Florida residents rates should be available to all....

knyisles

Long Island Fun
Believe me - I am happy for those of you who live in Florida and receive Florida residents rates - good for you - however.....it is very frustrating for the rest of us who book more than a year in advance, have to pay the deposit at the time of booking, have to pay in full months before the cruise, only to find out someone who happens to live in the state of Florida - can book the exact cruise in a better category than you - for less money than you paid more than a year ago....Now I understand there may be room on the ship and Disney may be looking to fill the ship...but those discounted rates should be available for all to book at the last minute - not just those who live in Florida....I know I would take full advantage of those rates....which is why it frustrates me to see people get better cabins, pay less, and lay the money out only weeks before they cruise when I had to plan more than a year in advance, be without the money for many months, and have to settle for a cat 10/11/12...just my opinion....but does anyone else feel my pain? I know you get what is left and leave it to chance to grab one of these discounted cruises....but it should be made available to all - that is all I mean...

disney has a discount available to all called magical rates. like fla res rates they are only availble at certain times and you have to keep your eyes and EARS out for them. they are sometimes posted oh the dcl web site but they go fast just like fla res rates. i have sailed on both magical rates and fla res rates. both bookings had to have a deposit and be paid in full 90 days before sailing. Good luck :)

I do understand your pain, but I believe they have to do it this way. If they released them to all, anyone who had a cruise booked could get the lower disocunted fare. They would have a lot of refunding to do!! Most lines do it this way, giving discounted rates to those close to where the ship is sailing from. I haven't seen 55+ rates with DCL though. :confused3

:confused3
We Florida residents probably get discounts because we frequent the WDW resort (parks and hotels) more often that out of Staters. They probably figure that its more likely that we will cruise more often than others since we are so close in the vicinity so they offer a discount as a way of getting their neighbors to visit their theme parks and cruises more often. Maybe its a loyalty thing. Dunno? We've already visited WDW 3 times this year and stayed at their resorts.

I did book my cruise as recent as April of this year but it did take me almost 2 years of saving, income tax money, overtime, etc... So I feel that it hurts me just the same. Disney cruises are among the most expensive out there. For example, our family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children in a category 9 was costing us $3,555.00 and its not what I would call the best rooms in the house if you know what I mean. My DH decided to pitch in an extra $300 to upgrade us to the 5th floor. Now, we still dont have a veranda and we dont have a suite. We are in a porthole room and thats the most we could afford.
I recently called in because they almost got away with not giving us a discount and requested it to find a credit was available.

Now, I feel what you're saying. We are equal and we all work just as hard for these vacations. But it is what it is. I'm in a porthole room when some out of staters may have the ability to afford The Walter E. and Roy O. suites. In the end, I feel that my discount put things at a more reasonable level for us. Had we booked the room as early as a year ago we surely would have gotten a much better price. I hope you can find an offer out there that you can use towards your reservation. If not, then at least you received a better rate for booking early.

Sending some pixie dust your way.... Best of Luck! pixiedust:

Terry

TerryCRZ said:
:confused3

For example, our family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children in a category 9 was costing us $3,555.00 and its not what I would call the best rooms in the house if you know what I mean. pixiedust:

Terry

And your homeowner's insurance is probably more than the cost of your cruise, right? I'd swap a FL resident rate for anyone else's homeowners insurance. Thats off topic, I know, but as mom always said, life isn't fair. It's not for all sailings, I'm a FL resident and no discount was offered so we sail soon, Cat 12.

Yup, my Dad's homeowners (he lives on the gulf coast) was about the same as my secret porthole in July....that said, he does get to live in a pretty beautiful place. The real answer, if we don't like not being FLA residents, move...(flameproof suite donned)
I think that is what Barb (of castawayclub fame) did
Barb
PS Perhaps it would be easier (and cheaper) to become a travel agent and get those rates....

knyisles said:
Believe me - I am happy for those of you who live in Florida and receive Florida residents rates - good for you - however.....it is very frustrating for the rest of us who book more than a year in advance, have to pay the deposit at the time of booking, have to pay in full months before the cruise, only to find out someone who happens to live in the state of Florida - can book the exact cruise in a better category than you - for less money than you paid more than a year ago....Now I understand there may be room on the ship and Disney may be looking to fill the ship...but those discounted rates should be available for all to book at the last minute - not just those who live in Florida....I know I would take full advantage of those rates....which is why it frustrates me to see people get better cabins, pay less, and lay the money out only weeks before they cruise when I had to plan more than a year in advance, be without the money for many months, and have to settle for a cat 10/11/12...just my opinion....but does anyone else feel my pain? I know you get what is left and leave it to chance to grab one of these discounted cruises....but it should be made available to all - that is all I mean...
My family did book our cruise 16 months before our cruise... We booked in Sep. just because it was cheaper, due to Hurricane season, taking a BIG risk.We scrimped and saved, went without, counted months, weeks, days...Then happened to read here that disney was going to reward us with a discount,only 9 days before the cruise.I believe Sep. is the only month they do this in, and possibly due to Ernesto ? Yes we are happy, is it fair, no... Somehow maybe we are being rewarded for all the Hurricanes, Hot Humid weather, bugs...I am sorry, I didn't write to share and gloat. Just if some other Fl Res. could save some money then that would be nice. Again sorry. :guilty:

I think they need to fill the rooms to also get the workers their tips, and other areas that DCL makes money. And FL residents do not have to arrange air transportation. Making it easier for them to help fill the ships.

I too wish we could get better rates, then we might be able to cruise more frequently. DCL is filling their ships so they don't need me to come more frequently. C'est la vie.

Sorry Charlie - but when you want to move to FL and deal with everything in terms of a tourism state as well as hurricanes outrageous homeowner's etc...then you can too be eligible.

I am a FL resident and I booked my Dec 06 cruise in August of '05 than you very much and yes I am hoping they release FL rates for my cruise.

ETA: everyone has to pay a deposit and usually once FL rates are released its a PAY IN FULL deal....

and BTW - start looking at the glass half full....you seem to be hung up on what everyone else has.

Last year we sailed in Dec as well and I booked that over a year in advance....FL rates were released for EVERY week in Dec but ours.....sure the discount would have been nice but hey - that's life!! Make lemonade......

I guess this would just amount to a general price decrease which Disney does not do. We only sail DCL because of the discounts and wouldn't sail them otherwise as we consider other lines to be a better value generally.

Maybe it's not fair, but we have Florida resident annual passes as well and Disney knows that we are good for a couple of trips to WDW per year and, at least this year, 17 nights on DCL ships because of the discounts....it must be worth it to them. Without the discounts, we would probably be on Celebrity giving them our money.

Do feel that Disney could give special rates for DVC members also. Unfortunately think because we are from England also we do not get so many benefits. Know we can use our points but they are really way too high in points value to be reasonable.

Try living in Florida during the heat and humidity of the summer...

They should let us sail free just for that!

I live in Florida, and have paid for 4 Disney cruises. Never have I received a FL res. discount. They're only offered at certain times. If I could I would, but it just doesn't always work out that way. However I'm sure there are lots of Floridians who are VERY thankful for the discount. I know I ALWAYS take advantage of FL res. rates at Dis resorts, and park passes/tickets. THANK YOU DISNEY!

As a Florida Resident - I do think that there should be an amendment to the discount. When they release the discounts - they should only be available to new bookings. So, if I booked a cruise a year ago and a month before my cruise a discount comes out - I don't think I should be eligible for the discount. I know others won't agree.... but that is my .02.

kelly

The special Florida rates do depress me, but because the FL residents are probably already saving by not having to purchase airfare to get to the port in the first place. :firefight

Yes, some out of staters do drive, but we have reasons why we can't, and airfare for a family of 4 significantly increases the total cost of our cruise.

For that reason, I've been eyeing other cruise lines out of Baltimore and Norfolk that we will probably try after we take our next DCL cruise.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that if you had booked and you were past final payment date, if they came out with a fl rate they would not automatically give the discount. I thought in order to get the cheaper rate you would have to pay any penalty that is incurred for canceling after final payment date, and then you would receive the discounted rate, which would generally mean you weren't saving very much. Is this incorrect?

I know that other cruise lines offer different state discounts. But, they go REALLY fast and are only at certian times. They are also last minute and have to be paid in full when booked.

It wouldn't hurt Disney to include other states in this program. If anything, it might get them a cruiser that would other wise not sail with them.

dletz said:
I'm confused. I was under the impression that if you had booked and you were past final payment date, if they came out with a fl rate they would not automatically give the discount. I thought in order to get the cheaper rate you would have to pay any penalty that is incurred for canceling after final payment date, and then you would receive the discounted rate, which would generally mean you weren't saving very much. Is this incorrect?
Yes you are incorrect. We sailed in May, I booked last November. A discount came out after we had paid in full. I had to upgrade my room from a Cat. 5 to a Cat. 4 but still saved money. There were not any penalties. Believe me DCL got back every penny and MORE in onboard charges that I saved. I didn't nickle and dime everything because of the great savings. :teeth: :scared1:

but I always thought that Florida Residents got discounts to most of the "tourist" type items in Florida because of some "law". Meaning if any state money goes to help fund anything related to the tourist destinations then Florida Residents have already "paid" through sales tax, income tax, etc.

Again - I may be completely wrong on this but if someone knows for sure that would be good to know.

Off topic - but I kind of look at the reason why most folks who go to state schools (i.e. univerisities) in the state in which they reside pay less tuition - cause somehow the universities get some type of kickback or they pay less taxes, etc. to the state.

First to reply to the OP ... they cannot offer the discount to everyone ... as someone else already posted that would then require them to refund a lot of money on already booked rooms ... the purpose of the discounts is to fill empty rooms, not lose money on rooms already booked ... I know it sucks, but that's the economics of it all.

professorandmom said:
Perhaps it would be easier (and cheaper) to become a travel agent and get those rates....
If you actually knew what was involved in becoming a TA you might change your mind :) not to mention that even if the TA rates seem cheaper, when you balance it against all of the other aspects of being a TA (small margin of profit, costs associated with being a TA, etc.) you wouldn't save money in the long run.

Become a TA because you love the work, not because of the supposed (often nonexistant) discounts.

Becoming a WDW or DLR CM might be better so you could get the CM discounts on DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter