Florida Residency??

jrogalny

jenn
Happy Friday Everyone. Hey, have a question for you. What are the requirements for becoming a Florida Resident? My family lives down there (while I'm up north). I was just wondering ... maybe one day we'll be snowbirds!!

Driver's License
Voter Registration
If you own (or are purchasing) your home record it as "homesteaded" (which will save a lot on property taxes).
Abandon your previous (out of state) residence if you are renting

Florida has a homestead exemption set forth in the state constitution. There are a few parts to it, but basically when you own your home, you kind of "max out" the tax increase. I think it can only increase up to a max of 3% per year. That is why it is bad news to move in Florida (for some people). For ex, we are homesteaded in with a very low tax rate. If we move, we have to start all over again. Yes, we can take advantage of the ceiling, but it would still be a higher tax than we currently pay.

The homestead exemption also provides for a few other things - It also means that creditors can't go after your home, and when you die and devise your home to someone in your family (the language is very specific and you must follow it to keep the exemption), they also can take advantage of the tax max out.

what do you mean by "devise your home to someone in the family".

I know there is a declaration of domicile tht you can fill out and register, declaring Florida as your home state. The say you need to live there 6 months and one day, but noone really pays attention to it.

This is from the website I posted under the section about MOVING TO FLORIDA

Establishing Legal Residency

To become a resident of Florida, a person must establish a home or a permanent dwelling place and demonstrate the intent to make Florida the place of permanent legal residence. There is no fixed waiting period required before a person can become a resident. Simply produce proof of intent to establish residence by filing a sworn statement with the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county where your new residence is located. There is a fee, and a driver's license or other picture identification is required for recording the affidavit.

The residency period required to establish eligibility for the following may be determined from the date the statement is filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

Florida allows for dual residency. You can get a snowbirds drivers license and keep you old license. The Florida only driver’s license is good only in the state of Florida. Go to the DMV (make an appointment online it’s faster) show your current drivers license, passport or birth certificate, SS card and pay $20.
You may need to show some proof of a residence in Florida. All you need to do is mail your self a letter addressed to you at a friend or relatives house.
We spend 5 weeks every summer and I travel to Florida for work during the year so we think it makes sense to have a Florida Only license

There are benefits to having a Florida drivers license that we think worth spending $20 and a few hours at the DVM once every 5 years.

I hope this helps :)

Please no flaming me :firefight
I pay my state taxed to Arizona :thumbsup2

When you leave it to someone in your will, if it passes pursuant to everything in the FL constitution re: homestead, you can continue the homestead exemption when you leave it to them (must be spouse/family, etc)

what do you mean by "devise your home to someone in the family".

I know there is a declaration of domicile tht you can fill out and register, declaring Florida as your home state. The say you need to live there 6 months and one day, but noone really pays attention to it.

Wow, Grand Canyon. You have me thinking now.

We own a condo in Florida and rent it out seasonally. We pay plenty of taxes each year. (11% for each rental plus the county taxes)

We've always wondered if there was some way of getting a FL drivers license to get the Disney Discount. Guess I'll check into it when were are there next time.

Thanks for the info!
Leigh

When you leave it to someone in your will, if it passes pursuant to everything in the FL constitution re: homestead, you can continue the homestead exemption when you leave it to them (must be spouse/family, etc)

I think it is all the legalese that is confusing people ;) (devise, pursuant, etc.)

Wow, Grand Canyon. You have me thinking now.

We own a condo in Florida and rent it out seasonally. We pay plenty of taxes each year. (11% for each rental plus the county taxes)

We've always wondered if there was some way of getting a FL drivers license to get the Disney Discount. Guess I'll check into it when were are there next time.

Thanks for the info!
Leigh

FYI, there are 2 types of FL Drivers' Licenses, a Florida Only License which means that it is valid in Florida ONLY (the one Grand Canyon is talking about) and your other state License is valid in the other 49 states outside of Florida and a regular Florida license where you have to give up your out of state license.

Disney will only accept a REGULAR Florida Drivers' License for proof of residency for the discounts. They exclude the Valid in Florida Only Licenses as proof of eligibility for the FL discounts. Of course, you might luck out with a new CM who wasn't well trained who will give it to someone with a FL Only DL - but I wouldn't count on it. :rolleyes1

HTH

FYI, there are 2 types of FL Drivers' Licenses, a Florida Only License which means that it is valid in Florida ONLY (the one Grand Canyon is talking about) and your other state License is valid in the other 49 states outside of Florida and a regular Florida license where you have to give up your out of state license.

Disney will only accept a REGULAR Florida Drivers' License for proof of residency for the discounts. They exclude the Valid in Florida Only Licenses as proof of eligibility for the FL discounts. Of course, you might luck out with a new CM who wasn't well trained who will give it to someone with a FL Only DL - but I wouldn't count on it. :rolleyes1

HTH

This is true. I was behind someone in line once who was trying to use a Fl only license and weren't allowed to. They were really PO'ed!:rotfl2:

When we first moved to FL, before we changed our licenses etc, we were able to get Disney Resident Passes by showing our current utility bill. That was 11 years ago so things may have gotten harder to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter