Florida's Treasure Coast?: A Disney's Vero Beach Resort TR! COMPLETE

Can't wait for more TR and hopefully some pics! :cool1:

We are scheduled to arrive at VB for our first ever stay on October 5...staying for 10 days. :goodvibes So excited! :cheer2:

OurDogCisco said:
Wow... that was fast. I can't believe it is over. Hope the rest of your trip is just as fun!

It was over too fast, but super fun. :)

RSHEALAND said:
Heading to VB next month looking forward to your Trip Report

Thanks! You'll have a blast!

Tink316 said:
Can't wait for more TR and hopefully some pics! :cool1:

We are scheduled to arrive at VB for our first ever stay on October 5...staying for 10 days. :goodvibes So excited! :cheer2:

Oh, I have plenty of pictures! Can't wait to share it with you--I will start the report Monday afternoon when I'm back! You'll have a wonderful trip! 10 days sounds like bliss!

9/4/2012
Traveling and Check-In

Our day started very early...3:45 a.m. to be exact. :crazy2: Chris and I left early enough so we could drive up to the Boston airport from Cape Code, in order to catch our 7:00 a.m. flight. Our flight was uneventful, which is always good, because I am a nervous flyer. We landed in Orlando around 10:00 a.m.. We met up with my parents, who got in about 30 minutes prior from Pittsburgh, so everything was timed out really well. We claimed our baggage and headed for the rental car.

The car ride was also uneventful. The approximate 1 hour and 45 minute ride was good for catching up with my parents, though, who I hadn't seen since April.

Pulling into the resort!
DSC06507.jpg

We arrived at Disney's Vero Beach Resort around noon and headed to the front desk. I was hoping that our room would be ready for us upon arrival, since I utilized the online check-in and entered our arrival time, but no such luck. So, we decided to park our rental car and wander around the resort until the room was ready.

Lobby chandelier
DSC06509.jpg

Island Grove Packing Co. (Gift shop)
DSC06511.jpg

Everything in the main building
DSC06513.jpg

We walked past the pool area and headed straight for the beach. We were in complete awe over the blue sky, blue water, and practically empty white sand beaches. It was gorgeous! :beach:

DSC06527.jpg

DSC06526.jpg

DSC06521.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

With my parents
DSC06530.jpg

With the hubby
DSC06531.jpg

After soaking in the view, we decided to go over to the pool area to grab some lunch. :thumbsup2

To be continued…

9/4/2012
Lunch at Bleachers

We walked over to the pool area and scanned over the menu offerings at Bleachers.

Bleachers - The Quick Service and pool bar at Vero Beach
DSC06533.jpg

DSC06538.jpg

We were given a buzzer for our food, so we walked down by the pool to find a table.

Our view at lunch
DSC06543.jpg

I don't remember what my Daddy ordered…oops, but Chris got the Caribbean Cuban Sandwich and my Mommy and I shared the Tropical Chicken Pita.

My half of the Tropical Chicken Pita
-7.jpg

Parrot Punch - Bartender's special of the day
DSC06544.jpg

My food was really good, especially for a quick service meal. Not dry or flavorless, like some at the parks. I really enjoyed the pineapple in the wrap and the pita bread itself. I heard a lot of positive feedback from the rest of the group, too. :goodvibes We even started to plan what we'd order the next day!

As we digested, I looked around and fell in love with the little details and puns Disney placed around the pool area. I couldn't get over these signs.:

Fitness Center
DSC06540.jpg

Restrooms
DSC06542.jpg

Sauna
DSC06541.jpg

After lunch, we decided to walk down and explore the other end of the property. Disney's Vero Beach is much smaller than I thought it was going to be, but I liked that it was easy to navigate. Chris loved the fact it was smaller--He likes to constantly remind me that our last resort stay (Caribbean Beach) was a pain to walk around. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on our walk, we stumbled upon the cool sign that points to all the different DVC resorts, minus Aulani. I had to snag a picture pointing to my favorite, Wilderness Lodge!:

Only 116 miles away!
DSC06546.jpg

By now it was around 3:00 p.m., and we were getting super anxious to be assigned a room. We walked back to vacation home 15, where we were told our room was going to be, and called the front desk. They told us that Mousekeeping just finished our room and that we could head up to room #1523. Hooray! :cool1:

To be continued…

9/4/2012
Our 2-Bedroom Villa #1523

We went to the rental car, pulled out our luggage, and then took the elevator up to the 2nd floor. I thought the buildings were set up quite cleverly. The ground floor is actually a covered garage with three floors of resort rooms stacked above that.

View of the garage [bottom level] from the first floor
DSC06547.jpg

The vacation village is shaped like a big rectangle, with all sorts of lush greenery in the middle. It was so pretty.

Landscaping in the middle
DSC06548.jpg

We arrived on the second floor and found our room. I was so excited to see what was behind the door, since we had never stayed in a villa before! The front desk had told us that we had one of the biggest style rooms on property and that it was awesome (aside from the 3-bedroom, of course). In we went!

DSC06574.jpg

DSC06573.jpg

The first set of doors on the left led you into the master bath (shower and tub), which was also connected to the King Bedroom. Chris and I claimed this room for ourselves. :upsidedow

DSC06566.jpg

DSC06567.jpg

DSC06549.jpg

Lobster towel
DSC06553.jpg

What's that in the window?
DSC06551.jpg

Yes, Chris climbed inside the tub…
DSC06550.jpg

But it was pretty epic
DSC06568.jpg

I walked across the hall to my parents room to see what their layout looked like. The second bedroom was just as nice as the first. They were quite happy.

DSC06555.jpg

DSC06557.jpg

Turtle towel
DSC06558.jpg

DSC06556.jpg

Once we put our bags down, we walked into the common area to see the rest of the place.

Living room
DSC06559.jpg

Kitchenette
DSC06560.jpg

Dining
DSC06561.jpg

Back porch
DSC06572.jpg

We were in love with this 2-bedroom villa. We hadn't even been in the room for more than 10 minutes when my parents decided we had to book a 2-bedroom the next time we went to Disney! :thumbsup2

After we soaked in some of the A.C. from our room, we decided to change and head down to the beach!

To be continued…

9/4/2012
Beach Day

We all changed into our beach gear and headed down to the water. The beach was still very empty--I was so surprised! Going right after Labor Day was a great choice. :thumbsup2 We walked up the left side of the beach, put our stuff under an umbrella, and headed for the water. The sand was soft and the water as warm as a bath, however there were a lot of rip current warnings, so we only waded in about halfway.

DSC06576.jpg

DSC06577.jpg

DSC06580.jpg

DSC06583.jpg

After about an hour of battling the ocean waves, we headed back up to our stuff and sat under some of the umbrella chairs. We dried off in minutes and then let the ocean waves lull us into a peaceful state-of-mind.

DSC06584.jpg

My mother was so relaxed that she fell asleep!
DSC06586.jpg

We stayed out on the chairs until some Cast Members told us they were going to start cleaning up all the rental equipment at 5:00 p.m.. We thought it would be best to start and pack up now anyways, because we saw a pretty ugly looking storm heading our way. :eek:

Yikes!
stormpanorama.jpg

We headed back to our room and right as we got inside it began to pour! Couldn't have timed that out better. We had to start thinking about getting ready for our 6:20 p.m. dinner reservation at Shutters, so I hopped in the shower and Chris broke in that whirlpool tub. Yes, he even used the jets. :rotfl:

To be continued…

9/4/2012
Dinner at Shutters

Once the rain let up a bit, we headed over to the main building for our dinner at Shutters. They pulled up our reservation and seated us right away.

-1.jpg

The restaurant only had about 5 other tables filled, so it was a nice relaxing and casual atmosphere. The decor was great--The walls were filled with signs, fish, and storm shutters.

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06591.jpg

The infamous shutters of Shutters
DSC06608.jpg

We were waited on by enthusiastic Cast Member, Nellie. She was a hoot and cracked jokes with us the entire time. We perused the menu, placed our orders, and then took a couple family pictures.

Chris and my Daddy
DSC06599.jpg

Mommy and me
DSC06600.jpg

Three out of the four entrees made it out in a timely manner, however there was a little goof-up with Daddy's meal. He ordered a special plate of Shrimp and Grits, but instead received a second salad. He eventually got his meal, which was apparently good, but I didn't snag a picture.

Mickey butter
DSC06604.jpg

Cornbread and rolls
DSC06605.jpg

New Orleans Style Calamari
DSC06606.jpg

Pirate's Booty - My meal
DSC06610.jpg

Special of the Day: Crab Cakes topped with Shrimp - Mommy's meal
DSC06612.jpg

Oak Grilled Flat Iron Steak - Chris' Meal
DSC06613.jpg

My Pirate's Booty was so delicious! pirate: I will only eat seafood if it's fried (or raw sushi), so this was perfect. The only complaint I had was the portion size--It was huge. My favorite thing on the plate were the Conch Fritters, mmm.

We didn't know if we could fit in dessert, but it was vacation, so we ordered it anyways.

Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake
DSC06614.jpg

Key Lime Pie
DSC06615.jpg

I took a few bites of each dessert, and of course, they were both as good as they look. The only thing I felt the cheesecake could have benefited from was having a graham-cracker crust, but that's just the way I like my cheesecake.

We rolled out of the restaurant full and happy and then we stopped for a family picture opportunity.

DSC06616.jpg

We continued on to the end of the hallway to see what else was in the main building. There ended up being a little art gallery, so we took a few minutes to admire the work. A lot of the display was on the history of early Vero Beach, but there were also a few Disney-esque items on view.

A quote from the gallery
DSC06618.jpg

From here, we decided to head back to our room and change into PJs. Chris turned in early, while the rest of us started to watch the Hunger Games movie in the living room. None of us made it through the movie, so we decided to call it a night. :upsidedow

To be continued…

Oh, and here's the dinner menu we had from Shutters, in case anyone is interested...

Shutters Dinner Menu (from 9/4/2012)

~STARTERS~
Shutters Conch Chowder $5.49

Soup of the Day $5.49

Spinach and Artichoke Dip - mixed with blend of cheeses served with warm tortilla chips $6.49

New Orleans Style Calamari - cajun remoulade sauce, fried capers $9.99

Shrimp Cocktail - green papaya slaw and mango wasabi mayo $9.99

Sweet Thai Chili Rock Shrimp - green papaya slaw $10.00

Caribbean Conch Fritters - cilantro cream sauce $10.49

Crab Cakes - crunchy slaw and chipotle aioli $11.49

Caesar Salad - hearts of romaine, garlic croutons, parmesan cheese $5.49

Iceberg Wedge - blue cheese dressing, diced tomato, crumbled blue, chives, bacon $5.49

~FLATBREADS~
Four Cheese Flatbread - marscapone, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan $11.99

Cheeseburger Flatbread - ketchup, mustard, ground beef, onion, pickles, american cheese $11.99

Sweet Italian Sausage Flatbread - marinara, roasted peppers, onions, mozzarella cheese $12.99

Shrimp Scampi Flatbread - shrimp, candied garlic, artichokes, mozzarella cheese $13.99

Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - red onion, pepper jack cheese, cilantro $12.99

~SHUTTERS STEAMER BUCKETS~
(Prepared in a Yuengling beer boil with Old Bay spices)

Prince Edward Island Mussels - 1 pound $14.99

Peel and Eat Shrimp - 1 pound $14.99

Middleneck Clams - 1 dozen $14.99

~SEAFOOD SPECIALTIES~
Shutters Seafood Boil
- peel and eat shrimp, middle neck clams, mussels, snow crab legs, sausage, red potatoes, corn on the cob $26.99

The Pirate's Booty - crispy beer battered haddock, fried shrimp, conch fritters, french fries, vegetable slaw, key lime remoulade $19.49

Asian Glazed Salmon Salad - mixed greens julienne carrots, shaved red onion, mandarine oranges, toasted cashews, ginger dressing $16.99

Citrus Infused Shrimp Scampi - linguine noodles, citrus and roasted garlic butter, white wine, grilled crostini $18.99

~ENTREES~
Oak Grilled Flat Iron Steak
- sweet potato gratin, grilled asparagus, blood orange demi glaze $18.99

Field Green Salad - field greens, dried cranberries, candied pecans, shaved red onion, crumbled blue, and zinfandel vinaigrette $7.99

Spit Fired Rotisserie Half Chicken - yukon gold whipped potatoes, sauteed spinach, pearl onion chicken jus $15.99

Slow Cooked Beef Pot Roast - yukon gold whipped potatoes, honey glazed carrots and haricot verts, beef gravy, crispy onion straws $17.99

Tropical Jerk Chicken Pasta - penne pasta, roasted peppers, onions, black beans, plantains, jerk coconut cream, pineapple salsa $17.99

Guava Barbecued Spare Ribs - cuban style black beans, rice, sweet plantains $20.99

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger - cheddar cheese and bacon served with vegetable slaw or french fries $12.99

9/5/2012
Sunrise

I woke up feeling well rested and looked at my phone to check the time, which read 6:40 a.m.! :eek: I couldn't believe I was actually awake this early, but instead of going back to sleep, I had the brilliant realization that we were on the East coast of Florida and the sun would rise on the ocean. :idea: I checked my Weather Channel app and found out the sunrise was going to be happening at 7:04 a.m.. I got up, threw on some clothes, and woke everyone else up. They weren't too happy, but they followed me down to the beach, anyways.

When we got to the beach, I spotted one of the turtle conservationists checking on the nests.

Turtle conservationist
DSC06620.jpg

A small group gathered around while he talked. I'm assuming this was one of the Turtle Troops? :confused3 We kept our distance, but my Mommy was itching to go over. By the time she worked up the courage to go over, they had dispersed. Oh well, better luck next time.

Anyways, we kept waiting for that sunrise. It was kind of a cloudy morning, but it was still beautiful.

DSC06627.jpg

DSC06625.jpg

DSC06630.jpg

DSC06636.jpg

After the sun popped up over the horizon, we decided to walk along the water and look at some of the marked sea turtle nests.

DSC06638.jpg

DSC06639.jpg

DSC06642.jpg

DSC06646.jpg

Beginning of a new day
DSC06649.jpg

Once we got our fill of the sunrise, we decided to come up with our plans for the day. Daddy was heading over to the fitness center early, so we decided to meet for breakfast around 9:30 a.m..

To be continued…

Wow. Thanks so much for the TR. It is wonderful. I haven't seen many of them and now you make me want to go there terribly. :lmao:

Oh well, We will make it one day. Can't wait to read more.

Tinks "SS";46138059 said:
Wow. Thanks so much for the TR. It is wonderful. I haven't seen many of them and now you make me want to go there terribly. :lmao:

Oh well, We will make it one day. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks for reading along! :thumbsup2
Hope you can get to VB someday--it really is a great vacation experience. :)

9/5/2012
Breakfast at Shutters

By the time we all got cleaned up and ready for the day, it was time to meet up for breakfast at Shutters! On our way over to the main building, I paused to take note of some of the little details that were around the resort. Love that Disney touch! :wizard:

Hidden Mickey in the fence
DSC06652.jpg

Describing Turtles
DSC06653.jpg

Describing why it's called the Florida Treasure Coast
DSC06654.jpg

We didn't have a reservation of any kind, but the restaurant was pretty empty so it didn't matter. We were seated immediately, this time in the sunroom area. We looked over the menu and made our decisions quickly. I ordered the Pina Colada Pancakes topped with pineapple, coconut shavings and rum-maple syrup, plus a side of bacon. My Mommy had the Frittata which had asparagus, cheese, and potatoes baked in the egg. Chris had Eggs Benedict with sausage on the side. And once again, I cannot remember what my Daddy ordered. His food selections are just not memorable, I guess. :p

Pina Colada Pancakes
DSC06655.jpg

Frittata
DSC06656.jpg

Oh. My. Goodness. :tongue: The pancakes were out of this world. I'm not a fan of eating warm fruit (especially pineapple from a horrifying childhood experience), but this meal was fabulous. I wish I had some right now, mmmm.

After we finished eating, we decided to head back to our room to get our swim gear on. We were just about to our vacation village when we spotted something in the pathway…it was a crab!

DSC06657.jpg

DSC06658.jpg

DSC06662.jpg

He was a pretty big guy, too. After a few pictures, he crab-walked across the path and into the bushes. I have never seen a crab like that in the wild before--it was pretty neat!

To be continued…

9/5/2012
Pool Day

We originally headed to the beach first, but the waves were so strong that I couldn't stay upright. I ended up getting devoured by a wave and then spit back onto shore. :faint: (Saltwater up the nose included). We dried out on some beach towels and then decided to go to the pool.

Drying off
DSC06663.jpg

We got to the pool right as they were starting the game, "what do you bring to the pool?". The Cast Members would ask for specific items and then guests in the pool would have to grab the item and take it up to them to receive a prize. They asked for items like, a key card with charging privileges, something with a princess on it, a refillable mug, something from the parks, etc.. It was really fun to watch kids and adults race for the prizes. After the game was over, all the children disappeared! :scratchin We decided this would be the perfect time to go down the slide.

Chris' turn
DSC06664.jpg

DSC06674.jpg

My turn
DSC06666.jpg

DSC06667.jpg

Daddy's turn
DSC06669.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

The slide was super-duper fun! One of the best parts of the slide was the view from the top. It looked out between a set of parted palm trees and right into the ocean…spectacular!

Hidden Mickey in the slide
DSC06675.jpg

By now, another ugly storm cloud started to roll-in, so we decided to pack up and head back to the room. However, we couldn't leave until we snapped these pics. I'm such a sucker for any sort of face-in-hole pictures, haha. :rotfl2:

DSC06676.jpg

DSC06677.jpg

To be continued…

9/5/2012
Mini-Golf & Peter Pan Tunnel

We decided to pick up where we left off the night before and finish the rest of the Hunger Games movie until the storm passed. Once everything blew over, we thought we'd try and squeeze in a round of mini-golf before we started thinking about dinner plans. We headed to Eb & Flo's, down by the pool, to rent the putters and balls. The Port Holes mini-golf course is 9 holes themed after Peter Pan. It was actually a challenging course! Some of the obstacles are not what they seem to be, either. pixiedust:

DSC06679.jpg

DSC06680.jpg

Never smile at a crocodile...
DSC06683.jpg

DSC06688.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

Never grin at anything with a fin...
DSC06693.jpg

DSC06694.jpg

In the end, our scores were:
Me - 40 (super embarrassing.) :blush:
Chris - 30
Mommy - 28
Daddy - 26

From here, we went out the entrance nearest to Eb & Flo's and decided to explore a little more of the resort. We took the underground tunnel over to the tennis court / basketball area. The place was completely deserted and actually kind of eerie. :scared: The tunnel kept playing the song, "Never Smile at a Crocodile" on repeat. I'm sure it would have been better with other guests around, but it just felt out of place.

Peter Pan tunnel
DSC06698.jpg

DSC06697.jpg

DSC06696.jpg

Anyways, down by the other recreational areas was this pretty water feature, which we admired for a few minutes.

DSC06695.jpg

Then we decided to turn around and head back to our room, because another thunderstorm was heading our way! :rolleyes:

To be continued…

9/5/2012
Dinner at the Green Cabin Room

We decided to get cleaned up and try to head to dinner around 5:30 p.m.. I suggested we just go to the Green Cabin Room for some drinks and appetizers, since we had a couple of very filling meals in the past 24 hours.

DSC06709.jpg

The GCR on the 2nd floor of the main building
DSC06711.jpg

We ended up being the only group in the lounge for about an hour or so, but we didn't mind. We sat near one of the t.v.'s in the corner and started out with some appetizers. We ordered some Conch Fritters and Chicken Wings for the table. I ended up being hungrier than I thought I would be, so I ordered the Oak-Grilled Cheeseburger with housemade chips. The burger was just alright…a little on the dry side, but cooked the way I like it. The housemade chips are always fantastic, no matter what Disney resort you get them at. Sorry, no food pictures this time.

Chris with his whiskey
DSC06705.jpg

My Very Berry Cocktail
DSC06700.jpg

When we finished, we stepped outside onto the patio and admired the view.

DSC06706.jpg

DSC06708.jpg

We walked downstairs and then made a big mistake…We spent a few minutes taking pictures outside at dusk and the No-See-Ums got us. :crazy2: We all ended up with crazy bites all up and down our arms and legs. So a warning to future vacationers: pack insect repellant!

Getting bit by No-See-Ums
DSC06712.jpg

I mean, taking a nice picture…
DSC06714.jpg

We walked back to the villa, watched a couple episodes of Honey Boo Boo, and then went to sleep. We had to depart Disney's Vero Beach Resort in the morning. :sad:

To be continued…

9/6/2012
Departure

I had another great sleep, but morning rolled around too quickly. Check-out wasn't until 11:00, so we thought we'd take our time, pack, and watch some t.v. before heading over to the West coast of Florida for the rest of our trip. I also had to make a quick stop over in the gift shop before we left to purchase some Vero Beach goodies. I had my heart set on a Vero Beach pin, because I have a pin from every Disney resort I've stayed in, but they were out of stock! :confused: The Cast Members said that they never received them in shipment, so they suspect the design is being redone. I ended up purchasing this ladies tee, though, which is cute and comfy.

Vero Beach T-Shirt
-7copy.jpg

I went back to our villa, grabbed the bags, and loaded up the rental car. Then we snapped a couple pictures before we left:

Our villa from the outside (2nd floor)
-4.jpg

-6.jpg

-8.jpg

We got in the car and left the resort around 10:00 a.m.. :(

Our first visit to Disney's Vero Beach Resort had flown by, but it was a magnificent vacation experience. :wizard:

{I just wanted to share that this is the last post that is directly related to my Vero Beach TR, however I have a couple more things that I'd like to share with you all. I've compiled a general breakdown of costs, a 'glad I did / wish I had' list, and a couple other vacation activities we did in Florida. I hope you all will stick around for those too! If not, thanks for joining! :hug: -D}

The End

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter