Flu shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son was hospitalized for a week with a bad flu a few years ago so now my family ALWAYS get the flu shot (except for my daughter because she has bad a bad reaction to them). This year I did get a very mild flu shortly after getting the shot but I know that was just bum luck and not because of the shot. Just that mild bout was enough to make me certain I want to try to avoid the big, bad flu! I think the week before my family cruises I might quarantine them to make sure we don't get sick! :rotfl: (Ok, not really but I do always worry about illness right before a vacation.)

Of course people that have normal immune systems and aren't in a high risk population can get the flu and have it feel like a bad cold. So then you end up spreading it to others without even knowing you have it. So getting the flu shot not only can protect you, but everyone else you contact as well.

Hope the ones that are against the yearly flu shots never have a child or grandchild with Cystic Fibrosis, or any other type of genetic disorder that require yearly flu vaccine but if so then they would fully understand how important and true your statement really is!!!

Hope the ones that are against the yearly flu shots never have a child or grandchild with Cystic Fibrosis, or any other type of genetic disorder that require yearly flu vaccine but if so then they would fully understand how important and true your statement really is!!!

::yes::

I usually don't get into any of this stuff on these boards but I find that I just can't keep silent on this stuff or any other vaccination stuff. It drives me nuts that people are so ignorant about vaccines and their purpose for the general community. They don't get that when they don't vaccinate their kids that that's why illnesses like whooping cough are making a mean resurgence when they were virtually almost wiped out. Gosh! It just makes me so angry. I'm not a health care provider, someone who works in the medical community or related to anyone that is. I just keep myself educated and do my research. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule where some people may have reactions. However, when we talk about the possibility of death here, I'll take a bad reaction over that any day.

smile750 said:

I usually don't get into any of this stuff on these boards but I find that I just can't keep silent on this stuff or any other vaccination stuff. It drives me nuts that people are so ignorant about vaccines and their purpose for the general community. They don't get that when they don't vaccinate their kids that that's why illnesses like whooping cough are making a mean resurgence when they were virtually almost wiped out. Gosh! It just makes me so angry. I'm not a health care provider, someone who works in the medical community or related to anyone that is. I just keep myself educated and do my research. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule where some people may have reactions. However, when we talk about the possibility of death here, I'll take a bad reaction over that any day.

I couldn't have said it better.

I think it may be splitting hairs, but I do know with any vaccine (and with a very small number of people) there is a possibility that your body may react to the invasion of the vaccine into your body, often dependent on the shape of your immune system at the time of the vaccine and that reaction can create a wide range of symptoms - but is technically not giving you the flu. Then, when your body is weak, fighting whatever reaction you are experiencing, you may pick up something else going around a bit more easily.

Well said :thumbsup2

One more thing, Get a can of lysol and spray the rental house down really good.
Especially the door knobs, light switches and TV remotes.

I don't blame you for wanting to grab them and run!!!!

Absolutely a must for all of our trips! :thumbsup2

Elderberry syrup is a really good way to help prevent and fight off influenza. Studies have shown it to be as effective at tamiflu. I take 1 teaspoon 4x a day when I start to feel run down. When we cruise next January I plan to have the whole family take it for a few days before and the duration of our cruise as a preventative.

Thanks for that, I had no idea about that...I will use that for sure next time (hopefully, not anytime soon!) :goodvibes

While we can't escape being sick ever, I agree...knowledge is power. Well said. ;)

lorimay said:
One more thing, Get a can of lysol and spray the rental house down really good.
Especially the door knobs, light switches and TV remotes.

I don't blame you for wanting to grab them and run!!!!

Hi I am from the UK. This sounds like good advice. What is lysol please ( perhaps an antibacterial agent? ) and where can I get some when we arrive in Disney. We have a rental car so can get to walmart etc? Thanks.

Hi I am from the UK. This sounds like good advice. What is lysol please ( perhaps an antibacterial agent? ) and where can I get some when we arrive in Disney. We have a rental car so can get to walmart etc? Thanks.

Yes, it's an anti-bacterial spray. WalMart should have it with the cleaning supplies.

lorimay said:
I have never gotten a flu shot before but with the severity of the flu this season I am going today.
We leave 2 weeks from today for a four night out of Miami and I am freaking out that we are going to get sick before or worse during the cruise.
Of course this is the first cruise we haven't purchased trip insurance.

Anyone else feeling nervous?

If you're nervous call your travel agent

lorimay said:
I have never gotten a flu shot before but with the severity of the flu this season I am going today.
We leave 2 weeks from today for a four night out of Miami and I am freaking out that we are going to get sick before or worse during the cruise.
Of course this is the first cruise we haven't purchased trip insurance.

Anyone else feeling nervous?

If you're nervous, look into Buying Travel Guard insurance. Very affordable and great coverage. Buy online or through a travel agent

Travel Insurance is a very good idea.

Here is a cut and paste from the CDC on the flu shot side effects.

Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.
The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:
•Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
•Fever (low grade)
•Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions

The shot does not cause you to get the flu. Period.

Read this (it's actually a FACT :) - something that many "news" organizations seem to stretch from time to time): http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-flu.pdf

Doesn't matter. Enough people had severe enough illness after getting the shot to keep this 'myth' going. I do not trust the government enough to allow them to inject me with a virus - even a dead virus. Every vaccine is different and the effects (side effects) from person to person varies.

Rogillio said:
Doesn't matter. Enough people had severe enough illness after getting the shot to keep this 'myth' going. I do not trust the government enough to allow them to inject me with a virus - even a dead virus. Every vaccine is different and the effects (side effects) from person to person varies.

I am right there with ya. When has the government ever been truthful about anything? But that is another thread

Travel Insurance is a very good idea.

Here is a cut and paste from the CDC on the flu shot side effects.

Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.
The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:
•Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
•Fever (low grade)
•Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions

Sounds like a crap shoot.....but I guess allergic or serious problems is possible with any drug.

Telling someone else that they should or should not get a shot is like telling someone to use birth control or take vitamins or loose weight or quit smoking. We are all adults and make our own decisions in life.

I will never get a flu shot. The reasons why are numerous. I also don't take cough syrup, antihistamines, decongestants...or many other drugs that fight the body's immune system.

Think about this. The optimal temp for viruses to multiply is 98.6. Even a degree or two higher and it inhibits their ability to multiply. So we get a fever and what isthmus first thing many of us do? Take aspirin to reduce the fever. Makes no sense.

Sounds like a crap shoot.....but I guess allergic or serious problems is possible with any drug.

Telling someone else that they should or should not get a shot is like telling someone to use birth control or take vitamins or loose weight or quit smoking. We are all adults and make our own decisions in life.

I will never get a flu shot. The reasons why are numerous. I also don't take cough syrup, antihistamines, decongestants...or many other drugs that fight the body's immune system.

Think about this. The optimal temp for viruses to multiply is 98.6. Even a degree or two higher and it inhibits their ability to multiply. So we get a fever and what isthmus first thing many of us do? Take aspirin to reduce the fever. Makes no sense.

Just say what you really mean, it is obvious... The world revolves around me & my family. I could careless whether or not if i pass my flu viruses onto someone with a compromised immune system

Just say what you really mean, it is obvious... The world revolves around me & my family. I could careless whether or not if i pass my flu viruses onto someone with a compromised immune system

Very obnoxious, rude and presumptive. I think you men I 'couldn't care less' not that I could care less. Please try to get your baseless accusations right.

I know this will fall on deaf ears but I believe God designed our bodies and set up the laws of nature for a reason. I trust my immune system the way God designed it. If you think your mission in life is to improve on God's providence then put you faith in government. If you want to risk your children's lives to protect the herd, you go right head. And when a bad batch of vaccination comes thru (like the bad batch of steroids a few months ago that doctors injected in people killing them and giving others meningitis) and you or you child dies, you can claim the risk they took was worth it to protect those with compromised immune systems.

Disney should make a rule: Those who choose not to get the flu shot should wear a mask to protect fellow passengers.

Not necessarily a myth. If you look back a couple of years, thousands of people actually became quite sick after recieving the flu shot. During the H1N1 crisis, there was a ton of research done after. It seemed, the flu shot did indeed create illness in people.

As well, many people can get the common side effects of fever, chills and headache after recieving the flu shot. They may concieve this as 'being sick' but infact, common side effects.

It is a large myth... You do NOT get sick from the ship. The research that was done during H1N1 was in relation to your immune system being busy fighting the dead flu vaccine that was placed in your body.

This is why many people feel blah up to the first week after the flu shot, you immune system is working with all of the dead flu strains within the shot/under skin injection.

-Source: My wife, a research medical professional for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter