• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Floridian vs Riveria

Mkripke

Mouseketeer
MY wife and I are planning a week stay this late October and are trying to decide between these two resorts. Can I get some input on which way to lean. Some of the things we are looking for are ease to parks , top picks being Magic Kingdom, Epcot (wine and food fest) and Hollywood Studios. To us, a room is a room. but if you are asking, it is a standard room at GF and a studio in villa section for RR
Thank you

MY wife and I are planning a week stay this late October and are trying to decide between these two resorts. Can I get some input on which way to lean. Some of the things we are looking for are ease to parks , top picks being Magic Kingdom, Epcot (wine and food fest) and Hollywood Studios. To us, a room is a room. but if you are asking, it is a standard room at GF and a studio in villa section for RR
Thank you
Are you interested in doing both? Stay at GF the nights before going to MK and AK, then move to Riviera for your Hollywood and Epcot days? Get to use the monorail or walking path to head over to MK and the skyliner to go to HS and Epcot

Personally, I would do as the last poster said and split my stay - Riviera for Epcot and HS, GF for MK. I also regularly do split stays and moving resorts doesn't bother me. If you'd rather choose one, then I would probably go for Riviera.

I like them both equally. Prefer rooms and QS food at Riviera and prefer that it all one building, but prefer pools and grounds and bar (Enchanted Rose) at GF. But Riviera gives easy access via skyliner to both HS and EP while GF only has monorail/boat to one park (MK), so I guess that is an edge to Riviera.

we stayed at Riviera over the holidays and I loved the resort. we liked traveling via skyliner and the bus service was good as well. we liked topolino's, the quick service, best coffee in the morning, pool area and overall vibe of the resort.

Thank you all for your input. I am sure whichever we choose, it will be amazing as always.

Thank you

That's a tough choice. Overall, I like GF more as a resort. It has more charm, better theme and I think the food is better. You also have the ability to walk to Poly or monorail to CR if you want more variety. RIV is lovely and the rooms are gorgeous, however, though we liked the QS there, Topolino's was just ok for dinner, IMHO and, if the Skyliner goes down (which it does, occasionally), your transportation perk to EP and DHS disappears. In terms of rooms, RIV wins, IMHO, especially with the studio for only 2 people (as long as it isn't a tower studio). You will have a lot more space plus a microwave and full-size coffee maker. If you think you will spend more time at EP and DHS (or if you plan to hop to either of those on multiple afternoons), I think I would give the slight nod to RIV. If you want a better access to EP, I would add BC/YC, BCV and BWV to the list if anything is available.

I was watching a video about a RIV stay and they said the beds were horrible. After a long day at the parks, that would definitely be a downer. Anyone have an opinion?

As long as you stay away from the tower studios at riviera I’d pick riviera. All of the amenities the resort has to offer are great with the food being better here than GF. Having skyliner access to two parks is also a huge plus imo.

I was watching a video about a RIV stay and they said the beds were horrible. After a long day at the parks, that would definitely be a downer. Anyone have an opinion?

I stayed 4 nights about 3 weeks ago in a standard studio, I found the bed extremely comfortable.

Gf has the best bed of all I have tried ( all but SSR). However RR we had the 1 bedroom and even the Murphy was comfortable. So I disagree.
Right now for room RR is nicer because it’s new. GF I prefer the grounds and lobby,

I did enjoy mobile ordering at RR from our room. When it’s ready you just elevator down to get it. At gf you have to walk to the main building which can be a pain with weather at times.

I did RR last Feb and GF last March, Oct and Dec . For us seeing the castle from our resort is important. However I liked the RR room better. I would stay at both again happily, they are great resorts. IMO

Riviera is all villas. There are no hotel rooms since it is a DVC resort. And it is not sold out yet, so it can easily be booked for cash.

Thank you
If you give all 3 parks equal importance, then Riviera is most convenient, because it offers gondola access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the Grand Floridian currently only gives monorail access to Magic Kingdom, and might or might not have monorail access to Epcot by late October. The gondola is more convenient than the monorail to Epcot, anyway.

They are both very nice resorts. If you want a spa, the Grand Floridian has one. If you want a view of the Electric Water Pageant (which is currently running) or Magic Kingdom fireworks (which are not currently going on, but might by October), then Grand Floridian has an advantage. Grand Floridian also has easy access to several good monorail resort restaurants, assuming that those restaurants are reopened by late October (several are currently closed). Riviera has Topolino's Terrace, which is very good. Riviera's pool area also has lovely views of the surrounding areas and the gondolas.

If you give all 3 parks equal importance, then Riviera is most convenient, because it offers gondola access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the Grand Floridian currently only gives monorail access to Magic Kingdom, and might or might not have monorail access to Epcot by late October. The gondola is more convenient than the monorail to Epcot, anyway.

They are both very nice resorts. If you want a spa, the Grand Floridian has one. If you want a view of the Electric Water Pageant (which is currently running) or Magic Kingdom fireworks (which are not currently going on, but might by October), then Grand Floridian has an advantage. Grand Floridian also has easy access to several good monorail resort restaurants, assuming that those restaurants are reopened by late October (several are currently closed). Riviera has Topolino's Terrace, which is very good. Riviera's pool area also has lovely views of the surrounding areas and the gondolas.
So even if you don't have a park ticket, you can watch the electric water pageant?
Hmm.
What time does that start?

So even if you don't have a park ticket, you can watch the electric water pageant?
Hmm.
What time does that start?
Yes. The Electric Water Pageant takes place on Bay Lake and can be viewed from any resort on Bay Lake (Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge). It depends on your room type & location whether you can see it from your room, but you can easily go outside to watch it if necessary. The time varies by resort and possibly time of year (ask at the front desk upon arrival), but it's always in the late evening as it's a lights show.

Last edited:

The gondolas at Riviera give you access to all the restaurants open at Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk - so that balances the monorail restaurants argument.

The gondolas at Riviera give you access to all the restaurants open at Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk - so that balances the monorail restaurants argument.
Yes, it certainly does. That access is not as quick and easy as the Grand's monorail access to Contemporary and Polynesian, though.

Last edited:
Are you interested in doing both? Stay at GF the nights before going to MK and AK, then move to Riviera for your Hollywood and Epcot days? Get to use the monorail or walking path to head over to MK and the skyliner to go to HS and Epcot
We have our reservations for this fall and this is exactly what we are doing. Split stay with MK and AK while at GF and HS and Epcot Party for the Senses while at Riveria.

Yes, it certainly does. That access is not as quick and easy as the Grand's monorail access to Contemporary and Polynesian, though.

Depends on time of day.

Currently there is no Poly monorail access, so you would need to walk from the Grand or take the resort circle bus.

I’ve personally decided on the Riviera for my 50th birthday trip this summer, taking my fate into my own hands. I was booked resort side of the Poly beginning the first day they are accepting reservations, but I decided to make a call rather than wait and have them announce in like June that they are behind and have little say in where they move me based on availability. The Riviera appeals to me. The Grand Floridian does not - feels TOO fancy and stuffy for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter