• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flooding at BWV?

Repairs should be covered by insurance. At least homeowners insurance generally covers water damage due to burst pipes. We actually had a flood in our office waiting room due to an upstairs tenant who bled the radiators but failed to close the valve completely. Ceiling, carpets, furniture, electronics were all covered by insurance, minus our deductible.

Yikes - good to hear & glad everything was covered!

Repairs should be covered by insurance. At least homeowners insurance generally covers water damage due to burst pipes. We actually had a flood in our office waiting room due to an upstairs tenant who bled the radiators but failed to close the valve completely. Ceiling, carpets, furniture, electronics were all covered by insurance, minus our deductible.
Yes, I’m sure some of our dues go for insurance. Disney also has such a large maintenance staff and capacity that I wouldn’t be surprised if they can handle it all internally (although I’m sure our dues cover contingencies like that) and just have to buy furniture, etc.

This reminds me of our first stay as DVC members. It was 20 years ago. At BWV the plumbing would make this terrible banging and moaning noice at night.
I asked at the desk to have someone check the rooms plumbing.
The CM told me it was because of a severe drought.
We did not let it ruin our trip.
We were young and excited to be there.Did anyone one else's remember this?

Yes, I’m sure some of our dues go for insurance. Disney also has such a large maintenance staff and capacity that I wouldn’t be surprised if they can handle it all internally (although I’m sure our dues cover contingencies like that) and just have to buy furniture, etc.

There was a renovation company working on the 2nd floor today. We saw their vehicles parked by the canal and the workers outside the flooded villas. There are still fans on the 2nd floor, and the flooded villas still have their doors partially ajar. We could see inside one studio and all the furnishings were in a pile in the center of the room.

Update: Received an email today apologizing for the inconvenience and offering a com0limentary 3 night stay at a number of DVC resorts. Some are excluded. I did not ask for any compensation and am pleasantly surprised!

As to the insurance inquiry, the POS declarations actually require that property and casualty insurance be carried and a typical property insurance policy for a resort would cover the repair of any damage due to bursting pipes, and that includes not just repair of the building but also repair or replacement of any damaged personal property that is part of the building and rooms such as any furniture in the rooms. In other words, it is highly unlikely you will be charged anything for the repairs that occur. There is some risk that the next year's insurance premium may go up a little.

Oh no, my poor home away from home.
While maintenance fees will likely go up, I’m glad I’m not the one in search for a plumber and contractor to fix it all.

We are checking in tomorrow(Sunday), and I spoke to someone yesterday at the front desk,(we have a complicated res and we were encouraged to talk to the front desk a couple of days before). She told me that the problem was fixed and that the rooms should be back in inventory by Sunday.

She also told me that our room was assigned already and was empty until we arrive. And that it should be ready for our 1:30 arrival time. Great news!

We are checking in tomorrow(Sunday), and I spoke to someone yesterday at the front desk,(we have a complicated res and we were encouraged to talk to the front desk a couple of days before). She told me that the problem was fixed and that the rooms should be back in inventory by Sunday.

She also told me that our room was assigned already and was empty until we arrive. And that it should be ready for our 1:30 arrival time. Great news!
We checked into a Pool View studio Friday at 7:10am and our room was already available, so it seems they have adequate inventory. Got our location request too! No sign of any water issues anywhere but we were only in the lobby, near the health club, and on the 5th floor.

We're flying down today (Monday) and staying in a one bedroom. Hoping everything is back to normal.

Jim

I checked out today. I stayed on the third floor but was able to see down to the second floor where the damage was. They are definitely still in the process of repairing them. They had tarps up blocking the rooms from sight. All the rooms on the second floor above Wyland Galleries appeared empty and the gallery its self was closed (I don’t know if that is Covid or water damage related) I did get my standard view room upgraded to pool view and got my room ready text at 7:30am.

Have they essentially closed 1/2 of the 2nd floor if it can’t access the lone bank of elevators?

Have they essentially closed 1/2 of the 2nd floor if it can’t access the lone bank of elevators?
I’m not sure. That section of rooms above Wyland galleries looked to be out of commission. I can’t speak for the remainder of that floor.

2nd floor is open with the exception of a few villas around where the ceiling collapsed. There is access to the elevators. Only a portion of the hallway is closed off. We just spent a week on the 2nd floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter