Florida resident rates

Abra Cat

DIS Veteran
We just invited my mother-in-law to go to WDW with us in December. She's a Florida resident, but we are not. Would she be able to make our reservation using a Florida resident discount, and apply it to our stay, too? We'd likely all be sharing one room. Thanks!

If they are discounted for Florida residents, you will have to show proof of residency at the gate. ~:D~

I am a Florida resident and have a florida resident annual pass and they have never asked to see proof at the gate when we enter the parks (although, and this might be what SuzyQue meant...they DO check when you initially buy the passes) Other than that, the only time I am asked for proof of residency is when I use my Disney Dining card. By the way, if your mom has time DEFINATELY have her call in for her Disney dining card (it takes about two weeks to be mailed to you). It is $60 and gives Fl. residents 20% off almost all sit-down restaurants at Disney (including drinks, etc). She can use it for up to six people dining with her too!

I second the motion on the Disney Dining card. It paid for itself on our first family vacation. Up to 6 people on one card getting 20% off at character meals saved us a bundle!

I believe the original question was for hotel reservations. If you were talking about park passes, each individual wouls have to show proof of residency to activate the pass. After that you don't need anything.

Okay, she can't buy your passes- no way around that , but
the resort discounts are usually better by $10 than the AP rate . She will have to put it on her credit card and you can pay her your share. She can reserve more than 1 room. I do recommend getting two rooms, if you will be there for more than a couple of days.

Thank you all, for the good advice. What we'll probably do then, is write her a check for the cost of the hotel, and she can put it on her credit card. We're planning to buy our passes through Ticketmania, but if the FL resident's rate is better, we'll ask her to buy hers and then reimburse her. I don't know if we'll do the Disney Dining card, as tempting as it sounds. Reimbursing her before the trip is easy enough, but it might get more complicated as we're day-to-day in the parks. I'll definitely mention it to my husband though— thanks again!

I just thought of another question— Does it matter who calls to make the reservation, as long as my mother-in-law is at check-in with her FL driver's license? What I mean is, rather than having her call to make the reservation, and giving her a list of instructions about what kind of room we want, etc, could I make the call myself? I guess the deposit would have to be on her credit card, so that probably wouldn't work, huh?

As long as you have all the info...credit card, address, phone no etc.....

She also may purchase your passes as I have done this many times for friends. I have annuals and when we go to a park I just walk up and buy for them. They are not to know that I have annuals and beyond the time of purchase nobody is asked again for proof of residency. I also have the DDE card and again, have never been asked for proof of I.D only over the phone when ordering. I know others say they have been asked again...I just have not!

Good Luck! :-)

minnie..just a question about your DDE card, are you a part time resident?

The unfortunate thing about this discount card, which we have..is the savings for food courts are only PO & the AS.

Abra Cat~~~I would rethink using the DDE card for FL residents. I don't remember if you mentioned how many will be traveling with you to Disney, but as a couple have mentioned, the card will pay for itself in about 3 meals or so with a 20% discount. If it's you, your spouse, and mother-in-law for example, that card will pay for itself in two meals (dinners to be exact) with just the three of you. DH and myself can have our card paid for with 5 good dinners and 2 character meals with just the two of us. Being there for 6 days and 5 nights, that will be so easy to do. I've already got the restaurants picked out too!! :D :o Think about using that card, it will free up quite a bit of money for other fun stuff. You can pay your MIL back for the card the moment you see her and your money will come back to you before you know it. HAVE A BLAST!! :jester:

Thanks, Tiggerlover. I did some figuring though, and since we're only planning on two sit down meals (the rest will be counter service, which I understand is not covered by the Disney Dining card), we still wouldn't break even on the cost of the card.

Actually, there are quite a few counter service restaurants covered by the card. I've done my research too and that's why I can't wait to use it! :jester: DH and I will be staying at the ASMu resort and their Intermission Food Court is on the list, so is Tusker House at the AK. The last one DH and I haven't tried yet and it's on the list for May. :rolleyes: :p

Here's a list, check it out and see if any of the counterservice restaurants you'll be dining at are on it:

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort - World Premiere Food Court Disney's All-Star Music Resort - Intermission Food Court
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort - End Zone Food Court
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge - Boma - The Flavors of Africa, Jiko - The Cooking Place, Victoria Falls
Disney's Beach Club Resort - Beaches & Cream Soda Shop (excludes take-out shop), Cape May Cafe, Martha's Vineyard Lounge, Rip Tide Lounge
Disney's BoardWalk - ESPN® Club, Flying Fish Cafe, Spoodles, Bellevue Lounge
Disney's Bonnet Creek Golf Club - Sand Trap Bar & Grill
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Shutters at Old Port Royale (opening January 2003)
Disney's Contemporary Resort - California Grill, California Grill Lounge, Chef Mickey's, Concourse Steakhouse, Outer Rim Lounge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - Maya Grill
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground - Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (9:30 p.m. show only), Trail's End Buffeteria
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1900 Park Fare, Citricos, Garden View Lounge, Grand Floridian Cafe, Mizner's Lounge, Narcoossee's, Victoria & Albert's (excludes Chef's Table)
Disney's Old Key West Resort - Olivia's Cafe
Disney's Polynesian Resort - Kona Cafe, 'Ohana, Tambu Lounge, Polynesian Luau (Late show only)
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter - Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory, Scat Cat's Club
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside - Boatwright's Dining Hall, River Roost

Disney's Wilderness Lodge - Artist Point, Territory Lounge, Whispering Canyon Cafe
Disney's Yacht Club Resort - Yacht Club Galley, Ale and Compass Lounge, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Crews Cup Lounge
DOWNTOWN DISNEY® Area - Cap'n Jack's Restaurant and Bar, Wolfgang Puck® Cafe
Epcot®; - L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Restaurant, Les Chefs de France, Nine Dragons Restaurant, San Angel Inn Restaurante, Bistro de Paris Restaurant, Le Cellier Steakhouse, Biergarten Restaurant, Restaurant Marrakesh, Restaurant Akershus, Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room, The Garden Grill, Coral Reef Restaurant
Disney-MGM Studios - Hollywood & Vine, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Tune-In Lounge, Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, The Hollywood Brown Derby
Magic Kingdom® Park - The Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Royal Table, Liberty Tree Tavern, The Plaza Restaurant, Tony's Town Square Restaurant
Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park - Tusker House Restaurant, Pizzafari, Flame Tree Barbeque, Restaurantosaurus
Entertainment & Dancing
DOWNTOWN DISNEY® Pleasure Island*
Half-price admission for each Club Member, except for specially priced events.

Yes......

I have owned property in Florida for 20 years and spend approximately 3-5 months total down there! :-)

If my math is correct, you will have to spend $300 in order to start officially enjoying 20% off of your meals. The membership is $60, 20% of $300 is $60. If you think you will be spending more than $300 on food at mostly sit down service restaurants, the DDE works for you.

I love being a member, I save a fortune!

BTW, don't try to use the DDE card at the Japanese restaurant in Epcot, they don't participate. I found that out the hard way! :(

Originally posted by Eljay
If my math is correct, you will have to spend $300 in order to start officially enjoying 20% off of your meals. The membership is $60, 20% of $300 is $60. If you think you will be spending more than $300 on food at mostly sit down service restaurants, the DDE works for you.

I love being a member, I save a fortune!

Your math is correct! That is what I figured out for myself. I'm sure that over 6 days and 5 nights of dining DH and I will be able to get our $60 back in no time! :jester: :p

you guys are correct...we are ap holders and use dde all the time...it has payed for itself easily and it covers drinks!....a great value!

Yes, it does cover drinks! I recently used it to pay a bar tab at the California Grille. We always get a bottle of wine with dinner, nice to get 20% off of that too! :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter