Florida Resident - visiting early and often!

staciabright

Life is Here to Enjoy!
To all: I am fairly new to this forum and hope I am not breaking any rules...

I have recently moved back to Florida (yeah!!!) and am SO excited about getting my Fl Res pass for WDW. I have never visited solo, but am slowly working up the nerve with help from all the terrific advice everyone offers.

My questions:
Anyone have experience using the Resident passes? Do you get offered additional discounts with the pass?
For those who live close enough to visit frequently, where do you stay? How do you keep costs down (to allow as many visits as possible)?

I would love to hear your experiences. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some of mine very soon!!

Thanks.

not a florida resident

some people live close enough to drive home - within an hour.

others join DVC. It is expensive but after 10 years (with fiancing less if you pay cash) - you are only paying the maintence fees.

I can stay in a studio at OKW for 8 point * $3.68 (or $3.01 if you don't count the property tax which you can write off on your IRA) = $24.68 ($24.01) per night Sun-thurs. this is only Jan, Sept, Oct, part of Nov and Dec. the only months the points required are higher.

I drive home on Friday then recover Sat/Sun - go to work on Monday.

I rent OKW for $80 a night (8 * $10). So if you don't go you can made money.

Since most people want to stay on-site than off-site it works quite well for me.

My DVC is one of the cheapest ways for me to stay on site.

I have another timeshare - South Africia which I pay $500 for at the time (I think they cost more now) - with a 5 year membership to RCI and the commission it was $1,000. So with the $149 exchange fee I can trade into most of the RCI timeshares in the area - there are 65 and building more all the time. So for less than most hotel room I get a week stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom.

I also have another timeshare in Panama City Beach. I trade it through II - II values it RCI does not. I get 2 weeks for this week. II charges $129 for the exchange, and $299 for the extra week if you use it. I can generally find Marriott and this year I got a DVC - SSR. Only a studio but I think it was GREAT. My cousin was staying this month in a Marriott with the extra week.

I love Disney so Orlando is my first choice. SInce there are so many timeshares in the area - the trades are pretty good.

to get a cheap hotel takes more planning. are you familiar with Kissimmee it generally has some of the cheapest rooms in the are. (although this is quickly changing I am afraid)

www.floridakiss.com
their visitors bureau

www.hotelkingdom.com
less some hotels for very reasonable prices

www.hotelmartusa.com
also list hotels and houses again for a reasonable price

I have used them both - they kept their promises.

you have to decide for you what is the best method.

DH and I have visited about 4 times this calendar year (we lose track!) and plan at least one weekend in October, November, and December. There are Florida resident discounts at the resorts which we take advantage of.

We generally stay at the Value Resorts to save $$$, and have also stayed offsite. A couple of times we Pricelined a hotel for $26-$31 per night offsite, but if I were planning to go solo, I would definitely stay onsite. Onsite just seems much safer and more convenient (free transportation, great food courts).

We're 2 hours and 15 minutes away from Disney, which we don't consider close enough for daytrips--we always spend the night when we go (usually we stay 2-3 nights).

By FL Resident Pass, do you mean the Annual Pass or the Seasonal Pass? The latter is the one that only FL residents can purchase, but has blackout dates and restrictions.

I live an hour northeast of WDW and have had the annual pass for many years. Yes, there are occasionally FL Resident rates offered for stays on WDW property and any FL Resident (passholder or not) can take advantage. However, being an FL Resident passholder does not automatically entitle you to the discount because there are a limited number of rooms offered at those prices, so you often have to nab them as soon as they are available to book.

Great Information - thanks to everyone. I am going to get my pass (I'll start with the seasonal pass) today and plan to take my first SOLO in October!

This is definately new territory for me, since I seldom do anything alone (now if they let me bring my dog... that may be different...)! BUT, I am all for stretching my comfort zone.

Good advise about staying on-site... I'll start looking into pricing. Anyone have info on the camp site (Camp Wilderness, I think)... I can go either way :)

Also.... what's with the green ribbon?

Thanks! Hope your having a fantastic day!

Hi staciabright. I'm about 2 hours south of WDW. :)

Another option, if you cant get a good rate on site, would be to try priceline. I usually book a room in the Lake Buena Vista area, often getting one within walking distance of DTD.

this site back in the old days - use to be lime green.

so when diser's meet in the park they would use a lime green ribbon.

Hi..

Spouse and I spend Jan, Feb and March just south of Disney...yes, annual passes are great. We do the seasonal pass since we are not there in summer and stay away from the holiday crowds...we love it...
We can head over to the parks at 5 or 6 PM, catch dinner, do some people watching, see new shows at EPCOT, and then catch the fireworks...a dream come true!!!

Our favorite perk is the Disney Dining Experience for the Florida Residents. It is about $60.00/year but gives you 20% off all food and drinks including alcohol at almost every Disney Restaurant. It is good for up to 8 people so one dinner with a group of 8 almost pays for the card or just 4 or 5 dinners for 2 and you are even. It is great. Also gives you free parking at the parks after 5PM if you don't have other parking plans. Also free valet parking at any Disney hotel when you go to dinner.

Don't tell anyone, but most of the time if you show your seasonal pass any time at the parking lots, they will let you in.

Other perks for Florida residents include hotel deals and lots of odds and ends discounts including discounts to things like Mickey's Christmas Party.

We really enjoy the pass...let us know if any questions...

Grandpa Ted

The DDE Card is only $50 per year now for Passholders. It is now good for up to NINE people (sometimes up to 10), but all must be on one check. The discount is for food and beverages at most (but not quite all) sit-down restaurants at WDW parks and Resort. At Animal Kingdom it is also good at Tusker House, Pizzafari and Flame Tree Barbecue counter service as well as Restaurantasaurus (since the latter is a character meal and they don't want to limit the discount to that), since the Rainforest Cafe is NOT owned by Disney (no discount there unless you join the RF's Safari Club).

The DDE discount is not valid Easter, Mother's Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, December 24, December 25, December 31 and January 1. Also, most of the restaurants will not give you the discount on any "special" (such as a daily discounted menu item), since it is for regular menu selections only.

As for free parking with a Seasonal Pass - I have not heard of that. Do they do that in the slower months? I have an AP so that is not an issue for me, but it surprises me that Disney would pass up any opportunity to rake in that parking money.

Hi...thanks for the update...nice new price and more folks on the tab..good deal.

By rule, you are not allowed parking with seasonal pass, but if we just show the parking person the jacket and the pass they will usually just wave us in...All the best...Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter