Florida Sun Pass

queenofthehive

DIS Veteran
I am purchasing a Florida Sun Pass this trip. I will be taking the 417 rd from I-4 down to I-4 at Disney World (where you pass over I-4 by the Gaylord resort). I recently heard that the tolls have increased. Does anyway know how much I would need on my pass for a round trip using this route? Also, where on your windshield is the best place to "stick" your pass? Thank you!

There are directions in the packaging and on the sunpass site. Some cars are different than others.

I don't know what your tolls will be, but I'd bring some singles and quarters. If you need the exact amount and know what roads you'll be traveling, you can find that info online.

I am purchasing a Florida Sun Pass this trip. I will be taking the 417 rd from I-4 down to I-4 at Disney World (where you pass over I-4 by the Gaylord resort). I recently heard that the tolls have increased. Does anyway know how much I would need on my pass for a round trip using this route? Also, where on your windshield is the best place to "stick" your pass? Thank you!
I have my EPass behind my rearview mirror so the transponder reads it.

Where are you getting on 417?

We love our SunPass!
I am unsure of where you are buying it, but ours was not effective immediately. Next morning, I think.
The tolls did go up, but you still save having the pass. Once you set it up, you can select the exits and see the tolls. You can also choose auto refill for a certain amount. There are so many toll roads around Orlando, you may find you need more funds than just the route mentioned.
It is great not having to bother with money, or stopping at a booth.

Wow, that is good to know. I thought of purchasing mine at CVS before I hit the 417. I did not know you had a wait a day before it was activated - might change things.. I hate having to dig up quarters and change at the toll stops. Thanks for the help!

You don't have to wait at all. Once you've registered it online (or over the phone, if they still do that), you can drive through the Sunpass lane. The machine will honk at you and it will turn red, but it will be processed correctly. Don't worry about the buzzing and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't stop!

If the machine is still buzzing after 24 hours have passed, give them a call.

But you don't have to wait. Once it is registered, you're good to go.

I don't know where all they sell them, but you can get them at Publix, too.

Don't put it too high on your windshield. It can't be in the shaded area. We had ours behind the rear-view mirror, but had to shift it down a couple of inches so it could be read.

as far as tolls increasing, I believe it was just on the FL Turnpike so that wouldn't affect the 417, 429, 528, or 408.

But, why chose to take the 417? Just want the scenic route? Planning on coming in about 7-9am or 4-6pm?

It's pretty expensive going around that way. It's $6.50 from I-4 in Sanford to the Osceola Pkwy near Disney.

as far as tolls increasing, I believe it was just on the FL Turnpike so that wouldn't affect the 417, 429, 528, or 408.

But, why chose to take the 417? Just want the scenic route? Planning on coming in about 7-9am or 4-6pm?

It's pretty expensive going around that way. It's $6.50 from I-4 in Sanford to the Osceola Pkwy near Disney.

Actually it did go up on the others. SunPass gives you a discount on each toll though. I think they went up a quarter.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2012/6/25/tolls_increase_acros.html

Actually it did go up on the others. SunPass gives you a discount on each toll though. I think they went up a quarter.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2012/6/25/tolls_increase_acros.html

Ah, I see the part of the 417 that's in Seminole County is operated by the FL Turnpike. The sections run by the Orange County Expressway Authority (most of 417, the 408, the 429) haven't been affected yet.

And, yeah, love my SunPass. My $1.00 each way toll is remaining that way (get the $0.50 charge at the Turnpike and I-4 instead of the $0.75 cash toll)

Still kills me how Orlando has so many doggone toll roads. No other city this side of the Mississippi (except Chicago and the NYC area) has tolls like this. There are a couple of spots in Tampa and Miami but nowhere else is widespread in tolls in the metro area like here.

Useful info from the FAQ about rental cars:

1. What if I’m driving a rental car and missed a toll?
A: Most major rental car companies now offer their customers the option of including tolls with the credit card used to rent the vehicle. These rental car customers can use Florida's toll roads and not worry about carrying cash or stopping to pay for tolls. Using license plate recognition systems allows rental car customers to use the Express, SunPass ONLY, EPASS ONLY and LeeWay ONLY lanes to bypass congestion and traffic.

Useful info from the FAQ about rental cars:

People need to watch with that, though.

Some of these car rental companies will charge you DAILY to use it, even if you only use it driving to/from the airport. They charge like $2.50 - $10.00 a day, too. And that charge is IN ADDITION TO the tolls, for which they still charge you.

So if you are staying ten days and only use it driving to the airport and back...and they charge you $5/day, you are paying $50 for the privilege of not paying the tolls in cash on those two days...and you still get charged for the tolls.

Just a word to the wise there.

Does EZ pass work for Florida toll roads? If not, if I order the Sun pass online will get it with in two weeks before we leave for vacation?

People need to watch with that, though.

Some of these car rental companies will charge you DAILY to use it, even if you only use it driving to/from the airport. They charge like $2.50 - $10.00 a day, too. And that charge is IN ADDITION TO the tolls, for which they still charge you.

So if you are staying ten days and only use it driving to the airport and back...and they charge you $5/day, you are paying $50 for the privilege of not paying the tolls in cash on those two days...and you still get charged for the tolls.

Just a word to the wise there.

Yes, and in addition, on my last trip I paid every single toll with ca$h , to avoid this fee..... but one of the tolls registered through the Sun-pass, even though I paid cash, and charged me $2.50 per day and the toll also.
I was completely aggravated, had this ridiculous stack of receipts and didn't even bother fighting this through the rental company. I figured I'd just pay the 15$, and save myself the trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter