• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FLU SHOT...YES or NO! UPDATE!! 11/27 Page 4 Post 59

FLU SHOT.....YES or NO????

• YES, absolutely

• NO, never

• OTHER

Results are only viewable after voting.
nope, never had one, never will. The last time I had the flu I was in my mid 20's and I'm now 48. I work witht the public and am so not worried about germs. I figure I've got a huge immunity built up. I get little colds and stuff but not anything bad. My Mom has had 2 bouts with breast cancer, isn't all that healthy, worked in the ER of a county hospital and never got the shot either. She said it just makes you sick so why bother.

no, not necessary!

if I ever find myself in a "risk group"..I will re-evaluate based on the situation, but highly unlikely....

I don't get one, and I have never had the flu (as far back as I can remember). I am 36. I won't say I will never get one, but I just don't see the need for one now. I don't believe they make you any more sick than you would have been without them.

DH and the girls are also very healthy and have never had flu shots.

Denae

Nope! I'm 28 and haven't had the flu since I was 12. I only get colds once every two years or so as well. I figure that since I'm so healthy, why tempt fate?

Nope, not me or Russ. My husband got one because the military doesn't allow you to decide those things for yourself.

I already have on the recommendation of my ob and the kid's pediatrician.

Yes, so did DH and my two kids. From what I understand there is no shortage this year.

The kids and I have had one every year, in the shortage years we had to wait until all the kids with chronic illnesses got theirs, but I kept up with it and got them for my kids after that.

My DS had the flu when he was about 5 and I have never gotten over the image of DH carrying him like a limp noodle into the Pedi's office. He was so weak from being sick. Scared me to death, never again - if the shot's available we get it. The years that DH didn't get his , he got the flu and the rest of us were fine.

I'm 45 and my DD is 7 and we both already had our flu shots. I didn't get it for any special reason ... I don't want to get sick if I can help it and AFAIK there is no shortage this year. It *did* knock me on my butt the day I got it. I was cranky and a bit under the weather and ended up napping for 3 hours while my 7-year old watched TV. At least she's over completely destroying the house!

I have been getting a flu shot for years and have already received mine for this season. It has prevented me from getting the flu. In 2004, the flu shot was rationed and I could not get one. I came down with the flu that season and was out of work for a week. I'm a believer in the power of the flu shot!

LukenDC said:
I have been getting a flu shot for years and have already received mine for this season. It has prevented me from getting the flu. In 2004, the flu shot was rationed and I could not get one. I came down with the flu that season and was out of work for a week. I'm a believer in the power of the flu shot!

Yea and I believe in those tiger repellents I have all around my house. I haven't seen a single tiger since I put them up.

The flu shot doesn't always prevent the flu and not getting a flu shot doesn't mean you will get the flu.

BillSears said:
Yea and I believe in those tiger repellents I have all around my house. I haven't seen a single tiger since I put them up.

:confused3 :confused3 tiger repellents....pls explain!!!! :teeth:

Yep! Got it yesterday actually. I am 38. DW (37) and DSs (8) are getting theirs today. I am a firm believer in getting it. I'm a pharmacist and for me, not getting one would be foolish.

momrek06 said:
:confused3 :confused3 tiger repellents....pls explain!!!! :teeth:

It's just an example of faulty reasoning. The poster said that not getting a flu shot caused him to get the flu. I was being sarcastic and saying my tiger repellents kept tigers away from my house. Saying the reason I didn't see tigers was because of the tiger repellent when actually it's because there aren't any wild tigers in Baltimore.

By his reasoning I should get the flu every year because I've never gotten a flu shot and all of those who receive flu shots should never get the flu. I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu and I know some people who get the flu shot but get a different strain of the flu then what they flu shot contains.

BillSears said:
It's just an example of faulty reasoning. The poster said that not getting a flu shot caused him to get the flu. I was being sarcastic and saying my tiger repellents kept tigers away from my house. Saying the reason I didn't see tigers was because of the tiger repellent when actually it's because there aren't any wild tigers in Baltimore.

By his reasoning I should get the flu every year because I've never gotten a flu shot and all of those who receive flu shots should never get the flu. I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu and I know some people who get the flu shot but get a different strain of the flu then what they flu shot contains.

:lmao:

I'm 25 and I get one each year. I work in retail and am constantly exposed to germs and grossness. I rarely get sick but want to be on the safe side.

OKAY EVERYONE!!! MANY THANKS FOR THE REPLIES TO MY THREAD!!!

I JUST CAME FROM THE MD'S OFFICE AND HAD MY FIRST EVER FLU SHOT!!!

THE COST WAS $15.00!!!

SO NOW WITH ALL MY PENDING TRIPS, I FEEL MUCH BETTER AND CONFIDENT THAT I WENT AHEAD AND INDEED GOT THE FLU SHOT!!!!

:disrocks: :jumping1: :disrocks: :jumping1: :disrocks:

A little late on this thread, but I am a firm believer in getting the flu shot every year. I work for a hospital and we are exposed to any and every germ. I get the shot every year. I believe that this country has major flu epidemics every year because so many people do not get the flu shot.............HOWEVER........that being said, the previous poster was correct in stating that even though people get the flu shot, they still get other strains of flu germs. This is so true. The flu serum is made from the strains that were around the previous season, so by the time that we get the flu shot, there are many, many more strains around because we have so many people coming into our country with different germs.

But, I still feel that we should protect ourselves from what we know is there every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter