• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flowers, 5Ks, and Fiancées-A May 2011 TR *Updated 4/30 The Last Update*

Happy belated Birthday to your mum! Hope she had a great day!

Yay on getting some wedding planning done!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the Lilikoi juice and can't wait to try it! :thumbsup2

I found the two rules of marriage hilarious and have to agree with them!! :lmao:

I can't wait to try the Tonga Toast - it's a shame you didn't find it had the wow factor!

We had breakfast at Kona Cafe on May 8th. Missed you by just a day.

I can't wait to hear about how the 5K went. I can imagine just how it felt, knowing the 5K was coming up all day.

Mmm Kona looks so yummy for breakfast! I had an ADR there for my October trip, but cancelled it for Crystal Palace instead, even though I told myself no CP this trip...I just can't let that place go! :rotfl:

What a cute picture of you and DF! :lovestruc

I've always wanted to try the Tonga Toast ever since I read about it on the DIS, but I don't like bananas! So I doubt I'd like it very much! :laughing:

I can't believe you wanted time to speed up at WDW! :eek: It seems like time flies by when I'm there!

Can't wait to hear about the 5K! :banana:

What a completely hilarious TR so far- I def would've been inching out the door of DF's house. I thought it was pretty funny how the 'Just Engaged' pins showed up at the tail end of that snafu. Your window decorations looked so adorable!!

I totally agree w/ you about Kona- my Mom, sister, and I shared a Big Kahuna and a Tonga Toast. I really enjoyed my share of the TT, but wouldn't want to eat it for breakfast by itself.

Can't wait to read about the EE 5K- that's so awesome that it takes place at night! I did the DL 1/2 Marathon in 2008 and we had to check in by like 4am or something ridiculous.

Also so excited for you about the wedding! That place that reminds you of the GF sounds splendid! I hope that we get to see your dress at some point- that's my fav part of weddings!

It sounds like you guys had a really great breakfast :goodvibes The couple you interacted with sounded great, I LOVE the rules that he told DF for a happy marriage :thumbsup2

Those pictures of your breakfast make me even more sad we didn't decide to do Kona in our next trip :headache:

I feel the same way when it comes to a race, I hate the anticipation!

It would have drove me crazy to be in WDW all this time and not have entered a park yet! But, it looks like you had a great breakfast at Kona! I have to admit that it's one of my favorite restaurants and I'm sure to eat at it at least once every trip. And I also have to admit that I'm with you... the Tonga Toast just isn't my thing.. I'd rather have pancakes. Can't wait to see what you got when shopping and hear what you thought about the race!

Great trip report! I just read your entire TR from your December trip too. Congrats on your engagement and upcoming wedding. Can't wait to read more!

Happy belated Birthday to your mum! Hope she had a great day!

Yay on getting some wedding planning done!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the Lilikoi juice and can't wait to try it! :thumbsup2

I found the two rules of marriage hilarious and have to agree with them!! :lmao:

I can't wait to try the Tonga Toast - it's a shame you didn't find it had the wow factor!

I think she enjoyed her bday; it was very relaxing, which is always a good thing. :laughing:
The Lilikoi juice was delicious, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
I'm sure you'll love the Tonga Toast, I'm just one of those rare people who prefer pancakes. :rotfl:

We had breakfast at Kona Cafe on May 8th. Missed you by just a day.

I can't wait to hear about how the 5K went. I can imagine just how it felt, knowing the 5K was coming up all day.

Ah, bummer. I wondered if you were doing a Kona breakfast, though, because I remembered from your Dec. TR that you really enjoyed eating there.
Waiting all day for the race wreaked havic on my nerves. It definitely distracted me while at DTD.

Mmm Kona looks so yummy for breakfast! I had an ADR there for my October trip, but cancelled it for Crystal Palace instead, even though I told myself no CP this trip...I just can't let that place go! :rotfl:

What a cute picture of you and DF! :lovestruc

I've always wanted to try the Tonga Toast ever since I read about it on the DIS, but I don't like bananas! So I doubt I'd like it very much! :laughing:

I can't believe you wanted time to speed up at WDW! :eek: It seems like time flies by when I'm there!

Can't wait to hear about the 5K! :banana:

Yeah, the Tonga Toast has a lot of bananas, so I wouldn't recommend it for you. :rotfl:

Amusingly enough, I had an ADR for CP, but I had cancel it. It is a place I have been dying to go to, but DF is against character breakfasts. He thinks it'd be dumb to interact with them as two adults w/out children. I tried to explain to him that nobody would care, but it was something I couldn't get him to do. :confused3

What a completely hilarious TR so far- I def would've been inching out the door of DF's house. I thought it was pretty funny how the 'Just Engaged' pins showed up at the tail end of that snafu. Your window decorations looked so adorable!!

I totally agree w/ you about Kona- my Mom, sister, and I shared a Big Kahuna and a Tonga Toast. I really enjoyed my share of the TT, but wouldn't want to eat it for breakfast by itself.

Can't wait to read about the EE 5K- that's so awesome that it takes place at night! I did the DL 1/2 Marathon in 2008 and we had to check in by like 4am or something ridiculous.

Also so excited for you about the wedding! That place that reminds you of the GF sounds splendid! I hope that we get to see your dress at some point- that's my fav part of weddings!

I think if I had split the TT with someone I would've enjoyed it a lot more. By itself, it's just too much.
4am?! I don't think I could've done that.:rotfl: I'm a night runner, so to wake up and go running at the crack of dawn would be difficult.

DF occasionally roams the DISboards, especially when I'm hanging out at his place and we're messing around on the computer, so I don't want to risk posting a picture and him seeing it. However, after the wedding, I'll probably post it in the wedding thread. I have to agree, it's my favorite part of weddings, too. Now that I have one, I'm very reluctant to do any more planning. :rotfl:

I just finished your completed report. Loving this one too! :cool1:

Thanks for reading both of them, I appreciate it!:)

It sounds like you guys had a really great breakfast :goodvibes The couple you interacted with sounded great, I LOVE the rules that he told DF for a happy marriage :thumbsup2

Those pictures of your breakfast make me even more sad we didn't decide to do Kona in our next trip :headache:

I feel the same way when it comes to a race, I hate the anticipation!

The breakfast was fantastic, especially since we shared it with such great company. It was the only breakfast ADR we had, though, so it's hard to compare it anything else. :confused3

Don't be too sad, you're eating at wonderful restaurants for your trip! :thumbsup2

It would have drove me crazy to be in WDW all this time and not have entered a park yet! But, it looks like you had a great breakfast at Kona! I have to admit that it's one of my favorite restaurants and I'm sure to eat at it at least once every trip. And I also have to admit that I'm with you... the Tonga Toast just isn't my thing.. I'd rather have pancakes. Can't wait to see what you got when shopping and hear what you thought about the race!

It did! After going that route twice, I'm never going to wait that long again.
The breakfast was really great, and now I know for next time to stick with the pancakes.

Great trip report! I just read your entire TR from your December trip too. Congrats on your engagement and upcoming wedding. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! Sorry for not posting chapter links on the completed trip report; I'm finding people are reading it and I feel bad that everyone has to go through all the pages to find the updates. Thanks for dealing with it! :laughing:

Before I write my update, I just have to do a little happy dance. :banana::cool1:
DF and I had been having a hard time deciding what we wanted to do for our honeymoon. The plans were pretty complicated, because DF's an alternate for a deployement and we're not sure he's even going to be around past Labor Day. (Hence why we're getting married so quickly.:rotfl:)
So we didn't want to plan anything and then have to worry about possible cancellation fees.
Originally, the two of us wanted to go to WDW. But since we took this last-minute trip in May, our families were screaming their protests at us. Not to mention, we'd already used 4 of the 6 available military discounted tickets.

So, sadly, I had to wash my Disneymoon dreams away. But then DF kept mentioning how much he'd like to take a cruise. He's been on 2 before, and he loves them. I've never been on one, but I love the beach, so I couldn't see myself not liking it.

DF was telling one of his sisters about his cruise hope the other day, and she blurted out, "Why don't you take a Disney cruise?"

And, naturally, she had me from the word Disney.
DF and I talked it over and agreed it would fit both of our wishes. It would give me my Disney fix while respecting his vacation wish.

So, we went and talked to a TA at the base ITT and figured out what would happen if DF does indeed deploy. They swore up and down that as long as we can show Disney the papers that list his orders, we can get a credit (with buying the insurance, of course) for another cruise at a later date.

The only problem was we had to book the cruise a month after our wedding, because it was less expensive, and so it can give the two of us time to figure out the deployement issue.

But still...I'm getting another Disney fix! :banana::cool1::woohoo:

DF and I still have a day left on our tickets, so I am trying to weedle DF into stopping at WDW for a day. I really want to go to MNSSHP, but I am not going to push it. I should just be lucky I'm getting 3 Disney related trips within one year. :thumbsup2

Okay, moving on to May...

The Day of May 7th:

DF and I left the TTC center and drove to our favorite "first-day" spot, Downtown Disney.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Since we'd driven that route in December, DF didn't get us lost.

We found a parking spot near the front, which was a nice surprise.
It was almost noon, and the sun was high in the sky, so I grabbed a water bottle from the car and started hydrating myself.

Unfortunately, I ended up wearing the water.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I spilled about half a liter on the car seat, on my leg, and on my side.

DF gave me a look, like, Did you forget how to drink?

A little embarrassed, I shrugged the accident off and stepped out of the car.

So what if I had just soaked myself?

A little water never hurt anyone.

DF and I entered near the Lego store, but we didn't do more than snap a quick picture.

Dsc04251.jpg

We both had one destination in mind:

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

On the way over there, as we both talked about the pins we were considering buying, a DVC member shouted congratulations to us.
It took me a moment to realize he had noticed our Just Engaged buttons.

This was our first outing with the buttons on, and it took me awhile to remember they were there.
We slowed down to thank him, and he noticed DF's shirt.

"You running in tonight's race?"

We both nodded. Well, DF nodded, I kind of bounced my head up and down nervously, clearly displaying my fear. :rotfl:

The CM laughed, and said, "Hey, I am too! Well, I'll probably be passed out, but I'll be there! So, you know, if you see me on the side of the road, just throw some water on me and wave. I'll appreciate it."

It made me laugh and took a little of the edge off the race. This CM looked as if they ran all the time; they were athletic-looking. So, if someone who had the appearance of a runner was nervous, I felt that I could be, as well.

I asked if he'd done it before, and he said, no, this year was his first one. He did, however, have friends who did it, and he told me they did nothing but rave about it.

With that little conversation, DF and I had become really excited/anxious for the 5K, and we were more than ready to distract our minds with shopping.

At the pin store, I bought a mystery set collection with
antique pins and DF bought the same thing, along with a packet of pin backings.
There was only pin I wasn't hoping to get in the collection, and unfortunately, I got it. It was a yellow square pin with Pluto on it.

I also got a red and white colored Mickey Mouse.

I wasn't crazy about that either, but the Mickey I could deal with.

DF opened his pack and got a yellow-tinted Mickey Mouse, which he said was going to be an instant trade.
His second pin was the one I'd been hoping for...it was an old-fashioned Animal Kingdom logo. DF, being very sweet, immediately traded my red Mickey Mouse for the Animal Kingdom. :love:

Dsc04257.jpg

Finished with our pin shopping, we moved on in search of shirts.
We were both looking for a WDW shirt, because neither of us own any. The only hard part was that I'm an extremely picky clothes shopper.

It's hard for me to find something I'm willing to spend WDW prices on.
We browsed Tren-D fairly quickly; I didn't see anything that caught my attention, and we moved on to World of Disney.

DF was enthralled with the spitting Stitch. He took about ten different pictures of the water at various "spitting stages." :confused3
Dsc04262.jpg

We went inside, and I became distracted by all the pirate items.
Dsc04265.jpg

Dsc04270.jpg

I love Pirates of the Caribbean (it's my favorite WDW attraction) but there was nothing that I wanted to buy.

DF looked around the store a long time, and he contemplated buying a hat. He had meant to bring one from home, but he'd forgotten to stick it in the car.
I told him he should get this one, but he didn't agree:

Dsc04271.jpg

After striking out at the stores, DF and I were getting pretty frustrated. Plus, it was 3 o'clock and the sun was
HOT!
We both agreed it was time to go chill out for a bit.

DF stopped at a gas station on the way back to ASSp and filled up his tank and tried to buy some windshield wiper fluid, but the store was sold out. Apparently, everyone else needed to get rid of the lovebug massacre on their car...

We watched tv for a little while, then around 5:00, DF asked if we could go to the Food Court and eat. He didn't want to be full during the race, so we headed downstairs for an early dinner.

DF got the chicken alfredo again, and I got a cheese pizza, and we both got Poweraides.

f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

It was only 5:45-ish when we got back to our room, but I was getting antsy, so we pulled out all our race gear and started getting ready.

Unfortunately, that took no more than fifteen minutes.
We did not have to be at Animal Kingdom until 7:30, and the drive would only take us ten minutes, at most.

DF agreed to leave at 6:30, just to be on the safe side, but that still left me with an hour to wait.
And with each passing minute, I became more and more nervous.

The tv was on, but I couldn't sit still long enough to watch it.

So I wondered around the room, taking pictures.
DF just laid on the bed, reading, completely calm. Now, mind you, he has to run for his career, so it's no big deal to him, plus not only does he participate in races, he coordinates them. He spent all last fall putting together 5K tracks.

This was just going to be extremely fun for him.

I, on the other hand, wasn't sure I could even handle 3+ miles.

DF continued to lounge around.

I continued to take photos.

Dsc04281.jpg

At some point during my impromptu photo shoot, we heard a knock on our door and discovered the resort had given us an engagement present.

Dsc04285.jpg
It was a congratulations card signed by some famous Disney characters and a photopass card that gave us 20% off on photo orders.

That made our evening, we were so surprised to be given anything.

And, even better, it took my mind off the race...at least for a few minutes.

At one point, I made DF stand up and take some pictures with our bibs on.
I was so wound up, though, I couldn't even take a decent pic.

DSC04295.JPG

Eventually, after what seemed like a lifetime to me, it was time to head out.

I got into the car shaking.

Around us, there were a bunch of grad night students loading into buses.
I told myself that tonight I was going to do great, and afterwards, I could celebrate just as hard as those high schoolers.

Do I look terrified???
Dsc04298.jpg

Honestly, I'm surprised I was able to get a steady shot, what with my hands trembling so bad. Laughing at my panic-striken face, DF pulled out of ASSP and headed to AK, assuring me I'd have the time of my life.

Up Next...She'll Think I'm a Stalker!

Last edited:
:woohoo: on booking a Disney cruise for your Honeymoon - what a great idea!!!

I laughed at what the CM said to you about the race - that is funny! :laughing:

Yay on DF giving you the pin you wanted (how sweet of him) and it finally being time for you guys to go to AK! :banana:

Congrats on your cruise! :cool1: I would love to do a Disney cruise someday!

DTD is always so much fun, I wish I could buy whatever I wanted there, but it's so expensive! The pin store looks fun, but I never got into pin trading! I'm going to try Vinylmation this year, though, that looks awesome! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about the race! :banana:

Disney Cruise...sounds like the perfect honeymoon to me!!! I think that will be great and it is also great that you will be ok if any issues did come up with deployment...but fingers crossed that no issues do come up :goodvibes

I don't trade pins, but i like the vinylmations and I swear everytime I say there is one in the collection I dont want, I get it :headache:

I am so excited to read about the race!!! I have done so many races now over the last couple years, but I get soooooo nervous before each one!

A Disney cruise sounds like a perfect honeymoon. Too bad you have to wait so long after the wedding to go on it.

I love the Everest shirts you all have. I'm sure the race went great!:)

:woohoo: on booking a Disney cruise for your Honeymoon - what a great idea!!!

I laughed at what the CM said to you about the race - that is funny! :laughing:

Yay on DF giving you the pin you wanted (how sweet of him) and it finally being time for you guys to go to AK! :banana:

Yeah, the CM made me laugh out loud when he said that.
Even though I was really nervous about the race, I was really excited to FINALLY be going to a park!

Congrats on your cruise! :cool1: I would love to do a Disney cruise someday!

DTD is always so much fun, I wish I could buy whatever I wanted there, but it's so expensive! The pin store looks fun, but I never got into pin trading! I'm going to try Vinylmation this year, though, that looks awesome! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about the race! :banana:

I learned about Vinylmations after I told DF about pins and bought us our first ones. Now, DF is absolutely hooked on them! It is one of his favorite things about WDW. :confused3 I, on the other hand, wish I'd gotten into Vinylmations, because I am way too shy to do pin trading. :rotfl:

Disney Cruise...sounds like the perfect honeymoon to me!!! I think that will be great and it is also great that you will be ok if any issues did come up with deployment...but fingers crossed that no issues do come up :goodvibes

I don't trade pins, but i like the vinylmations and I swear everytime I say there is one in the collection I dont want, I get it :headache:

I am so excited to read about the race!!! I have done so many races now over the last couple years, but I get soooooo nervous before each one!

Haha, I understand about the collections. I swore I wasn't going to start gathering the Heroes vs Villains pin collection, and by the end of the trip DF and I had all but 2 of them! :scared1:

A Disney cruise sounds like a perfect honeymoon. Too bad you have to wait so long after the wedding to go on it.

I love the Everest shirts you all have. I'm sure the race went great!:)

Thanks! DF was the one who suggested making shirts and designing them. He was really excited to show ours off and see other people's creations at the race.

I wish our honeymoon was a little closer to the wedding, as well, but we're using that time in between to move into a new house and get all our information changed and combine households, etc etc. Our train of thought is that we'll get all the boring necessary things accomplished so that we have nothing to worry about on our trip. :rotfl:

A Disney Cruise!!!!! I'm green w/ envy! :sick: :rotfl: I know people who went on Disney Cruises and they completely RAVE about them- you guys are going to have such a blast!

I ADORE that 101 Dalmations TrenD window display!

Super excited to read about the EE Challenge! I looked it up online and it seems totally fabulous- a Disney themed obstacle course is like my dream come true!

A Disney Cruise!!!!! I'm green w/ envy! :sick: :rotfl: I know people who went on Disney Cruises and they completely RAVE about them- you guys are going to have such a blast!

I ADORE that 101 Dalmations TrenD window display!

Super excited to read about the EE Challenge! I looked it up online and it seems totally fabulous- a Disney themed obstacle course is like my dream come true!

I thought the TrenD window was pretty cute, as well.
Unfortunately, the obstacle courses at the EE Challenge were not anything special. Just some stuff Disney placed throughout the race to throw you off. :confused3

Hello! Hope everyone's been enjoying their week, so far. I've been ordering wedding cakes and visiting with florists, so that is why this TR has been abandoned. But, here I am now! :cutie:

The Evening of May 7th:

DF managed to find his way to AK without any problems, (unlike earlier that morning) and we joined the massive line of cars waiting to find a parking spot.
This was when we caught our first glimpse of the race course:

Dsc04299.jpg

It already seemed intimidating.
(I just noticed you can also see the line of cars behind us in the rearview mirror.)

We crept forward a few feet at a time. There had to be a hundred cars trying to pile into the lot. I put on some cheerful music and began to dance and sing, hoping it would calm my nerves. And it did...to an extent.

As we drew closer to the parking lots, DF and I were able to see the starting line.

Dsc04301.jpg

When I saw that gigantic START banner, my stomach began doing flips. Who knew one little word could cause me to become a little green?

Eventually, DF was able to park and we began to get ready.

Pin bibs to shirts....check.

Make sure shoes strings are secure....check.

Place all cell phones, cameras, cards in a safe location....check.

Finish off one last bottle of water...check.

I managed to complete all these tasks in record time. While DF was still chugging his water, I was hopping up and down next to his door, ready to go.
We decided to leave all our valuables behind, because we did not feel like toting them around during the race.

In hindsight, though, we regretted that decision.

We should've brought DF's iphone with us, so that we could have taken pictures during/after the race. But, since we didn't, we have no pictures of the event. :headache:
Therefore, I apologize in advance that there are no pictures of the actual Expedition Everest Challenge.

When DF was
finally ready to go, we made our way to the race area.

We stopped for a quick picture.

Image4.jpg

And then we made our way to where everyone else was sitting. I am not sure, but I think they took one of the parking lot sections and closed it off.

It was after 7 by then, and the sun was beginning to set. Amazingly, it was not that hot out. I am the type of person that can break a sweat going from the house to the car, and I was perfectly comfortable sitting on the concrete.

DF and I passed the time looking at other people's costumes and reading team names. It was amazing how creative people were.

Nearing 8 o'clock, fifteen minutes before we were instructed to start lining up in our respective waves, DF and I hit up the bathrooms.
As I was going to wash my hands at a portable station, I caught something out of the corner of my eye.

Before the trip, I was following 20thingamabobs PTR about her various races at WDW. I remembered her, because she had come up with the cutest idea for the EE Challenge costume.

And out of the blue, I saw someone with that exact same costume on! The only reason I remembered it was because I was jealous I had already created my shirt and couldn't build onto her idea.
So, there at the 5K race, I ran into my first DISboard member!:cheer2:

Too bad I was too shy to say anything.

Instead, I grabbed DF's shirt sleeves and said, "Hey! You know how I'm on the DISboards and read people's PTRs?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I think one of the members is right there."

And DF, being the blunt person that he is, said, "Go say hi, then."

WHAT?!

"I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"She'll think I'm a stalker!"

DF shook his head. Then, before I could stop him, he walked right up to her and began talking. All I heard was "Excuse me, are you on the DISboards? My fiancee recognized your costume."

By that point I was so embarrassed, I walked away and pretended to be very interested in the water dispensing machine.

I have no idea what happened while I was busy washing my hands, but when DF returned, I turned my mortification to anger.

"YOU CANNOT JUST WALK UP TO STRANGERS AND START TELLING THEM I RECOGNIZE THEM!"

DF didn't see what the big deal was, but he's also not uncommonly shy like I am.

While we headed to the wave lines, I overreacted yet again and made a really big deal out of nothing. I had to explain to him that it wasn't what he did that made me so mad, it was that he did not listen to me...again. Just like with the parents, he had ignored my wishes and did what he wanted.

Despite the fact we had just gotten into a nasty disagreement, it actually turned out to be a good thing.
I was so distracted at what DF had just done, I had completely forgotten that we were about to run a 5K.

By the time my attention had returned to the current issue at hand, everyone was in their respective waves and we were all counting down the minutes until 8:30.

During that time, it was a madhouse. 2,000+ people corralled together, everyone trying to make sure they stayed with their teammates, straining to listen to the host announcing the minutes left.

This picture is courtesy of Jane Smith:

Start courtesy of Jane Smith.jpg

The seconds leading up to the first wave starting were
exhilarating, but after those 500 people had taken off, things turned ugly.

There were 6 waves in all, and there were probably 500 people in each wave. DF and I were in Wave 5 (I think waves were determined by sign up date) and each wave left 5 minutes after the group before them. So Wave 5 was due to leave at 8:50. To indicate where each wave was stationed, there was somebody holding up a numbered sign.

As I said before, everyone was lined up by their waves before the starting line. And due to the fact that there were so many people, the groups had a slant to them.

Wave 1 left, and Waves 2, 3, and 4, moved forward.

And the next thing we knew, the person holding the Wave 6 sign passed us to our left. People who were behind us then began moving forward.

By the time it was Wave 3's turn to leave, all of Wave 6 had passed us. It turned out that the people to the left of the line had moved forward, and because Wave 6 had moved with them, everyone on the right side of the line got pushed back.

This was beacuse the side on the right was being funnelled, and nobody could get around.

Other people in our group began getting really mad. They started yelling at the 6's sign holder to stop, cursing the setup of race, and swearing they'd never do another Disney race again. We all began holding our hands up with our fingers spread to the host (symbolizing the number 5), trying to tell someone that we were in Wave 5.

I will admit, the closer we got to 8:50 and the more Wave 6 people that passed us, the more frustrated I became. I kept wanting to shout, "Hey, you can't cut in front of us!"

I did not blame the other runners, they were just following the sign holder. The lady in charge of that, though, clearly was not paying attention.

When Wave 4 was sent off, I began to really start freaking out. As did the other 5's. We had five minutes to get in front of what was now 300 or so people.

I'm not sure what alerted the race officials that was something was wrong. It could have been someone seeing all the Wave 6 bibs when there should have been 5's.

Or it could have been the angry shouts from 100+ people in the back.

We were getting pretty loud.

Normally, I wouldn't have made a fuss, but this was my first race, my adrenaline was through the roof, and I felt that it just wasn't fair that I would have to miss my wave just because people cut in line.

All of a sudden though, I heard officials directing Wave 6 people to the left and asking Wave 5 people to hold up their hands and be let through the crowd.

As DF and I squeezed through the mob, I heard one girl go, "Jeez, how many more people are going to pass us?!"

I felt as if that summed up the fiasco.

I didn't feel that it was right that that many of us got left behind.
It added unnecessary stress to the situation and caused us all to panic and wasted our precious energy trying to scream at someone, anyone to notice what was going terribly wrong.
I told DF later that if we did another race again and it had such a disaster of a start like that, I would never do one again.

However, about two minutes before our wave time, DF and I were put in the right place.
And, due to all that, our blood was pumping and we ready to be out of there!

With ten seconds to go, we all began counting, and when we reached zero, fireworks shot out from behind the start banner.

The race was on!

Up next...The Expedition to Everest.

Last edited:
YAY race time!!! I love the crazy feeling I get right before I start...too bad I usually lose steam soon after :rotfl:

I actually wrote my disboards name on my race shirt when I did the Wine and Dine half marathon...lots of people stopped me which is what I was hoping for, because I was a little shy to say hi to them first...I actually met up with a lady who I still stay in touch with and we did a race in Virginia together recently :thumbsup2 As I am typing all of this I realize I haven't really approached anyone from the DIS without talking to them about meeting up first, so I guess I am not making a good point :rotfl: I am actually agreeing wtih you I would be nervous :rotfl2: Sorry for that random thought!!

I love your shirts and can't wait to see how the race went, sounds like a pretty frustrating start :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter