientious person gets the flu-mist, unknowingly goes to work, infects all the unvaccinated people and those in their homes, schools etc...

Which I think it horrible. A conscientious person gets the flu-mist, unknowingly goes to work, infects all the unvaccinated people and those in their homes, schools etc...

I don't think it's quite that easy. Last year, several hundred government workers in the building I work in received FluMist--that's what that agency used last year, they didn't use shots. It did not cause a widespread outbreak of the flu in the unvaccinated population.

You have to be very careful with using FluMist if you work with sick people. I think you have to stay away from them for 3 days. I believe that hospital workers who work with very ill or elderly folks do not get the FluMist.

I don't think it's quite that easy. Last year, several hundred government workers in the building I work in received FluMist--that's what that agency used last year, they didn't use shots. It did not cause a widespread outbreak of the flu in the unvaccinated population.

You have to be very careful with using FluMist if you work with sick people. I think you have to stay away from them for 3 days. I believe that hospital workers who work with very ill or elderly folks do not get the FluMist.

There's the thing. There are many many people walking around who are receiving chemo, have HIV, organ transplantation etc..They look fine. Then these same people get in the elevator with them, a crowded room, etc...I think it is very risky. Much like the recent issue with the live polio vaccine. There was an outbreak among sanitation workers etc because the live oral virus was present in feces. That's why shots are used again. I am not sure if oral live virus is used at all anymore. Anyone know?

I posted to wait until after your trip, but then I realized it'll be a few weeks before you go. So I say do it now. Any tenderness in the shot area will be gone by then, and you can enjoy your vacation without worrying about picking up the flu from any of the thousands of people at WDW.

The flu shot takes 6 weeks to become fully effective. Give it to them now and they will have the best protection when the flu season hits.

BTW I got my annual flu shot on October 13. Not side effects what so ever.

We did ours last week and we leave in 15 days! We do them every year and I think having them before you get on a plane and the kids are touching everything at Disney it is a good idea! I don't obsess about germs but we always do the flu shots. Why not, if it can prevent a serious illness? We did have a sore spot for about 24 hours after the shot, but have never gotten sick from it. Although I suspect sitting in the doctors office waiting for the shot could get you sick! :rotfl: :rotfl: Have fun on your trip!

I'm getting mine tomorrow, never had a problem. There have been some cases reported in my area already.

I voted for getting them now. For the same reasons the other posters have said. I am getting mine tomorrow and my kids had theirs two weeks ago. The sooner the better IMO.

Yes, you're right, but I believe the OP was talking about the shot, which is what I was replying too. You can get those 'flu-like symptoms' described above from any vaccination, not just the flu shot, but they rarely last more than a couple of days.

OP, my daughter was less than pleased to get her flu shot Saturday. It took me, my husband, and the nurse to hold her down. :rolleyes: Once she got her sticker she got over it pretty fast though.;)

My DD is going to go ballistic. I feel really bad for her! I am going to do it though. The trip is two weeks out so even if they feel crumby from it they will have time to recoup. Thanks everyone.

My kids have their yearly doctors appointment tomorrow and I am trying to decide whether or not to pass on the flu shots until after we return from our trip. I am a HUGE worrywart and can't help but be afraid they will get sick from it even though all evidence points toward this being a myth. Our trip is in a couple of weeks. I would just like your thoughts and experiences to ease my mind.

I actually work for a medical clinic and am working the flu shot clinics now Do it, though the flu season doesn't start yet, but do it! Just to be safe! though I see you probably already did :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter