• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flowers

irishdoll7

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if you have flowers delivered to a room and they are still alive can you carry them off the ship?

Thank you.

No!! They have a short list of items. I know fruit and flowers are definately on it!

Sorry!

Lisa

Make sure everyone understands about being "alive." When someone sent me the "Sorcerer Mickey," I assumed I would not be able to leave the ship with the flowers. I asked a few CM's onboard and got different answers from each. The last one said, "<I>Just try it and if it isn't allowed, they'll confiscate the flowers. No problem</I>." So I carried the pot with flowers, debarked, and when I got to the little customs table I walked over to them and asked if it was okay. "<I>As long as they are cut flowers and not in soil, they are fine</I>" was the reply. So you are correct, they can not be "alive." However, on my way to the parking lot I passed a woman with the same pot and NO flowers. She asked how I got off the ship with mine. I explained. She was furious because a CM told her she had to throw them out, so that was what she did.

Interesting. I left a $100 bouquet on board that wasn't even beginning to show signs of wilting. Some of the lilies hadn't even fully opened yet. :(

At least they were put to good use, I gave them to our concierge team who had admired them in our room :)

Anne

Shirley could answer this question for you.....

Send her an email or she might answer this post later.

Phyllis
:cool:

Hello there,
Unfortunalty - I do not have the great news everyone would like to hear - supposely food, plants, etc can't be entered back in the states so posted -
Norm and I made a delivery to the ship - it was such a small bouquet of flowers for someone special - they were not on board - we picked them up and started out the ship with them and they said no way Jose - we had to turn them over BEFORE we reached custom - then I have seen people walk out with their flowers - so I myself, I would try it for you just never know - I try to instill anyone who orders flowers to keep it within a budget so that they can be enjoyed to the full end of the cruise - the vases are turned over are recycled - this is why when you can ask for throw-away container and more monies into the flowers - just a tip.
Good luck and if I learn anything different will let you know.
Always
Shirley

ps never did know who our flowers went to but I sure hope it was a crew member that could enjoy them to the fullest and nope we were not reimbursted for the loss.

Shirley - The people at the Customs desk said there is no problem if they are cut flowers that originally came from the U.S. (as in from you or Gifts Ahoy, etc) - the kind that arrive stuck in the foam-like thing to keep them moist. They explained that you can not have a live plant on the ship and then cut them yourself and bring it off the ship. I don't know how they tell the difference at a glance, as they did not examine mine but they approved it as "cut flowers from the U.S." (which mine were - - in the foam without any soil), and I carried them home. This was in May, so unless Customs has changed their regulations, they were not putting those in the general plant category.

When talking with my event manager I was told that there was no way I'd be allowed to take my bridal boquet off of the ship with me. But I know of someone who was able to. I think that it all depends on what customs agent you get.

Willowwind - If you are getting married on an island, that means your bridal bouquet will not just go from the U.S. to your cabin and back to the U.S., but will actually be taken off the ship on foreign territory. I think that makes a big difference, due to possible insect infestation (even invisible), etc. But you are right - It is bound to depend on the particular Customs agent you encounter. I just wanted everyone to be aware that if you have cut flowers that are delivered to your stateroom from the U.S., do NOT arrive in soil, and do not leave the ship until your return to the U.S., you should definitely attempt to debark with them and stop by the customs table and inquire.

Actually at this point I think the ceremony's going to end up being in The Cadillac Lounge. :rolleyes: Though we're still crossing our fingers for Castaway Cay.

If it's in the Lounge I'll give bringing them back a try and just hope for the best!

Thanks Taswira!

WILLOWWIND: If you cannot bring the flowers home, at least bring the ribbons, holder, whatever else there is that is not or has not been alive. Take some pictures of the bouquet and when you get home, get some silk flowers like the originals and remake the bouquet.

I carried an arm bouquet of 6 long stemmed white roses with some stephanotis 33 years ago. Silk flowers were not as available then, so after the roses died, I got plastic ones and re-did the bouquet. The stephanotis were plastic to begin with as the plane bringing them to the country had problems and the flowers had all frozen.

It now hangs on the wall in the family room by the framed wedding invitation, oval portraits of my sons when each was 2 weeks old and plaster of paris handprints of their hands at different ages. All this is above the bookcase on which sits their most recent 9 x 10 portraits. My "family" wall.

HAPPY WEDDING! :) HAPPY MARRIAGE! :)

Jan :earsgirl:

Originally posted by JLSE50
HAPPY WEDDING! :) HAPPY MARRIAGE! :)

Thanks Jan! We're having a GREAT marriage :) This will be our 5th Anniversary Vow Renewal, but the first big ceremony that we've had. 1st time around was just at the courthouse. Most people think I'm being a baby about the flowers, but I never had any of that cool "bride stuff" and I plan on doing it up right this time!

It's your party and you should do it the way you want.

Have fun,

You should definitely go for whatever you want Willowwind.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

No reason not to, after all it IS your wedding. I tried talking DH into a vow renewal as we'll be celebrating our 20th when we sail. You'd have thought I'd just asked if he'd like to walk on live coals! Great marriage - just doesn't want to do all of that stuff again. Once was enough!

Deb

Even before our wedding (33 years ago) DH said "I don't want to GET married, I want to BE married." ;)

Now that he is married he thinks it is a fine situation and that a renewal of vows is not necessary or worthwhile :cool: He would rather spend the money on a nice trip or some extra excursions or a week at WDW after our next cruise--YAHOO!! Fine with me!! Longer vacation! :)

Willowwind--enjoy your special day--especially since you did not ever have a fancy wedding day before!! Every bride should get at least one wedding the way she wants it . :Pinkbounc

I married on DCL / Castaway Cay in June and I was allowed to take my absolutely beautiful bouquet off the ship! The agriculture agent told me the same thing (as long as they are cut flowers, they are free to leave the ship). Definately ask before taking the flowers off the ship because it is not stated anywhere in writing. I don't want anyone to face a hefty fine.

Mary

Originally posted by dznybound
Definately ask before taking the flowers off the ship because it is not stated anywhere in writing.
I would not advise asking BEFORE getting off the ship, because the CM's on onboard honestly will give you different answers depending on whom you ask. If they are cut flowers that did not arrive in soil, go ahead and walk off the ship with them, BUT be sure to stop at the Customs table before proceeding through the checkpoint. THEY should tell you what they told me - that there is no problem if they are cut flowers. If for ANY reason they decided not to allow them, you would not be in any trouble because you would have made your inquiry directly to Customs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter