Florida Tolls Timesaver idea

pooh_mania

Mouseketeer
I really dislike all the stop & go with the tolls ever few miles. If you want to avoid it, you can buy a mini SunPass prepaid toll transponder online or at Publix or CVS stores in Florida. It cost $4.99, but you get $4.99 toll credit when you activate the card.

We just stopped at a CVS when we got into Florida, bought a mini-SunPass, called to activate it and were good to go! We just zipped through all those tolls in the fast pass lane! It was great!! There's no getting around those Florida tolls, but you dont have to stop! :banana:

So you get the $4.99 back in credit on the mini-pass? This is a very good idea, I hate the stop and go also. My daughter has the $25 transponder that can be moved from her car to her sisters, but I think this mini would work for me as I am the one driving to FL while those two live in my "southern home" I don't think that we received any credit when we purchased that one for her car. Do you know if you have to keep a minimum balance on the mini and do they charge for non-usage say when you are unlucky enough to go back home for a few months?

Great idea! Is there an expiration date for the pass? I make a couple trips a year and wondering if it would be good for both trips?

And do you have the link where you can get it online?

Thanks again for the tip!

I'm not sure about a non-active fee. You do get $4.99 credit, so the transponder is basically free. I just added $10.01 credit to start ($15 value on my card). You can have auto reload or not. Auto reload triggers below $5 balance I think. The card is non-transferrable, only valid for one vehicle. Google Florida SunPass for the official website.

Does anyone know how many tolls booths (cost) you pass going to Disney from I-75, then to Port Canaveral, back to Disney again, then back up to I-75? I would like to know aprox how much I would need to put on the sunpass.

Does anyone know how many tolls booths (cost) you pass going to Disney from I-75, then to Port Canaveral, back to Disney again, then back up to I-75? I would like to know aprox how much I would need to put on the sunpass.

We went from West Palm Beach to WDW and it was about $13.00 or so. From WDW to PC we always take 417 and it as about $7.00 more (thought I am not sure on that one).

I just found this site but I can't get it to work...not sure if it because I am on a Mac or what...

http://turnpikeinfo.com/florida/tolls/tollRateSp.php

MJ

I'm not sure about a non-active fee. You do get $4.99 credit, so the transponder is basically free. I just added $10.01 credit to start ($15 value on my card). You can have auto reload or not. Auto reload triggers below $5 balance I think. The card is non-transferrable, only valid for one vehicle. Google Florida SunPass for the official website.

This is obviously only for those who drive their vehicles to Florida, and not for people who rent a car at the airport.

This is obviously only for those who drive their vehicles to Florida, and not for people who rent a car at the airport.

Why can't people who rent a car use it? We are often in Florida for a week or two when we go on the cruise and I would love to have a SunPass to use when I am there. I could see it not making it worthwhile if you are strictly going from MCO to the port (as we hardly encounter long toll lines) and you would have to stop at a Publix or CVS on the way but I can see how having this would appeal to some).

MJ

I think the $4.99 offer for credits expires 30 days from purchase. Meaning you would need to register within that 30 dy period if I am reading this right. I do not believe that there is an expiration on the mini pass itself

Why can't people who rent a car use it? We are often in Florida for a week or two when we go on the cruise and I would love to have a SunPass to use when I am there. I could see it not making it worthwhile if you are strictly going from MCO to the port (as we hardly encounter long toll lines) and you would have to stop at a Publix or CVS on the way but I can see how having this would appeal to some).

MJ

YOu can't use the mini sunpass since it's only good for 1 car and can't be transferred. You have to register the car when you register your mini sunpass.
The regular sunpass can be transferred from car to car, and you have to add the cars you will be driving to the account. So I guess you could have the regular one and just call and add the rental car before you leave the parking lot.

YOu can't use the mini sunpass since it's only good for 1 car and can't be transferred. You have to register the car when you register your mini sunpass.
The regular sunpass can be transferred from car to car, and you have to add the cars you will be driving to the account. So I guess you could have the regular one and just call and add the rental car before you leave the parking lot.

But you *could* use it for a rental car, couldn't you, if you felt it was worth it for your length of stay? Meaning: You could buy it, register it to the rental car and remove/deactivate it when you turn the car in. It sounds like you'd need to be driving on a lot of toll roads to make it worthwhile to do that, but there's no "rule" prohibiting it, right?

But you *could* use it for a rental car, couldn't you, if you felt it was worth it for your length of stay? Meaning: You could buy it, register it to the rental car and remove/deactivate it when you turn the car in. It sounds like you'd need to be driving on a lot of toll roads to make it worthwhile to do that, but there's no "rule" prohibiting it, right?

If you know you will be using the entire amount on the mini pass it could be worthwhile. I was mentioning that the mini pass can't be transferred from car to car for subsequent rental cars in FL.

The mini sunpass is a sticker which makes it hard to transfer between cars, you could perhaps put it in a plastic pouch and hang it from your rearview mirror.

In practice you dont have to have your sunpass transponder in the car it is registered to, so if you figure a way to move it between cars you don't have to go into your account everytime and update the vehicle information. My wifes transponder is still registered to a car she had 6 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter