Florida AP holders

We do the same with the Star Wars fireworks. Stroll in to HS about 8, snag a carrot cake cookie, and take quick walk before the show. Then sit and people watch for a bit as everyone bee lines for the exits
pixiedust:

Since moving to Florida 9 years ago, we've always had the Silver (Seasonal?) pass and averaged about 5 days per month (from Oct. to May) on site. We live only about 90 minutes away, but don't do day or weekend trips. Never cared to go during the black out days, as you couldn't get me there kicking and screaming during summer, Christmas, or spring break.

We always book the value resorts, with cheapest room possible since we really don't care about that. We have done all the deluxe resorts multiple times over the years. Since we have experienced those, our priorities at this point in our life are just to get there cheap and often. We also tend to go during the week as Friday and Saturday resort rates are higher. We take advantage of every passholder and FL resident special to get great rates. Our last stay at Sports was $66 a night.

We had to take a 3 year hiatus from Disney, caring for one of our adult son's who sustained massive brain injuries (as well as titanium implanted leg) in 2013. We are now ready to return and were thrilled to see the new weekday-only passes, since that is our preference. Lower resort rates and typically less crowed parks than weekends.

Since we drive, we also bring a microwave, groceries to stock the fridge and a large cooler for drinks. We are really into doing Disney on the cheap. We could go less often and eat pricey food / stay at pricey resorts. We have opted to go more often and just eat out once per day and stay as inexpensively as possible.

At one time, my husband did get burned out as we had spent nearly a month at WDW in a 90 day period. I just went by myself. Even so, he got more than his money's worth out of his pass, and returned with me the following visit.

Last edited:
Since moving to Florida 9 years ago, we've always had the Silver pass and averaged about 5 days per month (from Oct. to May) on site. We live only about 90 minutes away, but don't do day or weekend trips. Never cared to go during the black out days, as you couldn't get me there kicking and screaming during summer, Christmas, or spring break.

We always book the value resorts, with cheapest room possible since we really don't care about that. We have done all the deluxe resorts multiple times over the years. Since we have experienced those, our priorities at this point in our life are just to get there cheap and often. We also tend to go during the week as Friday and Saturday resort rates are higher. We take advantage of every passholder and FL resident special to get great rates. Our last stay at Sports was $66 a night.

We had to take a 3 year hiatus from Disney, caring for one of our adult son's who sustained massive brain injuries (as well as titanium implanted leg) in 2013. We are now ready to return and were thrilled to see the new weekday-only passes, since that is our preference. Lower resort rates and typically less crowed parks than weekends.

Since we drive, we also bring a microwave, groceries to stock the fridge and a large cooler for drinks. We are really into doing Disney on the cheap. We could go less often and eat pricey food / stay at pricey resorts. We have opted to go more often and just eat out once per day and stay as inexpensively as possible.

At one time, my husband did get burned out as we had spent nearly a month at WDW in a 90 day period. I just went by myself. Even so, he got more than his money's worth out of his pass, and returned with me the following visit.
Silver passes are new as of last fall.

Silver passes are new as of last fall.

Well whatever they were calling them at that time. I actually looked at Disney's website to find out the name of the passes that we had and came up with Silver. They were annual passes that blocked out summer, Christmas week, and spring break. Perhaps they were called Seasonal Passes? I honestly don't remember.

ETA - Since I never empty my email folders, I just happened to find an old receipt with the name of the passes we used to get. TADA! In any event, the weekday (or whatever the official name of them are) ones are a better fit for us and cheaper.

RbDOe7s.jpg

Last edited:
The real beauty of an AP is when out of state friends and family come to visit you then you don't have to buy one or two day tickets to the parks.

What a great thread! We are currently deciding whether or not to get APs since we're now FL residents (leaning towards getting them!) How does everyone find out about the AP and FL resident discounts, special events, discounted hotel rates, etc? I'm afraid that we'll get APs and miss out on things just bc we don't know about them.

What a great thread! We are currently deciding whether or not to get APs since we're now FL residents (leaning towards getting them!) How does everyone find out about the AP and FL resident discounts, special events, discounted hotel rates, etc? I'm afraid that we'll get APs and miss out on things just bc we don't know about them.

Once you get your AP you will receive a small pamphlet listing all of the AP discounts. You will also receive periodic emails and post office mail with news and offers. You can also find the information in the members section on the WDW website. Once behind the login there is a place under the Places to Stay section where you click to see "Special Offers". Special Passholder hotel discounts will be listed there along with all of the other offers.

We live near Pensacola. As far away from Disney as you can possibly get in Florida except maybe the Keys. This our first year with Premium Plus Passes. We will do a total of five trips trips with two being in Fort Wilderness. The others in a cheaper hotel in Kissimee. I'm on the fence if I'm going to renew or skip a year or two to let all the construction get done.

Yup,we live in Key West,truly as far away you can get in Florida. It's a 6 hour drive if there are no traffic issues,so,doable in a day. We drive up the day before,stay at the Radisson just outside Disney Springs, do Raglan Road for dinner and check into the WL in the morning.
We've been buying the AP for the last four years on the budget plan that's open to Florida residents. Paying monthly makes it hurt a lot less. We make sure we go twice a year,because that feels like we're getting our money's worth out of it. When they changed the AP levels we moved to Gold. When going twice a year, 8-9 days each time,we want as many days available to us as possible, to offer the most flexibility. When we went last December,the black out days started our last two days there,but we spent those days touring the resorts,so the December black out days are no problem. We are not interested in the water parks. We do Disney taking advantage of the adult only/ mostly offerings- wine tasting,lots of tours.......
We've taken archery lessons,carriage rides,go bowling,AMC Fork and Dine Movies,walk the trail between WL and FW seeing deer and woodpeckers, sit on the Disney Springs boat going in a circle past a few resorts......so far,we haven't run out of things to do,maybe because we only go twice a year. So we'll probably renew this December, because,so far,it's worth it to us. We like not having to stress over which park on which day,letting us do what we feel like,so it's working well for our vacation expectations and lifestyle. Oh,we also use the TIW card,as we do love the signature restaurants and we eat out enough while there,to make us feel that we're getting our money's worth out of that also....there's also the AP discount in some stores....not a big discount,but we'll take whatever the Mouse offers.

Last edited:
According to Google maps Pensacola and Key West are the exact same driving distance. Depending on traffic of coarse. I actually live in Mobile AL about 60 miles West of Pensacola. But also own property near Pensacola (Milton) where I grew up. I spend all my off time there and claim Florida residency. I agree we need a Florida Resident forum.

We moved down 4 months ago. We are about 90 minutes away, in Homosassa...I think we will do silver pass, as I have no desire to go in the hot hot hot hot summer, or during the most crowded times...my question is more : what is the wisest time to buy the pass, or does it matter? If we won't go in the blackout summertime, does it make sense to get them this fall, right after? or it really doesnt matter since the same times are blacked out yearly. Or, buy soon as they normally raise ticket prices around this time of the year.
ps- yes to Fla resident board!

We moved down 4 months ago. We are about 90 minutes away, in Homosassa...I think we will do silver pass, as I have no desire to go in the hot hot hot hot summer, or during the most crowded times...my question is more : what is the wisest time to buy the pass, or does it matter? If we won't go in the blackout summertime, does it make sense to get them this fall, right after? or it really doesnt matter since the same times are blacked out yearly. Or, buy soon as they normally raise ticket prices around this time of the year.
ps- yes to Fla resident board!
I don't think it matters much about when you buy.
When we first moved here we bought ours the next time we visited WDW.
Gotta have it for F&W !!!!

Welcome to Florida!

MG

We have a Silver pass this year-we alternate years with Universal passes. We're about 2 hours away and go for a long weekend about every other month when we're not blacked out. For some reason this year I haven't gotten one Mickey Monitor, but when I go on the disney world website and sign in, all the Florida resident promos show up for me. If I'm looking at tickets, it shows me Florida resident prices, when I look at resorts it shows me Florida resident promos.

I just moved back to the Tampa Bay area (so about 1.5 hours away) . I have already taken one evening trip - went after work on a Friday until after 11 pm then drove home (no money, except gas spent - no parking, I ate dinner in car, brought a little snack, ate at home, no shopping) it was awesome.

I have the next two weekends carved out for half days at different parks. It was lovely to not feel rushed - oh no fast pass for this and it is an hour wait? i'll go another time and find something else to do. it was so relaxing and magical and fun.

I have silver and blackouts are fine for me bc i have no desire for main summer and holiday crowds. I have a dog to worry about so most likely will just do half day trips - rare all day trip but probably not stay in a hotel.

live 45 mins to an hour away when we were younger we went what seemed like weekly now as were older responsible adults we go in spurts (like today we went to Epcot for 4 hours did the 2 rides we wanted with a few extra surprises and left)

We're Floridians, but have been out of state for a while due to my husband's job (we still claim FL residency, licenses, etc). I tend to go back home whenever he's away for an extended amount of time, and if it's the better part of a year...I'll spring for passes for myself and the kids, once they need them. Most recently was last year that my son and I had annual passes. Our hometown is about 2.5 hours away, we have multiple family members with passes as well as some that are cast members, and we did a decent sized trip both when my husband was home on leave and also when he came home at the end of his tour. Needless to say, those passes were well worth the money spent. Now we're moving back to Florida for good next year, and looking at living even closer, so passes will definitely be happening. Especially since I'm the type that would love to go to Disney just for a date night or something. I'm not sure which passes we'll get this time, as I see they've changed a bit. I usually do the math, and with as much as we love the world and as often as we end up going, I consider them to be "paid for" pretty quickly...by like the third or fourth trip!

(like today we went to Epcot for 4 hours did the 2 rides we wanted with a few extra surprises and left)

We are down in FL for a short "summer vacation" to our snowbird home. We also went over to Epcot this morning. Did the new Soarin' for the first time. Unfortunately DW was done in by the heat so we decided just to head back home. We did meet up with some friends Wednesday evening for dinner at the Biergarten. But I think we will do most of our Disney visits during the cooler seasons.

I just moved back to the Tampa Bay area (so about 1.5 hours away) . I have already taken one evening trip - went after work on a Friday until after 11 pm then drove home (no money, except gas spent - no parking, I ate dinner in car, brought a little snack, ate at home, no shopping) it was awesome.

I have the next two weekends carved out for half days at different parks. It was lovely to not feel rushed - oh no fast pass for this and it is an hour wait? i'll go another time and find something else to do. it was so relaxing and magical and fun.

I have silver and blackouts are fine for me bc i have no desire for main summer and holiday crowds. I have a dog to worry about so most likely will just do half day trips - rare all day trip but probably not stay in a hotel.

We are looking at a move to Tampa next year, so I'm glad to know it's an easy little hop back and forth! We are all over the place with which area of Tampa to live in, though! So many options and so much information to consider!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter