Florida visitor toll pass?

Do you need to enter the license plate of the rental car on the Visitor Toll Pass Ap or is just hanging it on the mirror enough to pay the tolls.? We are planning on driving from MCO to St Augustine Beach, using 417 1-4 and 1-95 in a Dollar rental. I have a EZ Pass from NY , but the web sites are confusing if it will work in the interstates. Do I need to tell Dollar that we are not using their toll plan. I was hoping to pick up my car in the garage and skip the counter.

Thank you
I think it's required to enter a license plate numbe in the app, but it's quick to do so.

When I used Visitor Toll Pass in January, we actually had 2 rentals during our trip -- one the night before our cruise, and the other for a day and a half after our cruise. I entered the start and end dates for the entire trip, and entered the plate for the rental car when we go it. After we returned the first rental, I changed the license plate number to my car at home (which was definitely not going through toll booths in Florida) to make sure the next person renting the car couldn't use the Pass. Then I updated the plate number when we got the second rental.

I do have an EZ Pass, but figured the hassle of detaching it from my car, sticking it into the rental car(s), removing it, and reattaching it at home, plus the risk of leaving it somewhere, were greater than the inconvenience of spending a minute or so on the VTP app a few times.

I would recommend declining the toll plan from Dollar and taking the few minutes needed to find the VTP kiosks when you rent and return the car.

I never entered the license plate number in the app (*one exception, below), and always got an e-mail from VTP after going through my first toll that the car was linked to my VTP session.

*During our last trip, in February, I did enter the plate in the app. Coincidentally, I got a bill from Hertz some time after the return, a charge for unpaid tolls. I reported this to VTP, who immediately credited me that charge and (presumably) took it up with Hertz. I'm totally satisfied with VTP's customer service, and would not hesitate to use them during my next trip.

My advice would be to not buy it from the rental car desk, but find a place that sells it and go right there from the airport. It will be a small fee, but you will save that much on one trip.

Thank you for all the info on the pass. We are flying into C, so it looks like we are walking to terminal A to pick up a tag rather than B.
Does anyone know if it matters what side you pick you car up on. It just says in terminal , but I did enter Jet Blue as my airline .

Thank you for all the info on the pass. We are flying into C, so it looks like we are walking to terminal A to pick up a tag rather than B.
Does anyone know if it matters what side you pick you car up on. It just says in terminal , but I did enter Jet Blue as my airline .
There are rental car pick-ups and drop-offs in both A and B terminals. It doesn’t matter which one you use. Just make sure your rental car company offers in-terminal pickup; some of the discount companies require a shuttle ride to an offsite office.

I brought my e-zpass with me last May and did not register it to the rental. One of the booths picked it up and the other one did not causing me to pay extra charges. Remember to register your rental if taking your personal transponder!

Can you pick up a VTP at Disney's Car Care Center? I will be picking up a car there, and returning it to the airport.

Can you pick up a VTP at Disney's Car Care Center? I will be picking up a car there, and returning it to the airport.
No. Only at MCO Terminal A. You could pick up at the airport on the way out, I imagine, then return it when you return.

Oh of course. I should have added more detail:
Flying into MCO on day 1. Pickup up car at CCC on day 4. Returning to MCO on Day 7.

So, I don't necessarily have to be renting the car right away, I guess? I don't need any rental info when pickup up the tag?

Just found this
"Visitor Toll Pass™ is currently only able to serve customers who are picking up and dropping off a rental car at the Orlando International Airport."

Oh of course. I should have added more detail:
Flying into MCO on day 1. Pickup up car at CCC on day 4. Returning to MCO on Day 7.

So, I don't necessarily have to be renting the car right away, I guess? I don't need any rental info when pickup up the tag?
We don't actually know if it will work. The VTP has said in the past that the pass is activated when leaving the rental car garage. It also says that it only works when renting from the 10 companies that have their cars in the garage at MCO. So it shouldn't work, but may. I would bring my own transponder or pay the fees on the rental rather than risk it.

National/Alamo charges $3.95 fee per usage day plus tolls. I'll only be using it the one day I drive back to the airport. I think that's worth not schlepping my EZPass down for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter