Flu Shot

Just got back for myself and the kids. It hurt immediately for all of us. The pharmacist said it is “way different” than the Covid Vax and previous flu shots as far as sensation going in and pain. Will be going back in three ish weeks for my booster.

That could be a factor, but it's not the only factor. You can look this up at various sources on your own, but in layman's terms: when you get the vaccine your body recognizes the invader and sends several things to the site to (1) investigate it and (2) start to an initial fight against it (which it will refine as it learns more). This immune response can cause inflammation, and thus arm soreness. Also, this article points out that the arm muscle could be sore just simply from the small trauma of having the needle separate muscle fibers on a very small scale.

This article is specifically about the COVID vaccine, but the concept is similar for many vaccines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wc...-fix/275-0a93e514-e922-4861-8d7a-0675fd83761b
Yup 100% I just seen ppl say the shot itself hurt or alot of bruising and that's from how they got the shot is all. Alot of flu shot pictures show the shot being given really high or in the wrong spot of the arm where it can hurt more.

Yup 100% I just seen ppl say the shot itself hurt or alot of bruising and that's from how they got the shot is all. Alot of flu shot pictures show the shot being given really high or in the wrong spot of the arm where it can hurt more.
I think more than the area of the arm, is whether the bevel of the needle is up. If it’s up, it goes in pretty smoothly - usually.

All 3 of us got it with no issues other than a mildly sore arm for me and leg for DD (they still give them in the thigh at her age at her pediatrician). Husband got COVID booster at the same time and he was tired and had a really sore arm the next day but that was it.

I got my flu shot last week. It was the least discomfort I’ve ever had—not even uncomfortable to sleep on that side. Leave the Motrin on the shelf.

I got mine- no issues, zero pain or soreness, no symptoms. My husband said his arm hurt later and into the next day. We got ours at the same place by the same administrator ome after the other.

I think my secret is this, which I learned after my second Covid shot: to avoid tensing, I just let my arm kind of hang. I don’t hold it at all, I don’t even rest in on my chair. It’s dead wait. And that’s how I get the shot. Then, I make sure that I’m regularly stretching and raising my arm, working it around so that it never gets stiff. I don’t baby it at all. Seems to work for me.

I had a very slight fever for a couple of hours and felt really tired. So far aside from a sore arm I’m right as rain this morning. Kids just had sore arms.

edit: I take that back. Both DD and I are feeling feverish “yucky.” Makes you a little paranoid but logically I know it’s the shot making us feel this way.

Last edited:
Whole family is done! DD got her Flu shot Sunday without any side effects at all. My arm didn't hurt but it ended up a bit red with a bump that's gone now.

Just realized I am now on year 22 with Flu shots, started as soon as my premie was born.

Got mine yesterday evening. Arm was moderately sore that night, but no real issues. Was fine by this morning.

Got my flu shot yesterday at the doctor’s office. It’s been 24 hours and I feel fine. I get a flu shot every year and they’ve never been painful. This one hurt going in and it took her awhile to finish. The nurse must have done something different.

Got mine yesterday at the in-house clinic my workplace runs every year. I'm not sure if our vaccine here (western Canada) was developed for the same strains as the one you are getting in the States. The shot itself was practically painless but the stiff and painful arm kicked in very quickly and it's still ouchy to touch this morning. No other side effects though - way, way easier than my Moderna vaccines.

When do they recommend getting flu shot by?

Oct 31...or as soon as possible...

You kinda want it 2 weeks before you might be in any outbreak area...just like the Covid vax, that's how long it takes to get "full effect".

Of course, this year, it's been really warm on the east coast which will probably delay flu season, so getting it before Thanksgiving will probably still be an okay time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter