Floridians!! Shout out other parts of the state besides Orlando.

eliza61

DIS Veteran
So I was reading the "retirement" thread and while I do want to be a part time snow bird, I realized I don't know any thing about Florida except Orlando. Now I really have no desire to work at Disney, I love the world but I'm a customer service survivor. whew, no way do I want to do that job again. walmart cured me forever. ;)

Anyhoo,
Floridians or any one who loves Florida, tell me where and why? I want to discover more of the state.

I know nothing. :rolleyes:

So I was reading the "retirement" thread and while I do want to be a part time snow bird, I realized I don't know any thing about Florida except Orlando. Now I really have no desire to work at Disney, I love the world but I'm a customer service survivor. whew, no way do I want to do that job again. walmart cured me forever. ;)

Anyhoo,
Floridians or any one who loves Florida, tell me where and why? I want to discover more of the state.

No longer a Floridian and not even much of a Florida lover, but the Melbourne /Viera area is nice.

Anyhoo,

The Sarasota area and the keys off of the coast there are very nice areas.

I am not a Floridian, but my grandparents (now 82 & 83) retired to Cape Coral, FL (next to Ft. Myers) about 20 years ago and LOVE it. The kids and I visit them every year and it is a beautiful area. I think the Gulf Coast has lots of beautiful areas. Their area is not touristy at all.

There are a TON of things for retirees to participate in. (through the local yacht club/ pool, their church etc...)

Also, if you need to get a Disney fix, it is only a few hours away and a very easy drive (75 N to I 4).

I grew up in St. Petersburg, and my parents downsized to Clearwater Beach after my sister & I moved out. Both of these are on the Gulf Coast, w/in a couple hours of disney. Great parks & beaches in both places, weather is gorgeous.

Hmm only the best beaches in the USA, from the Gulf Coast (Pensacola, Ft. Walton, Panama City, Destin) that is if you are into perfect white sand beaches and crystal clear aqua green/blue water. The southern east and west coasts also have great beaches. Cocoa Beach near Orlando is not bad at all, but not one of Florida's best beaches IMO. Many historic towns, St. Augustine is an awesome historical place to visit. Miami for the party scene and beauty. Florida Keys for a different side of Florida but very water sport oriented, pretty islands, and of course Key West is a very unique historic and fun place as well.

Clay County - we're on the St John's River & only 20 - 30 minutes from Jacksonville & St. Augustine & 2.5 hrs. from WDW. It's an area that's close to everything with good schools, but still very relaxed & uncrowded. We moved here from Central NJ five years ago & would never go back!

Right between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

Pros:
- Close enough to Disney to go frequently (3 hours), but far enough away to keep the "magic" and go for longer trips if you want
- Warm year round (some would say hot - I LOVE IT!). We don't really get the cold snaps that they do in Orlando or central FL (or not as much)

Cons:
- Right on the beach, but it's not a very nice beach (Gulf side is better)
- Traffic is AWFUL all the time, everywhere :sad2:
- Snowbirds for 6-9 months out of the year... makes traffic even worse, restaurants jammed, etc.
- Lots of old people screaming in loud New Jersey accents everywhere :scared:
- Not really kid friendly (at least in my opinion, we don't have kids yet)
- Hurricanes, rain every day in the summer - it really is the "rainy state" in the summer, not the "sunshine state"
- Giant bugs, snakes, lizards, alligators, etc. :eek:
- In general I find people (like at the grocery store or whatever) to be unfriendly and rude here, it's a cultural thing. It bothers me.
- High crime (some areas)
- Gas, groceries, etc. expensive

Overall, I love the warm weather and being close to the beach, but I think the pace of life, traffic, and general niceness of people is much better on the west coast of Florida or further north. The tri-county south Florida area is a little too crazy for me.

Grew up in Venice. South of Sarasota - it's all a beautiful area. I've got to put in my vote for the Gulf coast. So gorgeous. The water is nicer (not as cold as the Atlantic side) and much calmer. Just beautiful.

I "escaped" FL 2 years ago, though we still own a home there. If a gun was put to my head and *had* to return, the Sarasota area would be my choice.

I have lived in ormond beach for over 30 years, moved down from NY and really dont have a desire to live anywhere else. Its north of daytona, some very upscale parts but affordable areas as well, great schools 1hr 15 min to disney. Miles of ocean and beautiful rivers, old Florida. Some other neat beachy areas around here are flagler beach and new smyrna beach.shhhh dont tell :)

I once spent three weeks In Palatka over a weekend once.

Had to see how far Palatka was from Ocala - yup, about an hour as the crow flies! :rotfl2:

Seriously, Ocala is nice if you take into consideration its nickname is "Slow-cala". (Hey, if it's good enough for John Travolta/Kelly Preston, it's good enough for me!)

We live in Pensacola, but we all say we're from L.A. (Lower Alabama) because we much more relate to Alabama than Florida. We're 5 minutes from the Florida/Alabama line ;)

Another big fan of the Sarasota/Siesta Key area! Have to go with the Gulf over the Atlantic side.

Born and raised in Rockledge, after I married my Coast Guard husband, lived in Coral Springs for 5 years and now Tampa area. The Rockledge/Viera are is small town like, good for families. I loved Coral Springs! I love the South Florida lifestyle. Not too much of a fan of Tampa, we've been here 2 years now. But, I had the ability to be a CM at Disney's res center here in Tampa, so that's a plus.

I've never lived there, but the Ocala area and just north of Ocala is very nice. It's horse country. Not the typical horses you see most places. These are thoroughbred race horses.

As you drive down I75, you pass beautiful estates that remind me of Kentucky. Long white fenced in areas with grazing horses and racetracks for training. Very pretty.

I've only stopped in Ocala long enough to get gas and something to eat, but what I saw reminded me of a nice, quiet small city. It's a short drive to Orlando from Ocala. You don't have to worry as much about the impact of hurricanes because it is inland. Insurance will be more reasonable because it is not on the coast. But, should you need a day at the beach, you can be on either coast in an hour.

If I had to move from the Orlando area, I would strongly consider Ocala.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter