• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flour for Bread Maker

kalliyan1

DIS Veteran
I recently bought a bread machine and went to costco and bought the 25lb bag of bread flour. I have no idea where to store this flour. Those of you who buy flour in bulk like this can you give me some suggestions as to what to do with it???

TIA

Not very pretty but I use Gallon Ziploc bags. I go through it pretty quickly. It's easier for me to handle in a smaller bag. I have asked for a Glass Container for Christmas (the giant ones) so that's what I hope to be using soon.

But i have not found the bread flour in my store? I've been using regular all purpose with fine results. I prefer bread flour so I am going to look for it when I go this week.

I have several plastic canisters that I got at Walmart (they are really cheap, clear with blue lids) that I store my flours, sugars, etc in.

I've only lost one, and that was because DH dropped it while digging in the cupboard one day. Luckily, it had brown sugar in a bag in it! (Otherwise he would have had a HUGE mess to clean up!)

We use the OXO air tight containers. They seem to work well and can fit easily in our cabinets.

I buy this flour----it's such a great deal! I use a 2 cup measuring cup to scoop it into a large Tupperware container---I use the flour from here when making bread every other day.

The rest I just leave stored in he big bag, folding down the top securely. Then it sits on a shelf on an open island in the kitchen, or in the dining room where I have overflow Costco purchases! But honestly, it keeps just fine in the big bag. It takes me about 4-5 months to use up the whole thing.

ETA: the size I buy is the 50# bag, my only Costco option.

I keep my extra bread in the freezer-keeps it fresher and keeps bugs out of it. 5 lbs fits in a gallon bag.

I have some of the buddeez bulk food containers. I buy sugar in 25 or 50lb bags at sams and flour in 10 or 20lb bags (I bake a LOT) so I wanted air tight. In smaller amounts flour keeps in the freezer nicely in ziploc or tupperware containers.

I recently bought a bread machine and went to costco and bought the 25lb bag of bread flour. I have no idea where to store this flour. Those of you who buy flour in bulk like this can you give me some suggestions as to what to do with it???

TIA

I don't use large quantities of much of anything, but I like Lock & Lock for my baking ingredients storage. The only place I've found it locally--in limited sizes--is JC Penney. QVC tends to have a better selection, although that can vary, as well. I believe they are having a Lock & Lock TSV on December 6th. Check it out--I haven't been on the website or had it on television for a few weeks.

I buy the exact same flour at Costco. Believe it or not I use one of those metal popcorn tubs you get at Christmas filled with 3 kinds of popcorn (I believe Walmart and such usually has them) that I never knew what to do with but it seemed a shame to get rid of. It fits perfectly on the bottom shelf of my lazy susan and it holds almost half the bag. I even leave my measuring cups right in it on top of the flour - its perfect and made life much easier than scooping out of the bag that I left on the flour in my laundry room:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter