Floridian vs Riveria

Depends on time of day.

Currently there is no Poly monorail access, so you would need to walk from the Grand or take the resort circle bus.
The OP is asking about late October, so the Polynesian's current construction issues will not be an issue then.

The resort monorail goes directly from the covered entrance of one resort to another, with the guest never needing to go outdoors (so rain is no issue, for example), while taking the gondola from Riviera to any Epcot resort would require a bit of a walk from the Epcot station. It is good access, just not quite as effortless as the monorail resort access.

Last edited:
The OP is asking about late October, so the Polynesian's current construction issues will not be an issue then.

The resort monorail goes directly from the covered entrance of one resort to another, with the guest never needing to go outdoors (so rain is no issue, for example), while taking the gondola from Riviera to any Epcot resort would require a bit of a walk from the Epcot station. It is good access, just not quite as effortless as the monorail resort access.

*Should* be. They are already behind schedule on the monorail per more than one CM I spoke with while I was just there.

Not everyone is allergic to walking.

You clearly love the Grand. That is fine. It is not my cup of tea.

*Should* be. They are already behind schedule on the monorail per more than one CM I spoke with while I was just there.

Not everyone is allergic to walking.

You clearly love the Grand. That is fine. It is not my cup of tea.
Actually I listed pros for both resorts. Just trying to give a clear picture of the advantages of both to the OP. As I stated, using the direct resort to resort monorail route is easier than using the gondola plus walking. That's just a fact, not an opinion. Neither is hard (assuming no mobility issues), but one is simpler and easier, particularly in inclement weather. Both the gondola & monorail can go offline, get backed up, etc. Your opinion on this issue seems a bit biased due to your strong dislike for the Grand. Both Riviera & Grand are great resorts. Signing off from this back & forth.

OP, I think a split stay is a good option if it’s just the two of you.
I’d do 3 nights at the GF and 4 nights at Riviera.

I was watching a video about a RIV stay and they said the beds were horrible. After a long day at the parks, that would definitely be a downer. Anyone have an opinion?

I thought the beds at RIV were incredibly comfortable. We are a family of 3 and I hesitate booking 1-bedroom villas for our family because the pull-out beds in most villas are awful, IMHO. The pull-down beds at RIV were incredibly comfortable and felt more like a real bed. The worst beds I've ever slept on at WDW were at AoA. We had zero complaints about the beds at RIV.

Isn't the GF a higher level than Riveria?
GF is a deluxe resort, and Riviera is a deluxe villa. The main difference is that the rooms at the GF either have 2 regular queen beds, or a king bed. The Riviera has one queen bed and one pull-down queen bed (which is a real queen mattress, not a thin pull-out mattress).

I slept on the regular queen at the Riviera and found it just as comfortable as any other bed at WDW.

The pull-down beds at RIV were incredibly comfortable and felt more like a real bed.

That's because the mattresses on the full and queen size murphy beds ARE regular mattresses. Not sure about the small ones. But the larger ones are regular beds.

We went back and forth, but ultimately chose RIV, not that either would have been a bad pick. Thank you all for your comments
The bonus is that Rivera has he Ratatouille theme and same style building and Ratatouille should be open by then.

We did a split stay last week, 2 nights at GF for MK, then 3 nights at Riviera for Epcot and DHS. Beds at both resorts were extremely comfortable. First time at Riviera and we loved it! The Skyliner was very convenient, Topolino's brunch was excellent, and the whole resort was sparkling clean. OP, I hope you have a great trip!

The only thing that puts us off on the Riviera is relying on the Skyline for Epcot and DHS. My DH will not go on any kind of Gondola (traumatic experience in childhood). GF is in walking distance to MK, and that is a big draw for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter