Flu bug going around at Disney?

cey said:
Last year, we came back with cold symptoms (my worst day was on the flight back) so this year, I am packing several purse size antibacterial hand gels, a large pump size one for the room and also antibacterial liquid soap in a pump dispenser for the sink area. Take that you flu and bacteria germs! ::yes::

Lol I'm doing same thing ...plus Lysol wipes ...knock on wood we have never gotten sick there but don't want to take chances either

Ordinary soap and hot water is enough to kill germs, you don't need anti bacterial soap.

Again, some people may think it is worth the risk, and that's fine. We did have fun, but in the end, I don't think it was worth this and I would never expose my family again.

If you read this person's other posts, they were not that thrilled with a WDW vacation to begin with, and were worried because they weren't excited.

I think their response to this sickness makes more sense when viewed with this information.

Just like people with allergies will sometimes put up with awful symptoms if they're doing something they love (owning cats, horses, etc), but they aren't willing to put themselves through that kind of discomfort for something they don't really enjoy (mowing the lawn, visiting a location with lots of allergens, etc).

That said, I think they should have just come out and said "Disney was okay, but it's not my favorite place to vacation, and the flu bug really was just the straw that broke the camel's back". That makes more sense than saying "I loved Disney but I won't go back because I got the flu when we were there".

We just returned from our vacation and DH had picked up something . . .he swears it was food poisioning, but I really don't think so . . .On 11/8 we ate dinner at San Angel Inn . . .it was by far the best meal! DH did a lot of the booths and sampled plenty of suds . . I always stick to my Sutter Home wine in America . . .I ate everything at the booths he did, minus Scandanavian, and I was completely fine.

On 11/9 he woke up and had severe stomach cramps, he literally projectile vomited (sorry to be gross) it was like something evil was coming out . . .:eek: Anyways, he was out of commission all day and night on 11/9, had the chills, stomache ache, diarrea and he told me I should attend MVMCP by myself . . .:guilty:

He really isn't back to 100% yet . . .I really think it was basically a viral bug he could of even picked up on the plane . . .

Other than that, we did have a GREAT time and as usual, the F&W Festival was awesome and we can't wait to go again next year! Although, I'm pretty sure DH will NOT be sampling all the different beers or eating in Mexico (he insists it was the source of his sickness) :rolleyes1

Wish Upon A Star said:
We just returned from our vacation and DH had picked up something . . .he swears it was food poisioning, but I really don't think so . . .On 11/8 we ate dinner at San Angel Inn . . .it was by far the best meal! DH did a lot of the booths and sampled plenty of suds . . I always stick to my Sutter Home wine in America . . .I ate everything at the booths he did, minus Scandanavian, and I was completely fine.

On 11/9 he woke up and had severe stomach cramps, he literally projectile vomited (sorry to be gross) it was like something evil was coming out . . .:eek: Anyways, he was out of commission all day and night on 11/9, had the chills, stomache ache, diarrea and he told me I should attend MVMCP by myself . . .:guilty:

He really isn't back to 100% yet . . .I really think it was basically a viral bug he could of even picked up on the plane . . .

Other than that, we did have a GREAT time and as usual, the F&W Festival was awesome and we can't wait to go again next year! Although, I'm pretty sure DH will NOT be sampling all the different beers or eating in Mexico (he insists it was the source of his sickness) :rolleyes1

what do you mean by this debate about whether it is "food poisoning" or not? it was almost certainly either a viral or bacterial illness. it would be tough to tell whether it was food borne or transmitted some other way.

Well, I would think that if it was a food contamination, he would of felt sick almost immediately following or sometime during the night, not in the am over 12 - 13 hours later . . . . .

And I wasn't looking for any kind of debate, just sharing our experience . . .still had an awesome time minus that one day . . .stunk that it happened, but so goes it . . .

Wish Upon A Star said:
Well, I would think that if it was a food contamination, he would of felt sick almost immediately following or sometime during the night, not in the am over 12 - 13 hours later . . . . .

interestingly, food borne illness can materialize right away or as long as 72 hours after eating contaminated food. depends on what the virus/bacteria is and how much of it had grown in the food before ingestion.

I'm going over to electricsoup's house to make her sit in the corner and THINK ABOUT WHAT SHE SAID.

We were just there with electricsoup and her family, and we didn't get sick (our kids were climbing all over each other.) We even went on a Disney Cruise after, where that would have sucked extra hard.

I hope everyone gets to feeling better. DH has a respiratory thing that he often gets after we've been traveling. However, cold and flu season is upon us. It's gonna happen.

<---also mean.

If you read this person's other posts, they were not that thrilled with a WDW vacation to begin with, and were worried because they weren't excited.

I think their response to this sickness makes more sense when viewed with this information.

Just like people with allergies will sometimes put up with awful symptoms if they're doing something they love (owning cats, horses, etc), but they aren't willing to put themselves through that kind of discomfort for something they don't really enjoy (mowing the lawn, visiting a location with lots of allergens, etc).

That said, I think they should have just come out and said "Disney was okay, but it's not my favorite place to vacation, and the flu bug really was just the straw that broke the camel's back". That makes more sense than saying "I loved Disney but I won't go back because I got the flu when we were there".

I agree. I don't even think it's a "I only had an okay time so this was the straw that broke the camel's back". I think this is a "I didn't want to go in the first place (See, reluctant spouse post) so this flu thing is a great excuse to never go back again!".

So, as I am reading...the "flu" you all talk about is meaning a stomach bug? We went to Mexico this year and I was glad we packed plenty of Pepto and got a scripts from the doctor of Cipro before we left. We weren't sick until 3a the morning we flew back to the states, but was still glad we had both. Thanks to the meds neither of us had to use the plane bathroom.
I don't think I have ever taken so much Pepto in my life! Now Mexico is different than Orlando, but still...

Better safe then sorry I say.. because you never know what germs are walking around in the crowds.

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?

Shocking about the Nestle...hmmm. Unlikely, though, it was Salmonella. The onset was too soon. Usually takes at least 12 hours and more commonly 36 even upwards to 72 hours, which is a telltale sign of Salmonella. My first thought is Staph. It's commonly the 2-hour post eating culprit! I've worked in Bacteriology for over 30 years, and, ironically, I actually had Salmonella food poisoning years ago. Was in the hospital for 1 week...no joke. It's hideous. The only thing worse is Norovirus, which I've also had...it is beyond the pale! It's no wonder they can't get human subjects for that research study! :rotfl2:

Thank heavens, thank heavens, thank heavens, you got her to the ER! When you have a loved one who is suddenly having lots of "symptoms" that I'm sure we can imagine without going into details, even teaspoons of water can help them until you can get them to the ER.

You may find this helpful:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodborneillness/foodborneillnessfoodbornepathogensnaturaltoxins/badbugbook/ucm071342.htm

Just got back and one of things I saw that sticks in my head was a kid who was licking the lean rails in front of us. It grossed us out in a comical way. The mom wasn't paying attention and never saw him doing it. Now just imagine if you were a couple of people behind us and ran your hand over that spot. YUCK.

LisaTC - Thanks for the information and the link to the FDA website. That certainly does make sense. Question though. It says salmonella can present within 72 hours, so is it possible she ate something elsewhere at Disney a day or two before vomiting? We were on the Deluxe Dining plan and all we ate was Disney food the whole time.

I am glad we went to the ER as well. Like I said, the Disney paramedics took one look at her and put her in a stretcher to go. They actually gave her morphine in the ER for the stomach cramps. It was pretty bad. She is still not well though and barely eating.

Sparkly said:
Ordinary soap and hot water is enough to kill germs, you don't need anti bacterial soap.

Not all germs!

I had food poisoning a number of yrs ago from eating at Espn, one son picked up a 24 hr bug a few yrs back, and we've picked up LOTS of colds from going to WDW, but that ould never stop me from traveling there. We go several times a yr.

My neighbor's son and freinds just came back from a concert in orlando over the weekend and spent yesterday at the ER- He has the flu, and the 3 boys he was with are also all sick. You put lots of people together and this is what happens.

I see so many people coughing, hacking, sneezing, blowing and have even seen vomiting kids at those parks so it is no wonder so many people get sick from the trip.

Yes, I'll agree that WDW with so many people in one area (or any large gathering) can be *ripe* for picking up *bugs*. But to be fair, our Dr. says one of the worse places to pick up bugs is on an airplane :eek:

Also, as has been mentioned, because of preparing and spending so much on expected WDW trips, a lot of people will go sick (or their children) saying that they will be ok in a day or so - meanwhile they are flying and giving it to others. Sometimes, the plane is where people pick it up, but get it a few days later, then blame it on being at Disney. Anything could be true.

There is a thread on here right now (Disney for Families) where a lady is sick and flying out this Sat. is in bed and taking antibiotics for an infection, but still plans to go Sat. :eek:

Disney was fine. We had a good time. My kids had a blast. But no, I won't go back there ever again because I do believe that the risk of contracting an infectious disease, like influenza, is elevated there. It's just not worth it to me. But I can see how it would be worth it for other people, or if you didn't get as sick as we got, you wouldn't feel the same way.

I didn't see, but did you have a cheek swab to check for Influenza or have a definitive diagnosis? Did they give you any antivirals, etc? That seems a little disturbing. We always get flu shots because even if exposed, it lessens the severity and getting the flu is horrendous. Everyone has had a negative experience that they equate to the "I'm never doing that/going there/eating that" again! Its normal. Your angst will wane eventually. I got Norovirus on one of my many trips to Chicago (my favorite city.) Lying on the hotel bathroom floor for 2 days, thought I'd die. Swore I'd never eat shrimp again or go to Chicago during winter, blah, blah, blah. Everybody says that at one time or another and you eventually get over it. When a whole family gets sick, it's monumental at the time and has negative memories. Sorry this happened.

The likelihood you could get sick at Disney, especially, if riding the buses, is probably higher than your regular life. Concentration of bugs. I always take new toothbrushes on vacation and Clorox wipes and wipe down our cell phones and backpack handles and phones and door knobs and drink lots of water. The solution to pollution is dilution :) Hopefully, you can look back and not feel so badly. It will happen one day.

We didn't all get the swab, but one of us did, and it was positive for influenza A. This was in October, which was unusual. Our doctor in NJ was kind of puzzled, because it was on the early side, but then when we told him that we had just got back from Disney, he just nodded and said, Oh, ok, that makes sense.

We didn't ride the buses. We stayed at the Contemporary/BLT, so we rode the monorail and drove to DHS. I did all the preventative stuff to the room, believe me! Clorox wipes like crazy, hand sanitizer, washing hands. I just think that risk is high because there are so many people touching the same things, over and over and over.

I have good memories now, so I'm happy about that. But you'll never get me back there (maybe if I have grandkids one day lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter